Hull it is then! (Well almost certain)

IoW Derby

1 hour ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

During the 4-0 you matched us until 1-0 (a goal which was only scored due to an unfortunate slip) and then you seemed to fall apart. Do you feel as though you struggle to come back from losing positions?

That's a very fair assessment in my book. We've only won twice this season having come back from losing positions (Reading home & away). When we went 1-0 down at your place I had zero faith in us coming back to win the game. Having said that, we were on a pretty baron goalscoring run at that time, so the idea of us bagging 2 seemed unlikely.

One thing that has picked up in the last few outings has been goals (12 in our last 6 games). On that front, I'd know be a little more hopeful about our chances should we go a goal behind. Generally speaking we play far better when we take the lead. It forces the opposition to come at us, creating more gaps in behind and counter-attacking potential. We also tend to play with a bit more freedom. We've only dropped 4 points from winning positions all season I believe. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, HantsRam said:

I did take a look at a Hull forum and can concur with what you're saying. Couldn't find the details of what the scheme is and why it has ticked everyone off so much but there is a quite widely held view that promotion will mean for Hull that....

The Allams stick around

The membership scheme is implemeted.

But theres a nasty catch 22 in that without promotion the club is not likely to be worth selling by the Allams and the majority of the fanbase seem to want to get rid - assume thats fair halftime?

Can't be easy geeing up the players in those circumstances, class though the team is.

The scheme has ticked people off because there are no concessions. Under next seasons scheme you pay for your seat, regardless of who you are. 1-year-olds and 90-year-olds pay the same as 30-year-old's. Unsurprisingly, its caused something of a stir, and some protests are due for tonights game. It's also come off the back of 5/6 decisions made by the Allams over the last few years which have angered people.

You're pretty much bang on with that assessment. The worry is that with PL footy the tickets will sell regardless, hence the Allams will get away with an idea which is potentially hugely detrimental to the future of the club. But as you said, if we want new owners, promotion is crucial, as we are not a particularly attractive proposition as a Championship club. 

19 minutes ago, ahalftimereport said:

The scheme has ticked people off because there are no concessions. Under next seasons scheme you pay for your seat, regardless of who you are. 1-year-olds and 90-year-olds pay the same as 30-year-old's. Unsurprisingly, its caused something of a stir, and some protests are due for tonights game. It's also come off the back of 5/6 decisions made by the Allams over the last few years which have angered people.

You're pretty much bang on with that assessment. The worry is that with PL footy the tickets will sell regardless, hence the Allams will get away with an idea which is potentially hugely detrimental to the future of the club. But as you said, if we want new owners, promotion is crucial, as we are not a particularly attractive proposition as a Championship club. 

well, good luck with getting the best outcome for your club ahalftimereport. That does sound an incredibly harsh scheme - is this the Allams retribution for the "Hull Tigers" idea getting blocked?

• All this we have to finish blah blah blah, no lucky charms or voodoo needed - does not matter where we finish in the 4th to 6th position -  In the play offs all we have to do is win one, draw one and win another -in that order. :thumbsup:

40 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

well, good luck with getting the best outcome for your club ahalftimereport. That does sound an incredibly harsh scheme - is this the Allams retribution for the "Hull Tigers" idea getting blocked?

Cheers HantsRam. Without boring you with the details, when Allam first acquired the club he tried to purchase the stadium and surrounding areas from the council free of charge. When rejected, he became very bitter and petulant. The 'Hull Tigers' rebrand was essentially an attempt to take the club as far away from 'Hull City Council' as possible. Obviously a great many fans were unhappy with the name change proposal and despite twice being rejected by the FA and the idea now being dead, the club insist on calling us Hull Tigers or anything but Hull City whenever allowed (academy name, hospitality areas, etc). 

Other issues have included the Allams taking the ASI fund rather than using it to reduce ticket prices (incase you don't know, the ASI fund is £200,000 given to each PL club to reduce away ticket prices or offer free travel, City were the only club not to use there's for this reason). There was also a fiasco with the Airco Arena, a community facility free to the public and used for a variety of sports which Allam managed to turn into our academy pitch required for a grade 2 academy, thus leaving a number of sports teams without a home.

All this in a few years which has seen us play Premier League football, reach an FA Cup final and play in Europe. Sadly one of the finest periods in the clubs history has been rather spoilt. 

On 25 April 2016 at 10:22, Simsy said:

I would be surprised if Hull don't mix things up or have a game plan against us. They will have an in-depth study of how we play and I can see Bryson being man marked so they can leave Martin isolated. What I mean is I think Bruce could name our starting 11 and system so they have a few weeks to work out how to beat that. Hopefully no matter what they do they just wont be able to compete with our lot!

I am certainly not saying we wont beat them, I just wouldn't be surprised if we did lose all from a Bruce tactical master class!

If Hull man-mark Bryson, we'll batter them again. That would be the stupidest thing they could do.

On 4/26/2016 at 12:58, ramsbottom said:

And that game was a complete non-event.  Preston sat 8 behind the ball, in typical King Bill-eh style we we created zilch...

I for one am very wary of Hull, Bruce is no mug and despite our performances in both games this season there were tight margins in both games that could've sent the result the other way.  I'm struggling to remember if they went 3 at the back in either game, anyone remember?

Without Dawson they are poor in defence.

2 hours ago, Rampage said:

Without Dawson they are poor in defence.

Dawson will be fit for the play-offs, and will probably get a run out vs Rotherham to keep him fresh, although a lot of people want to see Maguire in for either Daws/Davies, not that I can see Bruce dropping either of them. 

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Huddleston, your job is to stick to Bryson like glue.

He'd need to come off after 30 minutes!

Remember what happened the last time a team tried to mark our runners?

Here's a clue.

I'll never forget Ned Kelly's post match comments...

“We worked on certain things for Derby and, given what we had worked on, it was disappointing when it came to the execution of those things on the Saturday.

“We were disappointed in how we defended; in going behind so quickly, having worked on matching runners, being compact and getting close to people."

Any excuse to post that :whistle:

You'd like to think (as a hull fan at least )having failed twice, Hull will have half a plan to deal with us this time.

Id be amazed if they let our runners run freely and dont have a deep attacking player or attacking midfielder closing down Thorne.

15 hours ago, cannable said:

Remember what happened the last time a team tried to mark our runners?

Here's a clue.

I'll never forget Ned Kelly's post match comments...

“We worked on certain things for Derby and, given what we had worked on, it was disappointing when it came to the execution of those things on the Saturday.

“We were disappointed in how we defended; in going behind so quickly, having worked on matching runners, being compact and getting close to people."

Any excuse to post that :whistle:

Whenever somebody posts those highlights I can't not watch them. What a day.

Archived