Hull it is then! (Well almost certain)

IoW Derby

6 hours ago, IoW Derby said:

Both us and hull to occupy 4 th and 5th almost certain. Thoughts?

Play like we did against them 4-0. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't understand the puerile logic on here with regards potential play off opponents;  Hull are a good catch as we have beaten them twice but Boro would be poor as we always lose against them. I forgot that the playoffs always follow the formbook year after year I would suggest giving Boro a bye if we draw them save them the effort of the inevitable victory.

I think having Hull in the semi is the best outcome. They're possibly (if things stay as they are) the only side in the play offs that can match us in terms of experience. Playing them over two legs gives us the chance to hopefully see them off and face either Wednesday or Brighton in the final, both of who are relatively inexperienced in terms of having promotion experience.

17 hours ago, plymouthram said:

We need to beat Brighton next week, then we should avoid Boro and Burnley. We don't want 4th spot, only one team as won promotion from 4th spot in the last 26 seasons!!! With 3 teams on 87pts going into their last two games, who ever misses out on automatics will be down in the dumps and might find themselves out of the promotion frame after their first match in the play offs. Lets stay 5th please, put 4th placed team to the sword in the home leg.

You do realise who the only fourth placed team to win the play off final is, don't you?

That's the trouble with superstitions; pick one which appeals to you and you're ignoring (almost by definition) at least 23 other common factors which can be read as indicating 23 other conclusions. Unless your superstition is that the bloody gypsies cursed Derby County; that's just plain fact.

16 hours ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Away goals don't count thank god otherwise we would've lost the semi to Southampton that time. Such was the amazing scenes after the penos, I think some forget we actually lost the second leg 2-3.

Ahh I remember the Southampton game well. When Idiakez did us a favour and put the ball into row z.

Then when we won and invaded the pitch, A shower of coins were getting thrown at us by the Southampton fans.

5 hours ago, top 6 finish said:

I can't believe a big club like us with our squad didn't finish in the top 2.

I suspect there are fans of United, Arsenal, Liverpool and - solely for the purpose of making as broad a point as possible - Man City and Chelsea saying much the same thing right now.

No way that we will destroy Hull in the play offs in the same way as the league. Play off fixtures are always tight. They most likely underestimated us, that won't happen again. Boro did the double over norwich last season but lost in the play off final to them. Anything can happen which is why we love this beautiful game

46 minutes ago, McLovin said:

No way that we will destroy Hull in the play offs in the same way as the league. Play off fixtures are always tight. They most likely underestimated us, that won't happen again. Boro did the double over norwich last season but lost in the play off final to them. Anything can happen which is why we love this beautiful game

We did the double over Brighton in the league - then did the double over them in the playoffs as well.

Never say never.

54 minutes ago, McLovin said:

7 minutes ago, eddie said:

We did the double over Brighton in the league - then did the double over them in the playoffs as well.

Never say never.

And the playoff semi double over Brighton was quite the kicking as I recall.

So playoff fixtures aren't always tight after all!

2 minutes ago, RamDon said:

And the playoff semi double over Brighton was quite the kicking as I recall.

So playoff fixtures aren't always tight after all!

The away leg was a close one. Grant made some great saves, especially from Ulloa. And one of our goals had a lovely slice of good fortune rebounding off the bar and keeper. The home leg was exhibition stuff from us. Will Hughes with 'that' goal and some great noise in PP.

22 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

The away leg was a close one. Grant made some great saves, especially from Ulloa. And one of our goals had a lovely slice of good fortune rebounding off the bar and keeper. The home leg was exhibition stuff from us. Will Hughes with 'that' goal and some great noise in PP.

Didn't we simply play containment football in the away leg?

Archived