Hull it is then! (Well almost certain)

IoW Derby

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

QPR??????

QPR winning it meant 4th has won it the same amount of times as 6th. 5th still second to 3rd in amount of wins.

On 25/04/2016 at 10:22, Simsy said:

I would be surprised if Hull don't mix things up or have a game plan against us. They will have an in-depth study of how we play and I can see Bryson being man marked so they can leave Martin isolated. What I mean is I think Bruce could name our starting 11 and system so they have a few weeks to work out how to beat that. Hopefully no matter what they do they just wont be able to compete with our lot!

I am certainly not saying we wont beat them, I just wouldn't be surprised if we did lose all from a Bruce tactical master class!

They'll be out of puff by 40mins :lol:

9 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

QPR winning it meant 4th has won it the same amount of times as 6th. 5th still second to 3rd in amount of wins.

From the available data, no position really stands out except 3rd. You'd expect 3rd place to go up more often than the rest simply because over the course of the season, their league position implies that they have been better than the other 3 contenders. And indeed, this is the case. 

If you'd looked at the statistics between 1989 and 2000, you'd find that:

Position                 Frequency of winners
3rd                                     3
4th                                     4
5th                                     3
6th                                     2

And from that you might reasonably assume that 4th is the place to be. But in the last 7 years (2009-2015):

Position                 Frequency of winners
3rd                                     3
4th                                     1
5th                                     2
6th                                     1             

Statistics don't lie, but they can mislead. 

Basically, the play-offs is a lottery and has far too many factors (e.g. Form, player confidence etc etc) for you to reliably consider any given league position to give you a better chance of winning on the day. Once you're in them, forget league position, as the margins (particularly this year) of finishing fourth or fifth place are so fine that it probably makes little difference.

Up the Rams.

4 minutes ago, curtains said:

If Hull with their game in hand beat Brenford at home tonight we can forget 4th.  

Or not. 

7 minutes ago, McLovin said:

As do I, home advantage in the second leg could be crucial

2nd leg is the reason for me. 

19 minutes ago, McLovin said:

As do I, home advantage in the second leg could be crucial

Or we could be out of it before we even get to play at home, like under Burley. With no away goals the only real advantage to playing home 2nd is the potential for extra time and penalties.

Away goals do not count in Football League play-off's.

If after the second leg of a play-off semi-final the aggregate scores are level, it then goes to 30 minutes extra time, and then if they are still level, it goes to penalties.

7 minutes ago, rynny said:

Or we could be out of it before we even get to play at home, like under Burley. With no away goals the only real advantage to playing home 2nd is the potential for extra time and penalties.

And that game was a complete non-event.  Preston sat 8 behind the ball, in typical King Bill-eh style we we created zilch...

I for one am very wary of Hull, Bruce is no mug and despite our performances in both games this season there were tight margins in both games that could've sent the result the other way.  I'm struggling to remember if they went 3 at the back in either game, anyone remember?

and an ex player of the home team can utterly sky the penalty that sends the home team to the play-off final... *remembers we have Ince*... yeah I think I'd prefer 4th too.

Unlikely we get it though.

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

and an ex player of the home team can utterly sky the penalty that sends the home team to the play-off final... *remembers we have Ince*... yeah I think I'd prefer 4th too.

Unlikely we get it though.

That's settled then. Whether we finish 4th or 5th will decide whether Ince or Huddlestone misses the decisive penalty.

17 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

And that game was a complete non-event.  Preston sat 8 behind the ball, in typical King Bill-eh style we we created zilch...

I for one am very wary of Hull, Bruce is no mug and despite our performances in both games this season there were tight margins in both games that could've sent the result the other way.  I'm struggling to remember if they went 3 at the back in either game, anyone remember?

When they went down to 10 men, pushed Livermore back El Mohamady and Clucas as wing backs.

Hull City fan in peace. As stated, looking increasingly likely it'll be a City vs Derby semi-final. As for how most of our lot feel about this the answer is not a lot. The Allams latest membership scheme is all that is really being talked about, and some would rather we didn't go up at all. I don't think our lads have the bottle to see out a two-legged semi-final. That being said, we do have genuine quality who can change a game if they so wish. Huddlestone is finally back to his 2013/14 form and looking a class act, Hernandez is back amongst the goals and if Diame found any kind of form we could be a different team.

My hope is that you really come at us and we hit you on the break. We've mainly struggled this season against teams who sit deep and pack the midfield. We seem to have remembered how to score but forgotten how to defend last few games. The bit about Bruce being a tactical genius made me laugh. He's anything but. Signs quality players, he's an honest and likeable guy but tactically poor. Anyhow, if you've any questions about City, ask away, I'm trying to get to 30 posts so I can put up an article!

I hate the play-offs.Before Christmas we were in the top 2,looking good for automatic promotion.We sacked our manager and here we are again,back in the lottery. If we do manage to scrape by Hull,we will probably meet M'Boro,I totally expect the current top 3 to get promotion,and to be honest they deserve it. They are currently 10 points ahead of us, I have no confidence for next season,either.

2 hours ago, Dethorn said:

We need to get Dean Saunders to sit in Steve Bruces eyeline. Bruce would be catatonic with shock. From Memory wasn't Deano the nemisis of Bruce, I seem to remember once he turned him so quickly Bruce was actually stood there like a cartoon looking from one side to the other with that "where'd he go" expression on his face.

Would love it if some of you IT whizzes could find that on video ......

About 5mins 30 secs.

48 minutes ago, ahalftimereport said:

Hull City fan in peace. As stated, looking increasingly likely it'll be a City vs Derby semi-final. As for how most of our lot feel about this the answer is not a lot. The Allams latest membership scheme is all that is really being talked about, and some would rather we didn't go up at all. I don't think our lads have the bottle to see out a two-legged semi-final. That being said, we do have genuine quality who can change a game if they so wish. Huddlestone is finally back to his 2013/14 form and looking a class act, Hernandez is back amongst the goals and if Diame found any kind of form we could be a different team.

My hope is that you really come at us and we hit you on the break. We've mainly struggled this season against teams who sit deep and pack the midfield. We seem to have remembered how to score but forgotten how to defend last few games. The bit about Bruce being a tactical genius made me laugh. He's anything but. Signs quality players, he's an honest and likeable guy but tactically poor. Anyhow, if you've any questions about City, ask away, I'm trying to get to 30 posts so I can put up an article!

During the 4-0 you matched us until 1-0 (a goal which was only scored due to an unfortunate slip) and then you seemed to fall apart. Do you feel as though you struggle to come back from losing positions?

49 minutes ago, ahalftimereport said:

I did take a look at a Hull forum and can concur with what you're saying. Couldn't find the details of what the scheme is and why it has ticked everyone off so much but there is a quite widely held view that promotion will mean for Hull that....

The Allams stick around

The membership scheme is implemeted.

But theres a nasty catch 22 in that without promotion the club is not likely to be worth selling by the Allams and the majority of the fanbase seem to want to get rid - assume thats fair halftime?

Can't be easy geeing up the players in those circumstances, class though the team is.

8 minutes ago, top 6 finish said:

I hate the play-offs.Before Christmas we were in the top 2,looking good for automatic promotion.We sacked our manager and here we are again,back in the lottery. If we do manage to scrape by Hull,we will probably meet M'Boro,I totally expect the current top 3 to get promotion,and to be honest they deserve it. They are currently 10 points ahead of us, I have no confidence for next season,either.

**** me! I hope you don't have any sharp objects in your household! :o

Archived