Richard Keogh - always got a mistake in him

mumblemumble

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/championship/10591449/derby-1-2-blackburn

Not a clue what he was thinking for the penalty, should of stayed on his feet for the first goal diving on his arse as he does caused the deflection / offput Carson. Not at fault for the second. 

Deserves to lose his place on that performance though. 

From my view in the NS you could see what Emnes was trying to do (draw the foul) for the penalty before it actually happened and Keogh got sucked in. I do appreciate his effort but like the thread says, he is making too many errors on a more regular basis. I also think Carson is underperforming too and he's just too laid back a keeper. Not sure how well he dictates to his defenders or takes control if things back there and he's pretty easy to beat lately.

2 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

From my view in the NS you could see what Emnes was trying to do (draw the foul) for the penalty before it actually happened and Keogh got sucked in. I do appreciate his effort but like the thread says, he is making too many errors on a more regular basis. I also think Carson is underperforming too and he's just too laid back a keeper. Not sure how well he dictates to his defenders or takes control if things back there and he's pretty easy to beat lately.

Agreed on Carson he was lucky not to give away two penaltys today first one he was very slow off his line, the second was a poor back pass but he should be ready for them. 

1 hour ago, Premier ram said:

have defended keogh since wembley , but sorry today i cant defend him anymore , his reckless and thoughtless defending , his charging round the pitch like a maniac , sorry Richard thank you for your efforts but enough is enough

Am exactly the same tbh 

at this level he's a good defender and very good on the ball in comparison to many of his peers but I'm sorry I'm really starting to think we need to move on he's making more and more frequent mistakes and while I realise that by the very nature of the position the odd mistake will inevitably happen it's becoming all too frequent and the last thing we want now is a centre half with Claus Lundekvam disease ( it is an actual medical condition) 

keogh makes mistakes more of them when he is trying to hard and making up for other players shortfalls.

Always trying to help out the right back, which shackell doesnt do.... and charging around when there is no cover in the central midfield area.

His best performances and fewer errors came when he had people around him playing well. when they werent (the 2nd half of the 2nd mcclaren season) was when he made the most amount of mistakes trying to make things happen.

Just now, jagerbob said:

keogh makes mistakes more of them when he is trying to hard and making up for other players shortfalls.

Always trying to help out the right back, which shackell doesnt do.... and charging around when there is no cover in the central midfield area.

His best performances and fewer errors came when he had people around him playing well. when they werent (the 2nd half of the 2nd mcclaren season) was when he made the most amount of mistakes trying to make things happen.

Or... he is constantly out of position because he isn't very bright and should concentrate on defending, rather than running around like a headless chicken. 

He's gash and the idea that years of cock ups are all down to everyone else is laughable. 

Maybe folk will lay off Shackell now, next week the scapegoat will be Pearce or olsson. 

Keogh is having a 'mare at the moment, maybe the captaincy forces him to put too much pressure on himself to galvanise the team. I personally think he's missing Thorne and Eustace who stopped players running at him which in turn makes him do the fall on his arse and block it more often.

Give Bryson the armband and let Keogh concentrate on defending.

1 hour ago, Seth's left foot said:

Maybe folk will lay off Shackell now, next week the scapegoat will be Pearce or olsson. 

Keogh is having a 'mare at the moment, maybe the captaincy forces him to put too much pressure on himself to galvanise the team. I personally think he's missing Thorne and Eustace who stopped players running at him which in turn makes him do the fall on his arse and block it more often.

Nope. He's just as bad with anyone in front of him. The bloke is a disaster.  A terrible defender and an absolute liability. He also has an unhealthy influence on those around him.  For the fifth time...we will never win anything with this man in our back four. 

6 minutes ago, unclej said:

Nope. He's just as bad with anyone in front of him. The bloke is a disaster.  A terrible defender and an absolute liability. He also has an unhealthy influence on those around him.  For the fifth time...we will never win anything with this man in our back four. 

But he was voted POTY! He is a typical championship CB, generally plays 6/7-10 but makes too many mistakes to make the next level.

some unbelievable rants on here, five is more than enough :no:

1 hour ago, Seth's left foot said:

Under mcclaren, clement and wassall we defended from the front and focused on keeping the ball. That let Keogh do what he is good at (playing out from the back) and minimised the amount of under-pressure defending he had to do.  Under Pearson, Keogh has to punt the ball forward at every opportunity (minimising his ability to do what he is good at), then because we have to no power or strength up front, we inevitably lose the ball and they break on us,  And because Hughes and Bryson are completely unsuited to sitting deep, half the time they're out of position, it then results in repeated instances of the opposition getting Keogh isolated and running at him. Which puts him in the kind of situations he's sometimes struggles with.  It happens with Shackell and Pearce as well, it's not just Keogh.  Ultimately it's yet another case of pearsons tactics forcing us into the kind of situation we struggle with.

7 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Under mcclaren, clement and wassall we defended from the front and focused on keeping the ball. That let Keogh do what he is good at (playing out from the back) and minimised the amount of under-pressure defending he had to do.  Under Pearson, Keogh has to punt the ball forward at every opportunity (minimising his ability to do what he is good at), then because we have to no power or strength up front, we inevitably lose the ball and they break on us,  And because Hughes and Bryson are completely unsuited to sitting deep, half the time they're out of position, it then results in repeated instances of the opposition getting Keogh isolated and running at him. Which puts him in the kind of situations he's sometimes struggles with.  It happens with Shackell and Pearce as well, it's not just Keogh.  Ultimately it's yet another case of pearsons tactics forcing us into the kind of situation we struggle with.

So when Clement took the captaincy off him, SM played him at RB because he was so freaking awful at CB, and when he spaz kicks a corner straight to a Liverpool player when under zero pressure, that's because Pearson plays a different style? 

3 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

So when Clement took the captaincy off him, SM played him at RB because he was so freaking awful at CB, and when he spaz kicks a corner straight to a Liverpool player when under zero pressure, that's because Pearson plays a different style? 

Well, we don't know why clement took the captaincy off him, and the RB thing was more to do with Christie struggling there and us having an abundance of centre halves, from what I remember.  I'm not saying he's perfect, but it's pretty clear if you put him in more of the situations where he's likely to make mistakes, he's going to make more mistakes.  And by setting up to smash the ball forward every time, you're going to lose the ball and get countered in a lot more and that's going to result in Keogh getting run at a lot more.  He's a player that thrives in a possession team and struggles in a direct one, so we either need to change the style, or change the player.  And you can say that about almost everyone in the squad.

Archived