Bradley Johnson - are we contractually obliged to start him?

Duracell

I think it's painfully obvious to anyone who has been watching us over the past few months that Bradley Johnson is completely the wrong type of player for the way we want to play, and is horribly out of form.

His passing is slow, and often inaccurate. He slows play down too much when we play him centrally, and can't dribble well enough or beat his man often enough to justify playing wide left.

If we signed him for £500k from a lower league side (and from what I've seen of him, there is NOTHING he offers that we couldn't find in League One for that fee), then would he still be in the team?

The whole Johnson transfer was such a farce. Morris almost seemed to suggest we signed him because we could, saying it was too good an opportunity to turn down. It's like going out and compulsively buying a new piece of furniture, and then thinking about how it will fit in your home once you've driven it back.

Except with this piece of furniture, 6 months on and we still haven't decided where to put it.

In our haste, did we just sign any old contract to get our man? The whole thing from start to finish seemed to take just a matter of hours, including the fact that BJ couldn't even get our name right. From what I can tell, he was happy at Norwich as well.

All that and the ridiculous fee makes me wonder, did the reluctant Johnson ask for some sort of clause in his contract that he had to start games when fit? Is this possible? Because other than political pressure to start him due to his fee, I cannot think of a single reason why he would currently be in the team.

Every time I think about him, I want to bang my head against the wall. Mel Morris sacked a manager for not abiding by the Derby Way, but was all too happy to break our transfer record and take the credit for splashing out on possibly the most un-Derby-Way player you could find for £6,000,000. The lad can't play in a position that exists in our team ffs!!! And there was NO EVIDENCE that he ever could!!!!!!!! eofhweoijdfw[oaijdowkojwkjewjj!!!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Duracell said:

I think it's painfully obvious to anyone who has been watching us over the past few months that Bradley Johnson is completely the wrong type of player for the way we want to play, and is horribly out of form.

His passing is slow, and often inaccurate. He slows play down too much when we play him centrally, and can't dribble well enough or beat his man often enough to justify playing wide left.

If we signed him for £500k from a lower league side (and from what I've seen of him, there is NOTHING he offers that we couldn't find in League One for that fee), then would he still be in the team?

The whole Johnson transfer was such a farce. Morris almost seemed to suggest we signed him because we could, saying it was too good an opportunity to turn down. It's like going out and compulsively buying a new piece of furniture, and then thinking about how it will fit in your home once you've driven it back.

Except with this piece of furniture, 6 months on and we still haven't decided where to put it.

In our haste, did we just sign any old contract to get our man? The whole thing from start to finish seemed to take just a matter of hours, including the fact that BJ couldn't even get our name right. From what I can tell, he was happy at Norwich as well.

All that and the ridiculous fee makes me wonder, did the reluctant Johnson ask for some sort of clause in his contract that he had to start games when fit? Is this possible? Because other than political pressure to start him due to his fee, I cannot think of a single reason why he would currently be in the team.

Stll sitting on the fence with this one I see.

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

Personally I would be shocked if it were the case. Hasn't he been on the bench a couple of times?

A couple, but I was thinking maybe he had to be played in a certain percentage of matches when available?

I dunno. It's actually probably totally implausible if you break it down.

I'm just upset that he keeps playing. Upset and angry. And hurt. And a little bit crazy.

Just now, Gritters said:

When out backs are against the wall he isn't putting in a shift.

Disagree, I think he always gives his best. Which in some way is worse. £6,000,000 for a huffer and puffer.

Could've bought 17.1429 Ben Davies for that money. What does Bradley Johnson do that Ben Davies couldn't? Ben Davies arguably had more quality, especially in dead ball situations.

2 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Disagree, I think he always gives his best. Which in some way is worse. £6,000,000 for a huffer and puffer.

Could've bought 17.1429 Ben Davies for that money. What does Bradley Johnson do that Ben Davies couldn't? Ben Davies arguably had more quality, especially in dead ball situations.

What stuck out in my mind yesterday was him sticking his leg up at the ball with no idea where the ball would go. Ince was in a good position but the ball just bounced off his foot and out for a goal kick. Really fustrating for us fans and Ince. 

God knows what's up with him. It may be confidence or he just doesn't fit in. Either way he cost a lot of money for no improvement to the team.

It's all doom and gloom at the moment. 

I dont know whats happened to him, when he came in he was excellent and was one of the catalysts for our good run. He was a good passer, great tackler, strong in air and bullied other midfielders. Now he looks lost, his decision making is just completely off. Not sure what it is, could be a fitness issue but then you'd think he'd have a break.

Johnson's arrival coincided with an upturn in our fortunes and something like a 19 game unbeaten run. He appeared powerful on the left-hand side oif midfield, with a bit of devilment about him and an eye for goal. He'd scored 15 goals in Norwich's promotion campaign the year before, has Premier League experience and there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth in Norfolk at his leaving for us.

No player has a "must play" clause in their contract, but obviously with him being our record signing there is pressure on the coach to pick him. With Jeff now out, there is no other midfielder on the books who has the same physical presence so, as I said in the Hull thread, I'd give him 45 minutes in the left-central midfield role that he played in during our run. But that's because our other options look even worse. I don't think Bryson and Butterfield together works. Possibly Bryson and Hanson, but that feels like a downgrade from our previous failed campaigns. I would like to see Bryson and Calero in the roles, but the problem is that now isn't the time to experiment. It has been said that Johnson has the least footballing ability in our squad and I wouldn't argue with that.

If Hughes returns to fitness this season, my first-choice midfield would be Thorne, Hughes and Bryson. It is horrible to think we paid £11m for two midfielders who I wouldn't start. And @Duracellis right that Johnson's transfer seemed to go against everything the club claims to be about, in terms of long-term planning. Yet without Hughes and Bryson (although Bryson's injury didn't appear too serious to us outsiders at the time) there was a large element of pride we could go out and buy replacements, apparently so easily. But Bradley Johnson was a strange choice to spunk the cash on.

22 minutes ago, Gritters said:

What stuck out in my mind yesterday was him sticking his leg up at the ball with no idea where the ball would go. Ince was in a good position but the ball just bounced off his foot and out for a goal kick. Really fustrating for us fans and Ince. 

God knows what's up with him. It may be confidence or he just doesn't fit in. Either way he cost a lot of money for no improvement to the team.

It's all doom and gloom at the moment. 

Ince was offside and knew it. Johnson should have chased it himself, but the defender would have bee able to easily shepherd it out for a goal kick. Just took the bad option.

He was Norwichs best player last season, he was a quality player for us during our rise to the top of the table, Leeds player of the year to.  If you want him to be a Ben Davies then he will disappoint, either play him in a position that can influence the play to his strengths, or drop him.

22 minutes ago, Shuff264 said:

I dont know whats happened to him, when he came in he was excellent and was one of the catalysts for our good run. He was a good passer, great tackler, strong in air and bullied other midfielders. Now he looks lost, his decision making is just completely off. Not sure what it is, could be a fitness issue but then you'd think he'd have a break.

I don't think our current level of intensity of style of play is as tough as it would have been under Mac ; just a personal thought

@Carl Sagan nice post

Blimey... Surprised Curtains has let this thread run so long without jumping on it!!! Not allowed to be critical of beloved Bradley you know... :thumbsup:

I'm in agreement and don't fence sit about him either. Total waste of money. Glad it's not mine. Didn't rate him when he was " good".. Right now he looks Sunday League. Woeful. 

Derek Hales all over again. 

Just one thought. In his previous clubs he has been voted Player of the Season at Leeds and Norwich. On both occasions he had Johnny Howson alongside him. Have we signed the wrong player? 

18 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

Blimey... Surprised Curtains has let this thread run so long without jumping on it!!! Not allowed to be critical of beloved Bradley you know... :thumbsup:

I'm in agreement and don't fence sit about him either. Total waste of money. Glad it's not mine. Didn't rate him when he was " good".. Right now he looks Sunday League. Woeful. 

Derek Hales all over again. 

Just one thought. In his previous clubs he has been voted Player of the Season at Leeds and Norwich. On both occasions he had Johnny Howson alongside him. Have we signed the wrong player

Or did we sign a good player, who does not suit our system/style?

1 hour ago, Duracell said:

A couple, but I was thinking maybe he had to be played in a certain percentage of matches when available?

I dunno. It's actually probably totally implausible if you break it down.

I'm just upset that he keeps playing. Upset and angry. And hurt. And a little bit crazy.

Did he run over your cat or something 

I think he is much better in a central position - i cannot understand why we play him as a left forward/winger it is not paying to his strengths and it levees is imbalanced and lacking creativity

Id play him alongside thorne and butterfield in a diamond with ince ahead of them - obviously this means playing 2 up front - bent or blackman (another scapegoat) alongside martin

Thoughts? 

The transfer fee is an albertos around the neck of Johnson, Blackman and to an extent Ince and Shackell, Butterfield too.

In theory, Thorne, Johnson and Butters could work as our midfield three, but even when we were winning it was very deep and ponderous.

Butters I think needed encouragement to play more positively, Johnson needs to do what he is good at as a robust ball winner.

I think if those two had come into McClaren team they would have been fine, but they came into Clement's where they've never really looked like the midfield we want them to be.

Pending fitness, Thorne, Hughes and Bryson can't come back quick enough.

Archived