Martin's Contribution

rynny

As it was being discussed in the match thread and a couple of nay sayers debating his effectiveness and contributions, I thought I would go through our goals this year and see how much impact he has had.

Hartlepool-not involved

Reading- Ince corner Shackell's header.

Burnley- Martin's pass Butterfield's goal

Man Utd- Martin's pass Thorne's goal

Fulham- Martin's pass Bryson's goal

Brentford- Martin to Blackman to Hendrick goal. Christie 1-2 with Johnson. Martin scored.

Blackburn- Butterfield from defender's header.

Wolves- Martin free kick.

Huddersfield- Martin goal. Martin's lay off Russell's goal.

Rotherham- Defender's header Ince goal. Martin goal. Martin tackle on Camp tap in for Ince.

Forest-Martin involved a couple of times in the build up.

Not bad for someone has been poor so much this year.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

He has an amazing knack of looking awful whilst still doing a lot of decent things. It's like the opposite of players who look good whilst not really doing anything with it.

Indeed, it might make you wonder "is he actually better than I think"? But then that would require the people that say it to think, which is a challenge for the vast majority. 

In the past I was a massive fan of Martin,even when others on here were critising him,possibly even the people on here,I defended him. However,we have to live in the present and I'm afraid that if this had been his 1st season,we would have to say,not bad in patches,but needs to improve. I don't know what his problem is,but his performances are poor. If 'arry and Phillips can't sort him out,then we need another striker,simple as that.

On 3/20/2016 at 14:32, Seth's left foot said:

A simple thought for those who confuse PC's tactics with Martin's lack of contribution to the side:

Put Bent or Blackman upfront for the final games and see us drop like a stone

It's not like you can prove that by Derby imploding when they replace Martin up front. Oh wait...

6 minutes ago, top 6 finish said:

In the past I was a massive fan of Martin,even when others on here were critising him,possibly even the people on here,I defended him. However,we have to live in the present and I'm afraid that if this had been his 1st season,we would have to say,not bad in patches,but needs to improve. I don't know what his problem is,but his performances are poor. If 'arry and Phillips can't sort him out,then we need another striker,simple as that.

This.

My view of Chris was formed in the 2013 -2014 season where, by and large,  he was a revelation. 

Not just for the hold up play and neat layoffs. But also featured in some pacey counterattack goals eg Brighton away.

The Chris Martin I've seen this season,  by comparison, looks slower and less effective all round. Yes he still has quite a few moments but overall? 

I realise this is not a scientific analysis and others may have opposite views but for me, this is where we're currently at with Chris. Good news is that there's more in him!

Is it possible that teams now know how to deal with Martin?

He does now spend a lot of times trying little flicks etc, which for the majority of the time fail and just ends up giving the ball away. This is not a go at Martin, more like the way we play now, with Martin lone up front and being isolated too often.

We have gone from a pressing team of last season - to a team that more often then not ends up being pressed - 1st half against forest.

Nothing against Martin, its the way we are playing which is possibly the problem?

"This is not a go at Martin, this is not a go at Martin, nothing against Martin, but, but, but etc on so many threads"....

He came on a free, he scores the majority of our goals, he sets up others, he holds it up, therefore enabling our defence and midfield to move up, he's been our best striker in years and will still be our best striker for many years to come.....

So Why Do People Never Appreciate What They Have Until It's Gone.......

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-people-never-appreciate-what-they-have-until-its-gone

So stop being a Jonathan Hunt, when you could be a supporter, a Chris Martin appreciator, because believe me you will definitely miss him, when he's gone. Enjoy.

3178adt.jpg

If Martin has been not quite as impressive this season, then it's down to Will Hughes missing. They love passing to each other. Will's our best passer and gives the ball to Martin exactly where he wants it. Then Will is the best for knowing where Martin's flicks are going and getting on the end of them.

There has been all sort of rubbish posted on here this season. Most of our issues come down to Will missing this campaign. He's our heartbeat, he makes us tick, he gives us tempo, he runs the show.  Remember when he went off at half time last year at home to Forest. We were much better team in 1st half. Then looked lost in 2nd half. Turned out to be a warning for this year.

Don't want Will rushed back of course, but just imagine if he got back into the grooves just as the playoffs started.

Keogh, Bucko, Thorne, Hughes, Bryson and Martin as the spine of our team. Ince and Olsen starting to look interesting down the left. Russell finds a bit of form with Hanson and Christie fighting for RB. Butters, Hendrick and Johnson giving us more options in the middle. That sounds pretty promising to me.

Obviously Carson in goal and I've missed Shackell out. Bit harsh on him, but I'm pretty sure the gods will only allow us promotion if Jake is in the team. Plus, he can pass.

On 3/20/2016 at 07:38, RadioactiveWaste said:

He has an amazing knack of looking awful whilst still doing a lot of decent things. It's like the opposite of players who look good whilst not really doing anything with it.

A perfect summary as to why Martin starts and Camara doesn't make the bench.

It makes me laugh that so many people still slate Martin! At this level he's still one of the best in the business I think his "lack of goals " (still 13 ) is not just a reflection on him but the team as a whole this year ! You name a realistic replacement who could play as a central striker in our team and have the same effect Martin does ? Many people on here were crying out for him to be replaced with Jordan Rhodes. ... pffftttt Rhodes is not fit to lace martins boots ! He can't even get a sniff with Scotland that's got to tell you something ! For me martins still the man . 

19 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

It makes me laugh that so many people still slate Martin! At this level he's still one of the best in the business I think his "lack of goals " (still 13 ) is not just a reflection on him but the team as a whole this year ! You name a realistic replacement who could play as a central striker in our team and have the same effect Martin does ? Many people on here were crying out for him to be replaced with Jordan Rhodes. ... pffftttt Rhodes is not fit to lace martins boots ! He can't even get a sniff with Scotland that's got to tell you something ! For me martins still the man . 

You will note how well Boro have done since Rhodes went there

3 hours ago, top 6 finish said:

Totally agree. Scored or assisted 5 of our last 7 goals. Total feckin slacker. Taxi....

Chris Martin, is by far our best striker at the club, bar none, he must start all the games, because without him, we really struggle up front, also I think he is probably, one of the best free transfers, Derby have ever got, can anyone think off a better one, could make for an interesting debate.

4 hours ago, Derby blood said:

Chris Martin, is by far our best striker at the club, bar none, he must start all the games, because without him, we really struggle up front, also I think he is probably, one of the best free transfers, Derby have ever got, can anyone think off a better one, could make for an interesting debate.

That would be a good debate and I wouldn't argue your point as you said one of.

So I'll just say Stefano Eranio because when he joined he was already pure class, an established Serie A player of top flight international standing and i.m.o he proved would have been worth a place in any Premiership team at that time; the fact he joined Derby made it an even bigger coup for Jim Smith.

Younger fans wouldn't perhaps realise what a signing he was, but as the article below states, he massively raised the bar for Derby that year; by that virtue he was a better free transfer to me, because Martin has yet to prove he can operate in the Prem, let alone become a top flight international. Not knocking Martin here, just saying Eranio was all that and more when he arrived.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Stefano-Eranio-Italian-star-raised-bar-Derby/story-20073016-detail/story.html

9 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

If Martin has been not quite as impressive this season, then it's down to Will Hughes missing. They love passing to each other. Will's our best passer and gives the ball to Martin exactly where he wants it. Then Will is the best for knowing where Martin's flicks are going and getting on the end of them.

There has been all sort of rubbish posted on here this season. Most of our issues come down to Will missing this campaign. He's our heartbeat, he makes us tick, he gives us tempo, he runs the show.  Remember when he went off at half time last year at home to Forest. We were much better team in 1st half. Then looked lost in 2nd half. Turned out to be a warning for this year.

Don't want Will rushed back of course, but just imagine if he got back into the grooves just as the playoffs started.

Keogh, Bucko, Thorne, Hughes, Bryson and Martin as the spine of our team. Ince and Olsen starting to look interesting down the left. Russell finds a bit of form with Hanson and Christie fighting for RB. Butters, Hendrick and Johnson giving us more options in the middle. That sounds pretty promising to me.

Obviously Carson in goal and I've missed Shackell out. Bit harsh on him, but I'm pretty sure the gods will only allow us promotion if Jake is in the team. Plus, he can pass.

Archived