Are we where we should be?

Rammeister

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, curtains said:

No .

Cant believe we could  be playing Burton in the Championship next season. 

We won't.

Leicester are winning the PL, that should inspire clubs like ours, not deflate expectations.  Reality is what you make it, but if most fans are fine with little or no success for Derby, that's what they will get.  i'm not talking about demanding this or that, it's about setting high goals and never taking eyes off the target.  For me, nothing is too good for Derby, we should strive for the very top.

Interesting question. I think you can split the 'bigger' clubs in England into three categories:

1) The perennial giants with European/global level presence, both historically and in terms of fan base/finances - Liverpool, Manchester United, Arsenal

2) Clubs who have now achieved that status due to huge foreign investment, despite historically not being top tier - Chelsea, Man City

3) Clubs with long histories of achievement and large fan bases who expect at least top half Premiership/a challenge for European places - Spurs, Everton, Newcastle, West Ham, Villa, Leeds

There is then another larger group of clubs a level below this with fans who often believe their teams should be established top half Premiership clubs, but in reality could be anywhere between the top half of the Premiership and the top half of Championship. We would be in this group alongside clubs like Forest, Wolves, Leicester, West Brom, the Sheffield clubs, Southampton and Sunderland.  

History doesn't have any bearing on where a club should be.  That's if any club should be anywhere.  Why should the past be set in stone? Very recent performances on the pitch obviously decides were a club is.  And that should be influenced by the quality of player, manager and coach..each of which in turn should be determined by the size of the club's finances.  A large fanbase will help as it's increases revenues, but ultimately it's the wealth of a club/owners that determines where each club should expect to be in the pecking order.  It's a bit depressing really.

Where would that put us?  Definitely should be challenging for promotion anyway.

3 hours ago, toddy said:

Not sure Nige will blow a 9 pt lead?

I'm not sure he will either - but 5 points from 4 games is somewhere between Clement since Christmas and Wassall now form, so it's safe to assume that the Burton players will either be booed mercilessly from pillar to post or drowned in the blood shed by the Brewers' wrist-slashing fans.

That's how it works, isn't t?

48 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

Burton winning League One would almost be on a par with Leicester winning the Premiership for me.

The fact such a tiny club, averaging less than 3000 attendances, can outperform the likes of Sheff Utd and Coventry is an incredible achievement.

I think Clough deliberately sabatogued Sheffield Utd when he was there to give Burton an unfair advantage over them

11 hours ago, CumbrianRam said:

Villa will and are much bigger than DCFC

Don't think anyone could ever really argue against that. The odd thing is despite obvious fan base and stadium advantages, we have often seemed able to compete against them down the years.

15 hours ago, curtains said:

Aston Villa and Burton will be interesting away days for some. 

I don't go to away games anymore. 

Think i have just got bored of them  .

Clough isn't in charge any more though

14 hours ago, Zag zig said:

Don't think anyone could ever really argue against that. The odd thing is despite obvious fan base and stadium advantages, we have often seemed able to compete against them down the years.

Don't know about that Zag zig, I can only recall defeats and heavy ones too. 

I am getting on a bit though these days. :blink:

<Sob>

Will the site and contributors please note that I just wrote an excellent, erudite post drawing on the historic parallels and citing very meaningful statistics proving how insightful the OP really was....but also why we are very well placed to effect a paradigm shift in where we rank among English clubs.

It was a long,detailed (and most likely extremely boring to most on here) post even by my standards....

Then, unfortunately, I press the wrong effing button on my effing iPad and it's effing gone....yes...G. O. R. N.

With no effing undo button in site!

I now understand even better how Keogh felt against QPR!

Archived