Holiday plans - 2016

Mostyn6

just booked ten days back at the villa in fueteventura with the wife and son for august, I love that place but what has really peed me off is the blatant increases in air fares for a bit of summer sun, we have just come back from a week in the same place, I took my boy out of school for a week with permission of the head, air fares with ryan air for the three of us were £500, very reasonable indeed, now fast forward to august and the summer holidays to go to the same airport and from the same airport on identical flights and times with the same luggage and even the same seats it has cost £1,400 for three flights, absolute joke, I checked some of the other budget airlines and they are nearer to £2,000, its about time something was done with these massive increases in costs during the summer holidays. I told the wife that we were not going but she found a way to "persuade" me ! with the cost of the villa and a hire car and spending money its about £4k for ten days in the sun !! I know I could find a cheap apartment but its more the cost of the flights that does my head in rather than the price of the accommodation.

last year we went to new York for a week so out of interest I went onto British airways to see how much a holiday for the three of us would be for a week in new York, £2,300 for the three of us and that included a weeks stay in a good hotel on times square !! my lad is to young at 6 to appreciate New York and to spend all day sight seeing but there is a massive difference in value for money.

out of interest what sort of prices are you guys paying for your holidays

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

out of interest what sort of prices are you guys paying for your holidays

I'm off to Portugal in a couple of weeks for 6 days. 4 rounds of golf, flights and hotel is about £620.

I'm looking at a week in Greece on an island in August, I would expect to be paying £450 for the week, but prices right now seem way more than that.

Prices during school holidays are indeed a nightmare, but I suppose that's the "beauty" of the free market, supply & demand etc

We had to get creative last year- went to Croatia and got some reasonably priced flights out there, but the flights back were extortionate, so we ended up getting the coach to Venice and flying back from Treviso! Had a day in Venice and  saved over £500 in the process

18 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Hmm, a week in Jamaica surrounded by hotties in glorious weather, or a visit to the grim industrial heartland of England, where it will be drizzling, cold and gray.

Tough decision!

1 hour ago, loweman2 said:

I took my boy out of school for a week with permission of the head, air fares with ryan air for the three of us were £500, very reasonable indeed, now fast forward to august and the summer holidays to go to the same airport and from the same airport on identical flights and times with the same luggage and even the same seats it has cost £1,400 for three flights, absolute joke, I checked some of the other budget airlines and they are nearer to £2,000, its about time something was done with these massive increases in costs during the summer holidays.

Demand & Supply I'm afraid. If the airlines can fill the planes charging £2000 then they'd be mad not to.

What could be done about it?. If prices were limited in school holdays, the the airlines would have to increase prices for the rest of the year artificially and then it's hardly fair on those people having to subsidise your cheaper summertime jollies. Your £500 very reasonable flights wouldn't be quite so reasonable.

Having said that, I've recently had to change flights we had booked to Orlando late Septemer this year. Due to a change in my work schedules I had to re-book to fly out August bank holiday weekend instead. I was dreading it, as was sure that they'd be horrendous for the last few days of the summer holidays but it was actually roughly the same & I chose not to query it!

No easy solution. Either have to even out demand over the year, which could potentially disrupt a lot of education or increase capacity in busy periods but that wouldn't work either as no airline would want to lease aircraft & pay for airport slots to have them un-used for most of the year.

58 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Demand & Supply I'm afraid. If the airlines can fill the planes charging £2000 then they'd be mad not to.

What could be done about it?. If prices were limited in school holdays, the the airlines would have to increase prices for the rest of the year artificially and then it's hardly fair on those people having to subsidise your cheaper summertime jollies. Your £500 very reasonable flights wouldn't be quite so reasonable.

Having said that, I've recently had to change flights we had booked to Orlando late Septemer this year. Due to a change in my work schedules I had to re-book to fly out August bank holiday weekend instead. I was dreading it, as was sure that they'd be horrendous for the last few days of the summer holidays but it was actually roughly the same & I chose not to query it!

No easy solution. Either have to even out demand over the year, which could potentially disrupt a lot of education or increase capacity in busy periods but that wouldn't work either as no airline would want to lease aircraft & pay for airport slots to have them un-used for most of the year.

When I looked at the flights to New York ( this August) they were the same as they were last May (term time) so it would appear that the massive hikes don't happen on long haul / USA it's just the cannon fodder of summer holidays, I consider myself to have a very good income but still consider the price for a summer holiday to be quite expensive, it feels like it is costing more each year, I don't see how people on lower incomes can ever afford to take their kids on a foreign summer holiday, I even looked at trips to mainland Spain and Majorca and they came in at £2500.

seems that foreign travel is slowly being taken away from lower earning families.

also when the price of oil has gone so significantly I would imagine that would have a bearing, obviously not, 

probably sums up the world we live in of greed and profit, 

as people drop off at one end who can't afford it it gets more expensive for the ones who can, so less people travel but the income to the airlines / holiday companies remains the same.

another bubble forming.

27 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

Would you recommend New York as a city break in the US? I've never been, and am wondering which, of the many cities to aim at. 

I've been twice now, first time I thought it was that awesome that I had to go back, love the place, so much to see, and loads of bars everywhere so it's easy to sight see and have a couple of beers through the day, best to do your research and go with a plan of what you are going to do each day, also pre buy all tickets for Empire State, Statue of Liberty, theatre etc etc, also a travel pass, can't praise it high enough, spotlessly clean and just has a special vibe about it that will have you going back for unfinished business, hotels and restraunts are amazing, great value for money trip.

21 minutes ago, sage said:

My flights to Denmark in the first week of the summer hols were £40 return each for me and the lad. Got a Focus to hire for the week for £71. Beach cottage was £250 for the week.

just had a look and found easy jet fly to Denmark from luton and first week in august once you add luggage and seats is now coming in at £322 for a return for three so when compared with Fuerteventura at £1,400 with ryan air for the same week, people and luggage that's not bad !! must just be the lure of the sunshine that brings on the big money !!

just checked easy jet for flights to fueteventura and low and behold they to come out at £1,400 for the same time, luggage and seats for the three of us, oh well no point in moaning about it, they are paid for now but its getting more and more expensive for "budget" flights

3 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

just checked easy jet for flights to fueteventura and low and behold they to come out at £1,400 for the same time, luggage and seats for the three of us, oh well no point in moaning about it, they are paid for now but its getting more and more expensive for "budget" flights

It would be cheaper to fly to Sri Lanka. Ridiculous.

21 minutes ago, sage said:

Ryanair - Luton

I am stopping on the island of Romo as it has a splendid beach for cricket.

is this it sage ? looks like you could have a game of cricket, a game of football and a game of rugby on there all at the same time !! how did you discover that place ? is it warm / hot ? looks like a good place to chill out and gather your thoughts, is there much to be done ? other than sunbathe and play cricket ??

Roemoe-Strand.jpg

Archived