GRRR!!! NOT HACKED OFF IN THE SLIGHTEST!!!

wixman1884

Grrrr!

Don't get me wrong, I was pretty gutted about the Wolves performance and in no way do we look like a top 2 side at the moment, but I'm having a very hard time understanding the vitriol directed towards Mel, Rush and Wassall.

I'm not really entirely sure where all these huge glaring mistakes are that Mel has made since he came in either. By all accounts, McClaren's position was untenable, he had to go. We took a gamble on an unproven manager with enormous pedigree as an assistant. After an uninspiring albeit successful first half to the season, we took a complete nosedive and Mel saw it necessary to remove Clement. His reasoning may have seemed fuzzy at the time, but what is clear now is that he deemed Clement toxic to the culture of the club and wanted him replaced immediately. Wassall has been put in charge TEMPORARILY, presumably because Mel's target/targets aren't currently available and will be in the summer. If nothing else, DW's a likable, professional guy and knew the squad already. He's easily the smartest temporary appointment given the circumstances.

We've been far from spectacular under Wassall (although, he's had a better start than Clement did) but I'd be surprised if we didn't finish in the top 6 this season can only assume that people still (until last week) had some secret certainty that we would finish in the top two.

The only thing I've not been happy about is the vast sums we've been spending on players - this is the only mistake I think Mel has made - bloating the squad. It also shifts the narrative and we become "BIG SPENDING" Derby and suddenly everyone resents us.

This post is a bit of a call to reason - I'm truly pretty shocked by some of the reaction this week.

Oh and no, no, categorically no, we don't want Nigel Clough back.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sound post until you got to Wassall. You've missed the point- Clement shouldn't have been sacked until we had a permanent manager. Wassall might be likeable and professional but so what?- how does that make him suitable for a head coach position? I'm a big Mel Morris supporter but he's dropped a major clanged in appointing Wassall. I'm sure that there are many who feel like me that this season has effectively been written off.

Agree with all of this except the appointment of Wassall, which you say is temporary. I don't agree in that it appears Mel is gambling on one unproven coach after sacking another and at the same time (as I've argued elsewhere) is ultimately almost certain to mean Wassall exists the club in the summer (as I'd be shocked if he's happy to return the academy). It seems to me Mel is gambling that Wassall will succeed, and that seems a very large gamble.

It's extremely hard to get promoted from the Championship. At the time of Clement's sacking, much of the season had passed and we were one of only a very few clubs left who could still claim promotion as a possibility. Mel has chosen to throw that away by appointing his rookie coach and instead we shall start from scratch next season, level with everyone else, rather than bring someone in who could have made all the difference now.

If it's genuinely because he has someone lined up who couldn't start now, then that person needs to be of epic stature to make it worth giving up on this season so early. At least we agree that would not mean Nigel Clough!

The one big mistake was sacking Clement with no permanent replacement lined up. 

I don't mind Wassall at all, he's a sound bloke by the looks of things and I haven't ever thought badly of Rush, and he's gone missing lately so we can't really rip him lol. 

Wassall is obviously here until the end of the season so we have to put up with the situation whether we like it or not. 

Either Pearson or Rowett in the summer it seems, can't see Rodgers or Moyes coming tbh, wishful thinking from some of our fans. 

5 minutes ago, DCFCArmy said:

A big mistake - yes

Wassall is obviously here until the end of the season so we have to put up with the situation whether we like it or not. 

Put up with it - no

5 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Agree with all of this except the appointment of Wassall, which you say is temporary. I don't agree in that it appears Mel is gambling on one unproven coach after sacking another and at the same time

5 minutes ago, Arsene Titman said:

Sound post until you got to Wassall. You've missed the point- Clement shouldn't have been sacked until we had a permanent manager.

I think this is where we differ because I'm assuming that Clement was sacked largely for non-footballing reasons. Obviously results at the time were terrible, but my impressions have been Clement was doing more harm than good off the pitch and Wassall was brought in to reinstate a lot of the positives from the previous regime (culture, morale, fitness, etc). Perhaps I'm over extrapolating, but this was the impression that I came away with.

I'm also currently buying the story that Wassall will go back to the academy afterwards - unless he does spectacularly well, or things go completely south I can honestly see him just going back and getting on with things.

30 minutes ago, DCFCArmy said:

I don't mind Wassall at all, he's a sound bloke by the looks of things and I haven't ever thought badly of Rush, and he's gone missing lately so we can't really rip him lol. 

Either Pearson or Rowett in the summer it seems, can't see Rodgers or Moyes coming tbh, wishful thinking from some of our fans. 

The same Rowett that has just signed Shotton on loan from us? Erm no thanks!

41 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

Grrrr!

Don't get me wrong, I was pretty gutted about the Wolves performance and in no way do we look like a top 2 side at the moment, but I'm having a very hard time understanding the vitriol directed towards Mel, Rush and Wassall.

I'm not really entirely sure where all these huge glaring mistakes are that Mel has made since he came in either. By all accounts, McClaren's position was untenable, he had to go. We took a gamble on an unproven manager with enormous pedigree as an assistant. After an uninspiring albeit successful first half to the season, we took a complete nosedive and Mel saw it necessary to remove Clement. His reasoning may have seemed fuzzy at the time, but what is clear now is that he deemed Clement toxic to the culture of the club and wanted him replaced immediately. Wassall has been put in charge TEMPORARILY, presumably because Mel's target/targets aren't currently available and will be in the summer. If nothing else, DW's a likable, professional guy and knew the squad already. He's easily the smartest temporary appointment given the circumstances.

We've been far from spectacular under Wassall (although, he's had a better start than Clement did) but I'd be surprised if we didn't finish in the top 6 this season can only assume that people still (until last week) had some secret certainty that we would finish in the top two.

The only thing I've not been happy about is the vast sums we've been spending on players - this is the only mistake I think Mel has made - bloating the squad. It also shifts the narrative and we become "BIG SPENDING" Derby and suddenly everyone resents us.

This post is a bit of a call to reason - I'm truly pretty shocked by some of the reaction this week.

Oh and no, no, categorically no, we don't want Nigel Clough back.

Pretty much agree with all that.

It looks like Wass will be slaughtered by glory hunters if he doesn't win every game.

I wish there'd have been Internet in 1983. All 8,000 of us would have been on here moaning like ****!

Why do people keep saying sacking Clement was a mistake because we don't have a permanent manager lined up? He obviously wasn't the right fit for the club so why would we keep him here when we have someone at the club who could potentially do a better job on a temporary basis, until we can get the ideal fit for the job in a few months time?

3 hours ago, deanoakaram4life said:

A lot of unrest but so understandable! Absolute mind boggling that Wassell has the job when Mel has Pearson's job application in his hand ?

What's so great about Pearson?

Firstly just wanted to say great opening post in this thread. 

Also I don't understand the love in for Pearson. He's a McCarthy, a Warnock. A "get a team promoted but do nothing else" manager who will float around championship teams. He's got issues too, who grabs an oppo player round the neck during a game? Rants at the media at every opportunity? Maybe he can bring his son along too and really give the club a good name.  The cliche idea that we need someone to "kick the players up the @rse" is the only reason I can think why people would want him here. His comments about Leicester winning the league and being due to him are cringe worthy and akin to the self promoting you'd hear from Billy Davies. Thanks but no thanks. 

Archived