GRRR!!! NOT HACKED OFF IN THE SLIGHTEST!!!

wixman1884

7 hours ago, archied said:

Interested in where you draw the line in experience for someone to come in and manage Derby ,, is it success at the acadamy level? Is it success non league level ? Can it be a football fanatic that has never managed before but knows football inside out , the point I'm making is surely there is some criteria you use that you feel gives you the best chance of picking a winner for the role ,, on your basis there is nothing to say wassel can replicate any success he has at acadamy level,you obviously feel wassell is every bit as qualified and likely to succeed as say Brendon's Rogers or David moyes or Pearson ,, that's your choice.  ,, I totally disagree and I'm willing to bet 99 . 9 percent of clubs given the chance would pick a Rogers above wassell withe his level of experience ,,, there's a reason for that,, in any role you have a better chance of success with the best qualified candidate appointed for the vacancy ,, yes there are variables does he fit with what Derby are looking for ,can Mel work with him and such like but Derby in the position we are now need a qualified experienced manager totally confident in his ability to do the job and more to the point players need to feel he is qualified to manage them

So how are you quantifying experienced? 

Are you going on who has got the most badges?

Are you going on who has been managing for the longest?

I would take Rodgers over Wassall every day of the week but that is because he sticks to a good brand of football.

Then again for all of his experience he seems to have been out of work for a while.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, toddy said:

Yep, but Phil is not available. :D

Pearson and Rogers are available immediately.

20 minutes ago, toddy said:

Yep, but Phil is not available. :D

Pearson and Rogers are available immediately.

Are they? Is that fact or assumption?

Rogers is and said so last week on MOTD and I am assuming Pearson is unless Leicester gave a 12 mth pay off contract banning him from coaching/Managing, which is very unlikely - as the current season had not started when he was sacked.

On 2/29/2016 at 22:19, wixman1884 said:

Grrrr!

Don't get me wrong, I was pretty gutted about the Wolves performance and in no way do we look like a top 2 side at the moment, but I'm having a very hard time understanding the vitriol directed towards Mel, Rush and Wassall.

I'm not really entirely sure where all these huge glaring mistakes are that Mel has made since he came in either. By all accounts, McClaren's position was untenable, he had to go. We took a gamble on an unproven manager with enormous pedigree as an assistant. After an uninspiring albeit successful first half to the season, we took a complete nosedive and Mel saw it necessary to remove Clement. His reasoning may have seemed fuzzy at the time, but what is clear now is that he deemed Clement toxic to the culture of the club and wanted him replaced immediately. Wassall has been put in charge TEMPORARILY, presumably because Mel's target/targets aren't currently available and will be in the summer. If nothing else, DW's a likable, professional guy and knew the squad already. He's easily the smartest temporary appointment given the circumstances.

We've been far from spectacular under Wassall (although, he's had a better start than Clement did) but I'd be surprised if we didn't finish in the top 6 this season can only assume that people still (until last week) had some secret certainty that we would finish in the top two.

The only thing I've not been happy about is the vast sums we've been spending on players - this is the only mistake I think Mel has made - bloating the squad. It also shifts the narrative and we become "BIG SPENDING" Derby and suddenly everyone resents us.

This post is a bit of a call to reason - I'm truly pretty shocked by some of the reaction this week.

Oh and no, no, categorically no, we don't want Nigel Clough back.

Agree with all of this!!

Well for me it's about a number of things,, experience in pro football with record of getting success and building a team or teams( so someone sparkling from a lower level I would not rule out if it was someone I really felt showed real promise but that has to be as a number one and first team level ,, has to be someone capable of building a footballing side not a defensive  boring bunch of cloggers, and hopefully as well balanced media and fan friendly as poss , you may have to trade some of those qualities against other to get the best you can get,,, getting perfect is near impossible ,, but wassell as trial manager is unfair to the fans and unfair to wassel with Derby at the stage they are now,,,, maybe 5 years ago but not now,, wrong place wrong time

On 29 February 2016 at 22:51, wixman1884 said:

I think this is where we differ because I'm assuming that Clement was sacked largely for non-footballing reasons. Obviously results at the time were terrible, but my impressions have been Clement was doing more harm than good off the pitch and Wassall was brought in to reinstate a lot of the positives from the previous regime (culture, morale, fitness, etc). Perhaps I'm over extrapolating, but this was the impression that I came away with.

I'm also currently buying the story that Wassall will go back to the academy afterwards - unless he does spectacularly well, or things go completely south I can honestly see him just going back and getting on with things.

Your obviously very good at guessing what happen as regards Clement, as nobody will ever know what the true reasons were I would think. Mind you if I was paid the pay off Clement has no doubt received to say nothing I'd keep my mouth well & truly shut.

On March 1, 2016 at 04:29, CornwallRam said:

I perfectly understood what Mel meant. His idea is an incremental build where promotion will be a by-product of getting everything else right. I happen to believe that he is wrong. 

Agree. 

And why does MM care about getting things right? What's the big deal about sustainability? I am sure MM has all the numbers at his disposal and I have, like, none, but say we get promoted and get regulated immediately because we are not "prepared", we'd still be better off financially than staying in the Championship?

Accoding to an estimation made by ESPN, a team will earn at least 99m even if it finishes 20th in the Premier League, and will get another parachute payment of 65m over four years. 

99m + 65m over four years if we promote then get regulated (non Derby way)

vs.

Rely on MM to pump money in year after year (the Derby way)

Surely it is actually the non Derby way that is more sustainable? 

Or am I just confused?

On ‎01‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 17:03, Duracell said:

Wonder if the same people who say we should have kept Clement until we had a replacement would stay with a girlfriend they didn't love and made them miserable until they had their next bird lined up.

Well, Clement certainly got shafted from behind.

Archived