GRRR!!! NOT HACKED OFF IN THE SLIGHTEST!!!

wixman1884

1 hour ago, Ewe Ram said:

I kniw someone who works for Leics City and believe me we do not want Pearson. Anyway, give him a few months and if we aren't whitewashing the league you'll all be hounding him out as per

Ditto and a few stories I've heard make davros a saint by comparison. Point is though, is Pearson exactly what our lot need?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

But that wasn't the question - you have put forward answers the the question - 'What's so bad about Nigel Pearson?'

It's very true that Pearson is not as cuddly as Wassall, or for that matter Colin Murphy, Colin Addison or John Newman. Personally, I don't believe that anyone without a bit of an attitude has a chance of sorting the situation out. For a good chunk of the last twelve months we've displayed relegation form. FFP will mean that we can't spend very much next season. If Mel goes for another nice but inexperienced manager we may well be getting out of the Championship next season, but not in the direction we want.

Although Pearson is not the only candidate that I'd be happy with (Howe, Dyche, Rodgers, Rowett, Warburton and Monk all fine), he is the one with the best CV for our situation - and for that I'd put up with his baggage.

I think this is where we will agree to disagree. I don't see the need to have someone with a bit of attitude in our "situation" it's like when people say you need to get in people's faces and be direct when you're struggling at the bottom. It's rubbish cliche stuff in my opinion. A good manager is a good manager. He doesn't need an attitude and the players don't need to be torn a new one. They just need time under a good manager/coach who will get them playing to their potential. There's examples of it everywhere. Howe, Ranieri, Hughton, Rowett all have teams playing above their perceived level and none of them are the old school type manager ruling by fear. 

your hacked off, I'm getting Leicester fans join my twitter feed en masse, I don't even mention football on Twitter, I wake up to daily bulletins from LCFC, its ******* criminal, I haven't even got an ammunition to throw back apart from the early seventies which is wearing very thin now.

14 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Am I? Not sure how you decipher that from what I wrote?

You're not one of those who has twisted Mel's words into 'we don't want promotion' too are you?

So what did you mean by 'I love the fact that so many experts think you wave a magic wand and get a manager who guarantees you promotion.'?

And no, I perfectly understood what Mel meant. His idea is an incremental build where promotion will be a by-product of getting everything else right. I happen to believe that he is wrong. Teams tend to get promoted by seizing the moment, rather than patiently building as each change has knock on consequences, e.g. adding a quality player to a promising team often makes things worse as his movement/passing/vision doesn't fit as well with the other players as the last guy, despite the new player clearly having superior skill. Development in football is rarely linear.

1 minute ago, LesterRam said:

your hacked off, I'm getting Leicester fans join my twitter feed en masse, I don't even mention football on Twitter, I wake up to daily bulletins from LCFC, its ******* criminal, I haven't even got an ammunition to throw back apart from the early seventies which is wearing very thin now.

Tell them that they're club are a bunch of despicable cheats. They went into administration to clear debts, thus sending numerous creditors bust. They also failed FFP and still owe the Football League a fine.

2 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Tell them that they're club are a bunch of despicable cheats. They went into administration to clear debts, thus sending numerous creditors bust. They also failed FFP and still owe the Football League a fine.

Once tried all that myself, they just sing we are top of the league back at me. To be honest I'd do the same if I was them, gotta rise above it, than come across all jealous.

10 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

So what did you mean by 'I love the fact that so many experts think you wave a magic wand and get a manager who guarantees you promotion.'?

I mean the people saying we shouldn't have Wassall because that's writing off the season, we should get an experienced manager are talking tripe.

Do they remember when we got experienced Paul Jewell to save out season?

15 minutes ago, WilkoRam said:

I think this is where we will agree to disagree. I don't see the need to have someone with a bit of attitude in our "situation" it's like when people say you need to get in people's faces and be direct when you're struggling at the bottom. It's rubbish cliche stuff in my opinion. A good manager is a good manager. He doesn't need an attitude and the players don't need to be torn a new one. They just need time under a good manager/coach who will get them playing to their potential. There's examples of it everywhere. Howe, Ranieri, Hughton, Rowett all have teams playing above their perceived level and none of them are the old school type manager ruling by fear. 

None of those four managers (I'm a big fan of Hughton whom I'd also love to see at Derby btw) came into a situation where they had to sort out an expensively assembled shambles of a squad. Pearson did that very job when he came back to Leicester. Being a shrinking violet was not part of the reason he managed to do that. He had to move out several 'big names' and lay down the law to others in order to get the dressing room back in to order.

The point I think that people are missing is that we are in a very precarious position. We have a big wage bill, we are committed to amortisation losses of c£7m per year for the next three seasons and won't be able to offload many of our expensive flops. If attendances drop then so does our turnover - and they will soon without some on-field improvement. Fortunately we have Mel Morris who appears happy to bankroll the club, so there's no danger of financial calamity. However, FFP will be so tight that a new manager won't have any real funds to play with. The new manager will have to get things right from day one - I'd argue that the best chance of that happening is hire the manager who has successfully steered a club from a position which almost exactly matched our own.

1 hour ago, archied said:

G star you are right there are no garuntees , but come on mate be right you can load the dice in your favour hugely by taking note of lots of factors ,, experience , record and such like ,,,,,,, you don't see too many poor bookies so I'm guessing they are on to something using these factors to work out odds,,, and if Mel ain't doing the same then yes he really is missing a trick

4 titles and 5 further automatic promotion places up for grabs in the English top 4 divisions. 92 clubs. I would suggest the odds of finding a manager that pretty much guarantees promotion are very heavily stacked against you.

l'll throw a name out there for you to ponder then, Steve Evans.

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I mean the people saying we shouldn't have Wassall because that's writing off the season, we should get an experienced manager are talking tripe.

Do they remember when we got experienced Paul Jewell to save out season?

I must be talking tripe then because handing the job to Wassall is, IMO, writing the season off and an experienced manager would give us a far greater chance at promotion. Obviously, nothing is guaranteed, but even if an experienced manager didn't improve things this season, he would be in a far better position in the summer to know how to reshape the squad. 

And because Jewell got it so spectacularly wrong it doesn't mean that you can extrapolate that to every experienced manager. 

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

4 titles and 5 further automatic promotion places up for grabs in the English top 4 divisions. 92 clubs. I would suggest the odds of finding a manager that pretty much guarantees promotion are very heavily stacked against you.

l'll throw a name out there for you to ponder then, Steve Evans.

I'll see your Steve Evans and raise you with Gary Brazil

25 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I must be talking tripe then because handing the job to Wassall is, IMO, writing the season off and an experienced manager would give us a far greater chance at promotion. Obviously, nothing is guaranteed, but even if an experienced manager didn't improve things this season, he would be in a far better position in the summer to know how to reshape the squad. 

And because Jewell got it so spectacularly wrong it doesn't mean that you can extrapolate that to every experienced manager. 

Absolutely nothing guarantees you a greater chance of promotion.

Your missing the point g star , I'm accepting that you can't garuntee anything in football ,but your totally ignoring the glaring truth that you can hugely increase your chances of it by looking for experience and a decent track record and history? Surely you can't just gloss over that u disputable fact?,, if so will Man united be looking at the lower echelons of football for their next manager ?chelsea will be in for wassell with his 50% win ratio surely?

3 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

How rude! Never could you say that about me. 

I kniw someone who works for Leics City and believe me we do not want Pearson. Anyway, give him a few months and if we aren't whitewashing the league you'll all be hounding him out as per

No one mentioned Pearson, I've never hounded anyone out.

You're babbling.

43 minutes ago, archied said:

Your missing the point g star , I'm accepting that you can't garuntee anything in football ,but your totally ignoring the glaring truth that you can hugely increase your chances of it by looking for experience and a decent track record and history? Surely you can't just gloss over that u disputable fact?,, if so will Man united be looking at the lower echelons of football for their next manager ?chelsea will be in for wassell with his 50% win ratio surely?

Yeah they wouldn't hire a manager from the lower echelons of football to take over for the remainder of a season would they?

Roberto-Di-Matteo-014.jpg?w=620&q=55&aut

avram.t1larg.jpg

8 minutes ago, scarboroughwa said:

No one mentioned Pearson, I've never hounded anyone out.

You're babbling.

Still being rude though aren't you?

I was replying to various comments on this thread in my second paragraph. Probably why my post count is so low even with 5 years membership. 

1 hour ago, archied said:

Indisputable fact?

Past performance offers very little insight to what will happen in the future, if it did why are there so many sackings on the managerial merry go round? 

For every experienced manager that does well in a job there are probably going to be 50 others that and up getting the sack.

What about Brian McDermott? Took Reading up out of this division before, are they going up this year? What about Dougie Freedman? Managed at a higher level than this? Steve Evans? Numerous promotions on his cv. Mick McCarthy? Paul Lambert? This list goes on and on...

All experienced managers, all had much longer than 13 games, why are they not challenging for promotion?

Way too many variables to expect almost any manager to replicate success from a previous club at a new one.

Archived