The Derby Way

Stive Pesley

The performance level of the team did not embrace the attacking entertaining style of the good Steve Mac period. That is the basis for the "Derby Way". PC bought into that at interview but couldn't/wouldn't deliver hence the turgid stuff we sat through. The plan is that consistently good performance will eventually and naturally produce promotion.

Ps It will also put bums on seats.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Jon_Grooves said:

Just watched his video of Mel Morris and im confused to what the plan that paul clement didnt work towards. Who can expain what hes on about for me?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35524122

Under Steve McClaren we played a fast, fluid, attacking style that was great to watch. At the end of last season, the results dried up and we looked poor. Under Paul Clement we played a slow, abrasive, defensive style that was really boring to watch, the results remain mediocre at best.

The policy of MM has been clear from the start, get the structure of the club right, get the academy right, get the team playing good football, get the fans excited, build a strong squad and then promotion will be inevitable.

Getting promoted with a bloated squad playing **** football, players looking unhappy and under-confident, with no youngsters getting a look in and fan's grumbling getting louder is pretty much a guarantee of immediate relegation. 

5 hours ago, rammieib said:

But he should be smart enough to realise that using the phrase 'Derby Way' is only going to fall into ridicule. If the Derby way falls into the previous two seasons - then what we are really talking about is September 13 to about January 15 - i.e about a season and a half.

I'm sorry - but Morris has embarrassed our club and our fans in the media. The National press have made us a laughing stock (Quite rightly) and Morris is treating the club as a toy. As @alpha would say - its 'Toxic'

If we could hook this level of hand-wringing up to the National Grid, we wouldn't need wind farms.

I don't get what's so hard to understand. Mel wants to replicate what's happened with Southampton and he's pretty much lifted their ethos and trying to bring it into our club. They explicitly called it 'The Southampton Way' and I don't think any Derby fan would ridicule what has happened at Southampton.

The ground work, the facilities, the ethos, and the willingness of the owner and chair man to see this through, even if it makes enemies; is what's going to make 'The Derby Way' a reality. Cortese sacked Adkins even though he got them promoted to the Premier League, was criticised heavily for it, and replaced him with Pochettino, a man who was completely invested in the project. It paid off supremely with academy products being the envy of the Premier League (Chambers, Shaw, Chamberlain, Lallana etc)

I'd rather have someone who has the guts to do something so brave, especially since sacking a manager 5 points off top was baffling to a lot of people (including me). I have an appreciation for Mel Morris, if he's a patch on Nicola Cortese then we'll be in very good shape in the future. Now we need to find our Pochettino.

2 hours ago, Shang said:

I don't get what's so hard to understand. Mel wants to replicate what's happened with Southampton and he's pretty much lifted their ethos and trying to bring it into our club. They explicitly called it 'The Southampton Way' and I don't think any Derby fan would ridicule what has happened at Southampton.

The ground work, the facilities, the ethos, and the willingness of the owner and chair man to see this through, even if it makes enemies; is what's going to make 'The Derby Way' a reality. Cortese sacked Adkins even though he got them promoted to the Premier League, was criticised heavily for it, and replaced him with Pochettino, a man who was completely invested in the project. It paid off supremely with academy products being the envy of the Premier League (Chambers, Shaw, Chamberlain, Lallana etc)

I'd rather have someone who has the guts to do something so brave, especially since sacking a manager 5 points off top was baffling to a lot of people (including me). I have an appreciation for Mel Morris, if he's a patch on Nicola Cortese then we'll be in very good shape in the future. Now we need to find our Pochettino.

So why do we not have a full time manager replacing Clement now...

2 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

So why do we not have a full time manager replacing Clement now...

Because we're doing due diligence to make sure whoever replaces Clement is the right person?...

Cortese is a personal friend of Pochettino and had talks and discussions with him for months while Adkins was in charge to make sure he was invested in the plan. We haven't got those existing relationships.

Was just sat on the karzie at work watching the highlights of Schteve's first home game against Leeds.  On all three goals Bryson is either in line of beyond Martin.  Has that happened at any point this season other than last weekend???  That's the kinda thing Mr Morris is referring to when he talks about style of play he wants us to play...

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 11:25, rammieib said:

But he should be smart enough to realise that using the phrase 'Derby Way' is only going to fall into ridicule. If the Derby way falls into the previous two seasons - then what we are really talking about is September 13 to about January 15 - i.e about a season and a half.

I'm sorry - but Morris has embarrassed our club and our fans in the media. The National press have made us a laughing stock (Quite rightly) and Morris is treating the club as a toy. As @alpha would say - its 'Toxic'

Unless of course it works!

Wassall on the Derby Way from DET:

NEW head coach Darren Wassall has been asked for his take on the "Derby County Way".

Paul Clement was sacked earlier this week and Darren Wassall, the club's Academy Director, has taken charge of the first team for the rest if the season.

Club owner and chairman Mel Morris wants to see the team's style of play return to the "Derby County Way".

"The 'Derby Way' is simple ... we want to be very hard to beat," said Wassall.

"We want to make the iPro into a fortress.

"The biggest thing is a very strong spine of the team and we certainly want to be very competitive but also we want to try and play attractive football and score lots of goals.

"It is easier said than done. There are a lot of difficult opponents in this league but we are going to give it our best shot."

2 hours ago, AmericanRam said:

Wassall on the Derby Way from DET:

NEW head coach Darren Wassall has been asked for his take on the "Derby County Way".

Paul Clement was sacked earlier this week and Darren Wassall, the club's Academy Director, has taken charge of the first team for the rest if the season.

Club owner and chairman Mel Morris wants to see the team's style of play return to the "Derby County Way".

"The 'Derby Way' is simple ... we want to be very hard to beat," said Wassall.

"We want to make the iPro into a fortress.

"The biggest thing is a very strong spine of the team and we certainly want to be very competitive but also we want to try and play attractive football and score lots of goals.

"It is easier said than done. There are a lot of difficult opponents in this league but we are going to give it our best shot."

Er ok.

only 3 teams have lost fewer games at home, 

Only 1 team has fewer away defeats

only 3 teams have scored more at home ??

On 10 February 2016 at 02:48, EnigmaRam said:

I believe mclaren wasn't sacked for not getting promotion but for having his head turned and not being honest or fair to the club,mp layers or fans. Just my opinion. It was great nail biting football to watch though and even when we went a goal down I had confidence we would still win. Unlike this season.

That he was. But, as I have always argued, the only things which were unusual about McClaren having his head turned was that he stayed until the end of the season...and then changed his mind about going.

Too many Derby fans - including Mel it seems - just confuse practicality with loyalty/disloyalty. Ironically, had McClaren been less loyal and not knocked Newcastle back in January, he would have been forgiven much more readily.

Am I now the only one wondering in hindsight if Mel was'chucking a 'nana' behind the scenes after McClaren told the Board he either would take the Newcastle job or was thinking about it?

Don't misunderstand me: I can understand why Mel would have been upset since he is trying to build Derby into a mid-Premiership club and is making huge strides across the entire business. But, if this is even remotely a factor in his thinking, he MUST learn not to consider it an insult either to Derby or him. Until his ambition is realised, we have to accept players and managers will, as they perform for us, attract the attention of the bigger clubs.

We ought be proud of that fact ...and derive income from it....like Southampton. 

Archived