The Derby Way

Stive Pesley

Have seen a lot of stuff online questioning this idea of playing "the Derby way".

People wondering if it's really possible for a club to have a defined playing style that endures throughout the years regardless of owners, chairmen, managers and players all coming and going.

Then I think about Leeds United and realise that it is entirely possible.

"So Mr Evans what makes you think you'd be suitable for the job of managing Leeds?

Well..I loves to see ma team kick the crap oot of the opponents

I see, and promotion is not your primary target?

Nae! I just wants to see ma lads kick the crap oot of the opponents

Well that's wonderful, but what about long ball? Will you play long ball?

Erm - can we still kick crap oot of the opponents?

Of course..

Aye then let's have the goalie hoof it up field and then if it lands with one of their players, we'll kick the crap oot of them

You're hired"

And so it goes on

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His whole concept of talking about the Derby Way makes Morris look like an idiot. We're just another club which falls under the same umbrella as 20 other clubs when you look at success/history etc

If he had come out and said "The style of play with the lack of an attacking mentality and a high pressing tactic are not the characteristics we are seeing in this team. This goes against the philosophy that Paul Clement signed up to and was recruited against. This is why we are making the decision to let him go now"

If he had something like this then I could maybe have bought into it just a little bit more - but no - not only was the sacking embrassing, but his explanation of why, is embarrassing.

Presumably "The Derby Way" is the style seen in our swashbuckling promotion push two years ago. Introduced by Steve McClaren who was then sacked for not getting promotion. Mel is now on the lookout for a manager to reintroduce that style, promotion not necessary. I'm lost as to where he should look, though.

Leeds United were formed after Leeds City were kicked out of the football league for making illeagal payments to players.

Steve Evans was banned from football for 18 months after being found guilty of making illeagal payments to players.

Two corrupt peas in a disgusting pod.

I think to be honest "The Derby Way" is any style that entertains the Derby fans. If we are entertained by it, and it's showing progress towards success, MM will be happy with it. By declaring all of this is because he wants "The Derby Way" is not to say he has a specific style in mind, what he's saying is he will not sit in the stands watching dull, boring football lacking energy and forward thinking EVEN if after 30 games we're 5th (which, incidentally isn't all that great with the players we have). 

"Southampton have become the envy of English football this season, so it has been no surprise to learn of Tottenham's admiration for manager Mauricio Pochettino following the sacking of Andre Villas-Boas.

This progressive young Argentine has been praised for his tactical nous but he will not have given a second thought to swapping Saints for Spurs for one reason and one reason only - executive chairman Nicola Cortese.

Much has been written about the secret of Southampton's success, the reason for the club's rise from the brink of liquidation and the depths of League One in 2009-2010, to the upper echelons of the Premier League.

Former managers and Pochettino have rightly been lauded, as have the club's academy directors after producing a string of bright young English talent. But the players, staff and Pochettino himself speak with one voice when they say Cortese is the one man the club cannot do without.

The Italy-born Swiss has been portrayed as a ruthless megalomaniac. When he sacked Nigel Adkins last January, he was described as "an embarrassment", accused of not understanding the game and questioned by fans and former players alike. The critics have since gone quiet. 

Spend a few hours at Southampton's Marchwood training centre and you will form a different view of Cortese, The kit men and the groundsmen know him as Nicola, not Mr Chairman. He knows the names of their wives and family. He sends birthday cards. He actually seems to care.

Is he fiercely ambitious? Yes. Is he incredibly driven? Definitely. But everyone at the club seems to agree there is no great secret behind their success.

Southampton executive chairman Nicola Cortese is fiercely ambitious

Southampton focus on themselves, they play the same way whether they are playing Manchester United away or Hull City at home. They train that way, from the academy through to the first team. Formations are not discussed. Numbers are not used. It is about shape, structure not 4-3-3 or 4-5-1. Under Cortese, this is a slick operation where no detail is overlooked.

Marginal gains are everything at Southampton. Small improvements on and off the field that add up to continued and consistent improvement. The players talk about their chairman as someone who constantly surprises them, challenges them and demands more from them. The new training ground is a case in point.

The first team are expected to move into it next summer but the players are already talking among themselves safe in the knowledge that it will be the best, simply because their chairman has overseen the entire project. Southampton want to create an environment where the players want to stay around after training and want to mix with each other. The main building will resemble a five-star hotel, as will the staff.

The 12 pitches have been built on different levels to avoid creating a large, windswept area. Gardeners will be employed, terracing installed and the playing surfaces will vary from pitch to pitch to replicate the many different types of grass and artificial grass that is woven into Premier League pitches.

The scouting set-up is the envy of the biggest clubs in England; it is focused, structured and unerringly accurate. Targets are identified months in advance. Panic buys are a thing of the past. The development of young English players stems from Cortese's vision - he wants to field a team of them - as does the style of play which Pochettino has realised so brilliantly this season.

Southampton's incredible rise to prominence in recent seasons is not a fluke, it was carefully planned. And the planning is now focusing on new goals.

Last April, the players were shown a film called the "Southampton Way". It charted the development of the team from League One to the Premier League and, at the end, insiders say, asked not if Southampton can win the Premier League, but how.

That is the ultimate target for this project and there is a belief throughout the club that it is attainable and realistic, however impossible those outside might deem it. Many of the players have committed themselves to the club because of their chairman. 

They say he encourages them to talk to each other, encourage each other to sign new deals and grow together. Interest in the manager is futile at this stage because he is committed to the Southampton way and committed to Cortese beyond all else. Leading clubs in Italy and Germany have expressed an interest in Southampton's executive chairman. 

Were Cortese to leave in the future, Pochettino would follow suit and many of the club's leading players would also question their future. The club's success is the realisation of Cortese's vision. Pochettino would be the first to deflect any suggestions that this season is down to him. 

For now, Southampton's project remains very much on course. As long, as the chairman remains at the helm, anything is possible. 

So the question now is not whether Southampton can hang on to Pochettino, but whether they can keep Cortese."

Spot the parallels?

7 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Presumably "The Derby Way" is the style seen in our swashbuckling promotion push two years ago. Introduced by Steve McClaren who was then sacked for not getting promotion. Mel is now on the lookout for a manager to reintroduce that style, promotion not necessary. I'm lost as to where he should look, though.

I believe mclaren wasn't sacked for not getting promotion but for having his head turned and not being honest or fair to the club,mp layers or fans. Just my opinion. It was great nail biting football to watch though and even when we went a goal down I had confidence we would still win. Unlike this season.

57 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Has he looked behind the fridge?

I do think and sorry but I can't see past it ,that our chance was at Wembley and we have missed the boat . Certainly in the near future  .

If you  look at Sam's  tenure  ,sacked NC  brought in SM we enjoyed the football but in terms of promotion failure then on to PC again failure don't get me wrong I like Sam and he's given it a go but a lot of things have to line up to make the cut and I just think we have missed it .

Hope I am wrong ,time will tell.

But on to many occasions we did not.The Derby way,win some lose some.,Club well run or club in turmoil.

This is the Derby way,But we have a manager,who we give time to build a team,and is responsible for..team affairs,

A puppet of a Head-Coach is not The Derby Way,Chairman plus board is the derby way.

If Mel Morris Wants the Derby way,We don't need a C=E=O who came to us in the championship/ Was full of bright ideas.

Clough-Mclaren--Evans,Clements 8 coaches,all sacked,Recruitment,,lost the plot.

Looking forward to the Derby way,This way the Sam Rush master plan ,with millions spent   is not the Derby way

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

His whole concept of talking about the Derby Way makes Morris look like an idiot. We're just another club which falls under the same umbrella as 20 other clubs when you look at success/history etc

If he had come out and said "The style of play with the lack of an attacking mentality and a high pressing tactic are not the characteristics we are seeing in this team. This goes against the philosophy that Paul Clement signed up to and was recruited against. This is why we are making the decision to let him go now"

If he had something like this then I could maybe have bought into it just a little bit more - but no - not only was the sacking embrassing, but his explanation of why, is embarrassing.

In principal you are right but such is ill educated nature of the press and some of the public that they need a buzz word to feed to the masses and the "Derby Way" fits the bill. 

I am showing my age but it is common practice now to try and encapsulate an argument in a simple phrase or cliché. I suppose making something succinct has advantages but the finer points and the detail are too often blurred which leads to misunderstandings. 

I would say that there are clubs that historically have a name for having gifted players and a swashbuckling approach to play.

Man U , Barca, and in times past Spur have that aura . I think this is the intent that MM wants to promote and good for him because apart from a few statisticians and the unimaginative then it's something most of us would like to see. 

Now on what was I saying about keeping things short and sweet 

30 minutes ago, trevor1946 said:

But on to many occasions we did not.The Derby way,win some lose some.,Club well run or club in turmoil.

This is the Derby way,But we have a manager,who we give time to build a team,and is responsible for..team affairs,

A puppet of a Head-Coach is not The Derby Way,Chairman plus board is the derby way.

If Mel Morris Wants the Derby way,We don't need a C=E=O who came to us in the championship/ Was full of bright ideas.

Clough-Mclaren--Evans,Clements 8 coaches,all sacked,Recruitment,,lost the plot.

Looking forward to the Derby way,This way the Sam Rush master plan ,with millions spent   is not the Derby way

I'm so sorry that your anti-Sam Rush bile continues to rot you away from the inside.

Archived