Lack of pace

Bris Vegas

Can you name a slower Derby County side than that XI which played against Manchester United in the last decade?

I'm not talking about the passing, but the general movement off the ball and the ability to carry it.

Our fullbacks are slow, our central midfielders are slow, Blackman isn't exactly quick, while Tom Ince is at a push, and then Chris Martin is slow. No wonder we play at pedestrian pace with little movement.

To counter a lack of pace this team must push up ten yards, and play most the football in the opposition half.

If we're going to sit back and try and play on the counter, at least get guys like Bryson, Weimann, Camara and Russell in there who might be able to stretch teams a little.

With McClaren we could do it. Bryson, Ward, Russell, Ibe and even Dawkins could stretch teams.

This team offers so little going forward. I feel sorry for Chris Martin, he has absolutely nothing to work off.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree Bris, I would say along with the lack of real pace there is a huge lack of any urgency to the play all over the pitch and I hate to be the one to say it because I know how everyone is in love with him but I think this stems from Thorne, he slows the game down too often. (And Johnson being poo doesn't help)

I agree, we play too deep at a terribly slow pace, and when the ball does go to Martin there's no one near him and he gets crowded out. We are desperate for some players with pace, unfortunately when you look at the options we have with pace it doesn't fill you with confidence. 

It's lack of pace switching the ball just as well as lack of running pace. United tore us apart with quick balls into loads of space. It takes us two or three passes to make the same switches, in that time they have closed down the space we have made. Countless times the past weeks people have made space on the wings and we are too slow finding them. 

7 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Can you name a slower Derby County side than that XI which played against Manchester United in the last decade?

I'm not talking about the passing, but the general movement off the ball and the ability to carry it.

Our fullbacks are slow, our central midfielders are slow, Blackman isn't exactly quick, while Tom Ince is at a push, and then Chris Martin is slow. No wonder we play at pedestrian pace with little movement.

To counter a lack of pace this team must push up ten yards, and play most the football in the opposition half.

If we're going to sit back and try and play on the counter, at least get guys like Bryson, Weimann, Camara and Russell in there who might be able to stretch teams a little.

With McClaren we could do it. Bryson, Ward, Russell, Ibe and even Dawkins could stretch teams.

This team offers so little going forward. I feel sorry for Chris Martin, he has absolutely nothing to work off.

Derby: Bywater, Connolly, Addison, Albrechtsen, Stewart, Barazite (Sterjovski 63), Green, Savage (Pearson 82), Teale, Commons, Hulse (Porter 68). 

Last time we played them.

Count the touches that each team takes in their moves. Count the seconds that each player has the ball for and only stop when it reaches the target. It's incredibly low with the exception of Martial for United. While obviously United have much better quality I'm pretty sure we could cut ours down. 

And 4 players stop the ball dead often. It's not a FK lads.

Then the gap between Martin and the midfield 3? Huuuuuge

Never going to boss the ball last night though. Think some may have read too much Sky Sports criticism. They're not a top United side but they're still a top side

I completely agree, we looked so slow, plus we regularly panicked and seemed to have no options when we were closed down. George Thorne's goal was great but it was one highlight in a very, very lackluster Derby performance. I know there was a huge skill difference but on the odd moment when we actually made it near the opposition box, you felt we could do something yet we panicked and made the wrong pass or shoot choice.
I'm waiting for Tuesday's match now to see if there's a bit more flow and urgency in our play. We're definitely missing a spark.

We lack threat going forward which is a culmination of the lack of pace , a real goal threat striker and the slow build up which allows teams in our league to get back behind the ball and reorganise for that reason we will be playing championship football, unless something changes 

2 hours ago, YouRams said:

It's lack of pace switching the ball just as well as lack of running pace. United tore us apart with quick balls into loads of space. It takes us two or three passes to make the same switches, in that time they have closed down the space we have made. Countless times the past weeks people have made space on the wings and we are too slow finding them. 

I agree, the 15mins around when we scored we seemed to pick up the pace (passing, switching and moving the ball) and it worked. For me it's all about getting people further forward, if Martin gets the ball with no one in support it completely slows us down. Even though we are not blessed with pace, im sure pushing further up the field will make our game quicker. 

19 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Hilariously, we now dont really have any great passers of the ball in the midfield now Thorne is out. Got a feel we could go from being overly conservative with our massive amounts of possession to being wasteful with much less possession.

(and Christie is hardly slow, Bris) 

is it just me but I think Thorne is a poor passer of the ball?

Not one for stats, but Thorne has something like 85% pass completion this season, so not by any stretch could he be considered poor in that area.

The only criticism of his passing could be that a lot of them are sideways or backwards, but that's his job in that position.

Archived