The Huddle, The Captain, The Dressing Room

Ninos

At lunch today, a Derby supporter acquaintance of mine pointed out that him and his mates noticed that the players aren't doing their pre game huddle lately. That surprised me as I hadnt noticed it but if it is true (maybe others can confirm) then I'm left thinking its a captains task and since neither Shackell or Thorne are captains (to me the more obvious choices) then who's supposed to sort it out? Baird ? Martin ? Warnock? surely we need some real leadership on the field and in the dressing room surely? Is it there? 

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From a very good source from 'within' the club, I've been told that the team spirit is probably the lowest that it's been since 2010-11 and that is partly down to the players not knowing who is in/out, being unsure of whether they are staying at the club, too many new faces in the dressing room,  generally not enjoying the current atmosphere around the club and interference from 'up high'. (Although you could probably take your pick from any of those at any club in the country !)

But apart from that......... 

And this from a team who are still in contention for an automatic !....Depressing stuff.

I think MonkeyBoy is correct!

I had a bad feeling when we were getting linked with players and thought that it could unsettle some of them, Martin in particular. Surely Clement would have had a one2one with each and every player and told them if they were part of the plan... or not.

We had a GREAT team spirit!  I think that this has gone, it may just be down to an individual.

It makes me sad    :(

1 hour ago, cosmic said:

Can't really comment on how useful a huddle really is, or what the dressing room is really like. But it's probably safe to say we're a million miles away from this kind of camaraderie:

2187107571.jpg

Our last goal came against Reading when we were playing badly. A very similar scene, everyone ran over to Shackell and if I recall correctly there was a bit of a pile on.

I think the players got more excited than the crowd for that goal.

So yeah, I don't see it.

And so it starts..........(or continues)

How long before we get Clement has lost the dressing room, I wonder. 

They bloody well should be unhappy, none of them are playing particularly well and one or two have competition for their places that they haven't had for a while.  Good.

It wasn't so long ago that there was moaning because we couldn't buy a win during the run in because we couldn't defend; that we weren't sure that the 'Yanks' were really one of us; that we wanted investment; and pace up front. Now it's that the team spirit has disappeared and we're 11 individuals (or 30); that not having a pre-match huddle is some sinister representative of a dressing room in crisis or a lack of leadership even though it's probably the players' choice.  These are pretty much the same individuals that have almost the best goals for and against record in the division, that currently lie third and have lost 4 league matches all season. Bolton fans would quite like to be in our position.

Every team in every league almost every year (Arsenal excepted in one season only) have a bad run of results.  Welcome to ours.  It might just end on Monday night, or the following Friday or even the Saturday after that.  But it will end.

Theyre professional footballers, they should know that its a fickle game and can be dropped at any moment, especially when in the transition from championship to premiership. They jsut need to play the best they can when they start. The team isnt changing that much that players dont know where they stand one week from another.

for example ive just got promoted from the championship to premiership on fifa 16 and ive got 8 new players who are better than this seasons team. Same thing innit.

I can understand there being a lack of team spirit. We have too many players now, and too many poor players still getting closer to the first team squad than better players. Off loading a few one way or another is the best thing we can do. In three seasons we've gone from such a small squad to a huge squad.

Its a headache for Clement. Too many players to keep happy and no clear 'best' team.

I'd be more pleased to see players leave than arrive for sure.

Any business has ins and outs and it's unrealistic to expect to have the same group of players forever and a day based on our   uniformed opinion whether the players are unhappy or not. Anyway team spirit/bonding is easy to fix, you could arrange a mid season break to Dubai.. Oh hang on a minute

If this is the case the players need to sort them selves out there pro footballers all on decent wages. Bet there all in great spirits come pay day. I don't particularly like my job but I don't wander about looking miserable not doing what im paid for or i would be sacked. 

On 20 January 2016 at 17:58, ilkleyram said:

They bloody well should be unhappy, none of them are playing particularly well and one or two have competition for their places that they haven't had for a while.  Good.

It wasn't so long ago that there was moaning because we couldn't buy a win during the run in because we couldn't defend; that we weren't sure that the 'Yanks' were really one of us; that we wanted investment; and pace up front. Now it's that the team spirit has disappeared and we're 11 individuals (or 30); that not having a pre-match huddle is some sinister representative of a dressing room in crisis or a lack of leadership even though it's probably the players' choice.  These are pretty much the same individuals that have almost the best goals for and against record in the division, that currently lie third and have lost 4 league matches all season. Bolton fans would quite like to be in our position.

Every team in every league almost every year (Arsenal excepted in one season only) have a bad run of results.  Welcome to ours.  It might just end on Monday night, or the following Friday or even the Saturday after that.  But it will end.

If we not 3-0 in first 15 mins i aint going again

On 20/01/2016 at 18:29, Super Johnny Russell said:

I can understand there being a lack of team spirit. We have too many players now, and too many poor players still getting closer to the first team squad than better players. Off loading a few one way or another is the best thing we can do. In three seasons we've gone from such a small squad to a huge squad.

Its a headache for Clement. Too many players to keep happy and no clear 'best' team.

I'd be more pleased to see players leave than arrive for sure.

Who would that be?

On 20/01/2016 at 17:58, ilkleyram said:

Hallelujah.

Archived