Burnley v Derby

Carl Sagan

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, valleyram said:

I don't give a monkeys about any other team right now but if he's fit now he should play , not one of the midfield players give what he gives to the team , you need team players to win things 

pretty sure each of our midfielders can look scared on the ball and cock up a 5 yard pass

Hi RicME85, how can a player play well then not be able to do the basics six weeks later? I used to play golf and my touch varied but I never had a game when I did not play a reasonable number of pretty good shots. One move is enough to create a chance. Van der Gaal has manged to spend £250 million and not be able to create more than a handful of chances in games, sometimes only one chance, whilst having 60% possession.

Clarets fan preview.

Really hard one to call.  Like I said before I think you’re struggling due to pressure at home.  I know it bugs the **** out of you but I think Dyche’s money/pressure comments have worked a treat.  However, away from home when the form book says you should lose that pressure is gone.  In fact the stick players like Shackell and Blackman will receive is likely to be a motivator.  Away fans are generally more patient than home support so I’d predict a good performance from you.  Ofcourse, a good performance doesn’t guarantee a result.

We’re a much different beast to the team you faced at the iPro.  The defence was changed a few games back and that’s coincided with our upturn in form.  Ben Mee moved in to central defence to replace Duff, (moving Keane to his favoured right side), Stephen Ward has come in at left back and Matt Lowton has earned his place at right back ahead of Darikwa.  This defence is much more balanced and composed than the previous backline.  Ward gives it much more of an attacking threat than Mee provided, your fans I imagine are thinking of stopping Gray but in my opinion Ward (and to a lesser extent Lowton) is the one to stop to limit chances.  Keane has been fantastic so far.  Mee prefers the centre back role and has had some really good games, his lack of height is the only concern for me in central defence but he’s got a good leap so it’s not been a problem so far – he dealt with Murphy of Ipswich very well.

In midfield we have two natural central mids now, as opposed to playing a winger in there as we did at the iPro.  It’ll be either Jones and Barton or Marney and Barton – I’m hoping for Jones and Barton personally because they keep possession better.  Barton will probably pick up a booking but on reputation alone.  He’s not shown any indication of that mental streak he’s known for, he’s actually been the epitome of calm and composure (famous last words).  We don’t bypass the midfield as many seem to assume but we are more about distributing it wide through them rather than passing through the middle of the park.

Arfield and Boyd will be the wingers I imagine.  Jury is still out on Boyd this season with many fans preferring Kightly but his performance (and goal) against Brentford will likely have kept him in it.  Arfield and Boyd are more your cutting-inside kind of winger than getting-to-the-byline which allows Lowton & Ward to bomb on, if they’re pegged back then you’ve cut out a good proportion of our threat.  Both wingers are capable of a worldie given some space, Arfield more than Boyd.

Gray and Vokes will be the strikers (barring fitness concerns) and they now have more of an understanding.  Despite Vokes’ aerial threat we don’t lump it long as often as we did earlier in the season.  You’re just as likely to see balls into Gray’s feet with his back to the goal and he’ll try to roll your defenders – Gray’s obvious threat is his pace but his strength is probably his best quality, I don’t think he’ll struggle for physicality against Shackell or Keogh.  Gray’s weakness is that he often needs about 3 chances to put 1 away.  Vokes is just about getting back to match sharpness from the cruciate injury he suffered near the end of the 13/14 season and despite his size he’s more of a goal threat with his feet than in the air.  That said his height is handy for the target man play.

Pin your hopes on stopping Gray at your peril, we’re not a one man team.  Despite using fewer players than any other club in the league we’ve had 12 different scorers (compared to your 11) and Gray has scored only 1 of our last 10 goals.

I don’t make score predictions because they always bite me on the backside.  Form book says a win, I’d be happy with a draw, a defeat would be very damaging.  With yourselves, Boro and Hull to play at home our automatics chances are in our hands, lose any of those three and we put ourselves under pressure.

1 hour ago, twinkletoes said:

No more excuses we need to get back on track come on you RAMS lets shut hollowhead and the ginger **** right up

Excuses? Our head coach and players have been refreshingly honest in appraising recent performances. No one has been giving excuses as far as I have read/heard. 

1 hour ago, ClaretMatt said:

Clarets fan preview.

Really hard one to call.  Like I said before I think you’re struggling due to pressure at home.  I know it bugs the **** out of you but I think Dyche’s money/pressure comments have worked a treat.  However, away from home when the form book says you should lose that pressure is gone.  In fact the stick players like Shackell and Blackman will receive is likely to be a motivator.  Away fans are generally more patient than home support so I’d predict a good performance from you.  Ofcourse, a good performance doesn’t guarantee a result.

We’re a much different beast to the team you faced at the iPro.  The defence was changed a few games back and that’s coincided with our upturn in form.  Ben Mee moved in to central defence to replace Duff, (moving Keane to his favoured right side), Stephen Ward has come in at left back and Matt Lowton has earned his place at right back ahead of Darikwa.  This defence is much more balanced and composed than the previous backline.  Ward gives it much more of an attacking threat than Mee provided, your fans I imagine are thinking of stopping Gray but in my opinion Ward (and to a lesser extent Lowton) is the one to stop to limit chances.  Keane has been fantastic so far.  Mee prefers the centre back role and has had some really good games, his lack of height is the only concern for me in central defence but he’s got a good leap so it’s not been a problem so far – he dealt with Murphy of Ipswich very well.

In midfield we have two natural central mids now, as opposed to playing a winger in there as we did at the iPro.  It’ll be either Jones and Barton or Marney and Barton – I’m hoping for Jones and Barton personally because they keep possession better.  Barton will probably pick up a booking but on reputation alone.  He’s not shown any indication of that mental streak he’s known for, he’s actually been the epitome of calm and composure (famous last words).  We don’t bypass the midfield as many seem to assume but we are more about distributing it wide through them rather than passing through the middle of the park.

Arfield and Boyd will be the wingers I imagine.  Jury is still out on Boyd this season with many fans preferring Kightly but his performance (and goal) against Brentford will likely have kept him in it.  Arfield and Boyd are more your cutting-inside kind of winger than getting-to-the-byline which allows Lowton & Ward to bomb on, if they’re pegged back then you’ve cut out a good proportion of our threat.  Both wingers are capable of a worldie given some space, Arfield more than Boyd.

Gray and Vokes will be the strikers (barring fitness concerns) and they now have more of an understanding.  Despite Vokes’ aerial threat we don’t lump it long as often as we did earlier in the season.  You’re just as likely to see balls into Gray’s feet with his back to the goal and he’ll try to roll your defenders – Gray’s obvious threat is his pace but his strength is probably his best quality, I don’t think he’ll struggle for physicality against Shackell or Keogh.  Gray’s weakness is that he often needs about 3 chances to put 1 away.  Vokes is just about getting back to match sharpness from the cruciate injury he suffered near the end of the 13/14 season and despite his size he’s more of a goal threat with his feet than in the air.  That said his height is handy for the target man play.

Pin your hopes on stopping Gray at your peril, we’re not a one man team.  Despite using fewer players than any other club in the league we’ve had 12 different scorers (compared to your 11) and Gray has scored only 1 of our last 10 goals.

I don’t make score predictions because they always bite me on the backside.  Form book says a win, I’d be happy with a draw, a defeat would be very damaging.  With yourselves, Boro and Hull to play at home our automatics chances are in our hands, lose any of those three and we put ourselves under pressure.

Excellent post. Thanks for the effort mate. Chances are we will be meeting in the Play Offs.

5 minutes ago, North_Stand_Ram said:

Chrissy Martin to do the business tonight.

Hopefully but I can't bring myself to call him Chrissy. It's a girl's name. There's only one Chrissy and she was the lead singer with the Pretenders :)

Ever the optimist I have a strange feeling about tonight. Think we might discover some steel in our belly and win. 

Think / Hope Carson will start but if it's Granty then no probs for me. With the influx of players and Johnson off song I can't predict the line up. I'd love us to try 442 or 4411 but I don't think it will happen. I would love Razza to start because I think he has the ability to scare the pants off his opposite number, something I love to see. Grumpy that Bent wasn't on the Bench last time out. He has proven ability and in a difficult game like this has something to offer at some point. Guile and a the ability to smell the goal. 

above all I want to see players and a set up that gives some service to our front men. We have midfielders with the ability to do it but it just hasn't happened in the last few games so I don't blame CM or anyone else up front when they just haven't had any ammunition. 2 hours to go. COYR 

55 minutes ago, Alan Ramage 4 EVA said:

What about Chrissie Todd "Boys from the black stuff"

Ah but he was a character and not real so doesn't count

A game we really cannot afford to lose -confidence will be shot as a result.

I would be happy with a 0-1 result - a nice header from Shacks and he runs past gravelly voice showing him the finger!:whistle:

Sky sport 1 is on and ready & I got my Fursty Ferret in :)

Archived