Pace

YorkshireRam

Interesting that Paul Clement specifically mentioned in his interview regarding the signings of Camara and Blackman, that one of the attributes we were specifically after in our new recruits was pace.

We've seen how lethal pace can be in a team especially when on the counter attack. Brighton used it very effectively against us, as did Boro, specifically their second goal. Clement also highlighted that we already have the ''technicians'' in our squad but implied that we lacked pace, now since neither Russell nor Ince are particularly slow, this could mean that we see a change of footballing system being player or it implies Martin isn't as important to the team anymore and he may see less game time.

Do we think that adding pace with our new signings is going to be evolution or revolution to the style and system of football we play?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evolution, more than revolution. The modern game is all about having pace spread around your team. Will help Martin out no end to have faster runners as well. 

6 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

Pace is important but so is end product, otherwise Daley Thompson and Darren Campbell would have had much more successful football careers!

Tell that to Shaun Wright-Phillips, Theo Walcott, Aaron Lennon, and pretty much anyone who's played RW for England in the last decade! Absolutely zero end product.

Think it's not so much about revolution or dramatic change, as making sure we have the options needed to beat different teams. A number of teams have clearly set up to stop specific players from playing, be they Chris Martin, Tom Ince, Thorne... the list goes on, and they've been doing it since the start of last season.

My view is that the two signings are basically to make sure that all manner of opposition can be scored against by our squad, no matter how negative they choose to go. Horses for courses.

It's not pace that was/has been the problem, it's tempo. The new signings can obviously have an impact but it's up to Thorne, Butterfield, Johnson and Hendrick for the tempo to pick up. Time and again they can make a forward pass or move forward or move the ball quicker and they don't. It's really the only thing missing this season. 

See, I disagree completely. But Clement knows what he wants and he's forgotten more than I know.

But Weimann is rapid. Russell is very,  Cyrus is very quick, Ince is quick, Bent is quick. 

IF pace is so key then why haven't clubs got loads of athletic African defenders. Watch the ACON. The tactical side of the game is horrific but there's some great athletes and good footballers. Just the team shapes and decision making is not of the highest standard.

Because in the final third, especially for a team that's expected to break down defences, it's decision making. It's getting your chin off your chest. Not being sent packing down the wing by a defender.

I don't know if the players we've signed have more than Weimann does. But if they're just fast then does that mean they'll run the wrong way quicker? Run the ball out of play with more enthusiasm? 

We need players like Ince. Bit more Ince. Players who can bring Martin into play, who can play through organised defences because you can't run through them often.  

I think Butterfield has embarrassed Weimann and Russell when he's gone out wide and carried the ball where HE wants to go, picked out players in good positions with nice passes. 

But if Russell sprints past someone and smashes it at a defender and we win a corner... The crowd go crazy. I call that perfect defending. Send him down the wing and cover the near post. His chances of finding Martin are slim. 

A strikeforce of Tyson and Robinson should be a defenders nightmare by UK football traditions. Jesus Navas would play ahead of David Silva. 

I just hope these lads are smarter footballers than what we have. 

37 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Tell that to Shaun Wright-Phillips, Theo Walcott, Aaron Lennon, and pretty much anyone who's played RW for England in the last decade! Absolutely zero end product.

In fairness, Theo looks to be finally getting end product into his game. 

1 hour ago, cosmic said:

That's why I always wanted David Bentley to turn out alright. At least he knew/knows how to cross a ball.

I agree with Alpha but at the same time I do think it's important that the two playing either side of Martin have a bit of pace, as well as stamina. For wide players in a 4-4-2 I don't think it's quite as necessary. But in our 4-4-3 they need to cover a lot of ground quite quickly to help out their fullback and support Martin as strikers, getting into the box for crosses, as well as traditional wing play. So pace is not just required to take players on and run past them, but to keep up with play and be where the team needs them to be I'd say it's fairly important for the formation to work properly. The things you do in that position are quite varied - must be a fun position to play if you don't mind defending and plenty of running.

That's one of the reasons I'm always a bit bemused when people suggest playing Bradley Johnson there, which happens on here quite a lot. And I don't think buying a soon to be 30 year old McCormack to play that position would have been a good idea either, as superb as he is.

Hopefully, as it doesn't seem like pace is the issue to me but who am I to say, the only badge I've got is from working at a Crown Cavery pub. 

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out, whilst pace is a great asset to have we also need people creating chances which has been the biggest downfall in recent weeks. We played Bent up at Leeds and didn't give him a sniff which is odd as he needs it on a plate. Martin's been short of service too which hasn't helped. 

Thankfully for us everybody else is chipping in. 

Pace and sprint speed are different things.

Russell and Weimann are rapid sprinters, but pretty slow dribblers - especially the latter.

We need faster dribblers, and players who can get closer to Martin. Been thinking all season that Russell and Weimann are answers to a different question to the one we're asking now Clement's in charge.

4 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Hopefully, as it doesn't seem like pace is the issue to me but who am I to say, the only badge I've got is from working at a Crown Cavery pub. 

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out, whilst pace is a great asset to have we also need people creating chances which has been the biggest downfall in recent weeks. We played Bent up at Leeds and didn't give him a sniff which is odd as he needs it on a plate. Martin's been short of service too which hasn't helped. 

Thankfully for us everybody else is chipping in. 

You've been working at the carvery so long, it's entered your subconscious! 

2 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Pace and sprint speed are different things.

Russell and Weimann are rapid sprinters, but pretty slow dribblers - especially the latter.

We need faster dribblers, and players who can get closer to Martin. Been thinking all season that Russell and Weimann are answers to a different question to the one we're asking now Clement's in charge.

Weimann might be slow dribbler, but Russell doesn't dribble at all! He just tries to run past defender, lately without success.

I think when clement says he wants pace he wants pace and directness, ince isn't slow he's quick, but not direct and quick, he can run fast but he doesn't like to knock the ball past his opponent, he'd rather stand at them do a few step overs and wait for an oncoming overlap killing our counter whereas Blackman is more likely just to charge with brute strength, no they may not be technically the best but sometimes when you try and tippy tap your way through you've just got to batter at them.

look at Leicester, best counter attacking team in the country, one key reason is Vardy, not technically proficient, doesn't dribble past defenders he just runs and causes havoc at the defence, sometimes you need players who are going to just run and bulldoze their way through

4 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

You've been working at the carvery so long, it's entered your subconscious! 

Class work therer RD, thankfully for me it was only an 8 month stint 8 years ago but yeah, seems to have rubbed off on me!

Archived