Pace

YorkshireRam

1 hour ago, Kennington Ram said:

Think it's not so much about revolution or dramatic change, as making sure we have the options needed to beat different teams. A number of teams have clearly set up to stop specific players from playing, be they Chris Martin, Tom Ince, Thorne... the list goes on, and they've been doing it since the start of last season.

My view is that the two signings are basically to make sure that all manner of opposition can be scored against by our squad, no matter how negative they choose to go. Horses for courses.

Totally agree KR

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Class work therer RD, thankfully for me it was only an 8 month stint 8 years ago but yeah, seems to have rubbed off on me!

Did you go through cold turkey when you left? You must have been cut up about it. MT

1 hour ago, cosmic said:

Tell that to Shaun Wright-Phillips, Theo Walcott, Aaron Lennon, and pretty much anyone who's played RW for England in the last decade! Absolutely zero end product.

Walcott consistently scores a goal every 4 or 5 games for club and country, and creates a fair few. I'll give you the other two, but not Walcott.

2 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

Interesting that Paul Clement specifically mentioned in his interview regarding the signings of Camara and Blackman, that one of the attributes we were specifically after in our new recruits was pace.

We've seen how lethal pace can be in a team especially when on the counter attack. Brighton used it very effectively against us, as did Boro, specifically their second goal. Clement also highlighted that we already have the ''technicians'' in our squad but implied that we lacked pace, now since neither Russell nor Ince are particularly slow, this could mean that we see a change of footballing system being player or it implies Martin isn't as important to the team anymore and he may see less game time.

Do we think that adding pace with our new signings is going to be evolution or revolution to the style and system of football we play?

Evolution. The 1st goal against Hull is one example where the pace (weimann) and the technicians (Martin and Butterfield) worked really well. Very good on the counter.

16 minutes ago, eddie said:

Walcott consistently scores a goal every 4 or 5 games for club and country, and creates a fair few. I'll give you the other two, but not Walcott.

Anyone who scores in a rare rare victory over Sweden so I can sit and look at sour mugs all the way home on the train while feeling oh so smug inside is an England hero to me. I'd let him marry my daughter if I had one. Oh Theo, Andy Carroll and Danny Welbeck..you lovely lovely lovely lads. 

PistoldPete2
2 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

Interesting that Paul Clement specifically mentioned in his interview regarding the signings of Camara and Blackman, that one of the attributes we were specifically after in our new recruits was pace.

We've seen how lethal pace can be in a team especially when on the counter attack. Brighton used it very effectively against us, as did Boro, specifically their second goal. Clement also highlighted that we already have the ''technicians'' in our squad but implied that we lacked pace, now since neither Russell nor Ince are particularly slow, this could mean that we see a change of footballing system being player or it implies Martin isn't as important to the team anymore and he may see less game time.

Do we think that adding pace with our new signings is going to be evolution or revolution to the style and system of football we play?

Well weimann is no slouch either , and bent is still quick altho maybe lost a yard of pace. Maybe not that much pace in midfield. 

35 minutes ago, Jean Antoine Tessier said:

Evolution. The 1st goal against Hull is one example where the pace (weimann) and the technicians (Martin and Butterfield) worked really well. Very good on the counter.

It hasn't happened enough, we don't actually score that many goals on the counter, we tend to rely on our technical ability quite a lot to score goals. Having Camara and Blackman, who by all accounts are more direct gives us an extra attacking threat. If Blackman is played as an out and out striker, that changes our style of play drastically, whether Martin is also playing or not as he won't be playing with his back to goal.

Not sure whether that's a good or a bad thing yet as Martin has certiainly been faltering for a while now

2 hours ago, SaintRam said:

In fairness, Theo looks to be finally getting end product into his game. 

44 minutes ago, eddie said:

Yeah fair enough. The fact he's managed to stay in the squad this long where others haven't is testament to his ability. Earlier in his career he was definitely guilty of having no end product, but you tend to forget he was still only 17 when he got his first call-up. He was still learning his trade. Now he's developed as a player there's no doubt he's a level above the likes of SWP and Lennon. 

Archived