Pace

YorkshireRam

1 hour ago, JoeDerby said:

Nick Blackman -

"This season they (Reading) have played me through the middle and I have shown them what I can do," said Blackman.

"I think I am best down the middle, as a number nine, but I will play anywhere the manager asks me to play."

His most prolific season and he hasn't scored a goal from down the middle?

Go and have a look on YouTube at a compilation of the goals he's scored this season. Pay special attention to where he is on the pitch where he gets the ball.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Kernow said:

Go and have a look on YouTube at a compilation of the goals he's scored this season. Pay special attention to where he is on the pitch where he gets the ball.

In the modern day of the internet and stats, we don't have to take players words for it any more. He's been average at best down the middle :lol:

1 hour ago, JoeDerby said:

why have we just brought in a 2.5 million pound striker? one of them is going to miss out. If you believe everything that is said to the public, you are crazy!! I am sure every manager has said they have 'The best striker in the league' at some point. if he was that good we wouldn't be buying a striker

He gives us more options and more cover. £2.5million doesn't mean he'll start ahead of Martin.

Even though Martin cost us nothing he's worth about 3-4 times more than Blackman's fee. So you'd ask yourself a striker worth £2.5m or a striker worth £8-10million, who starts?

If we signed a £2.5million midfielder would he then get in ahead of a fit Will Hughes who cost us nothing?

1 minute ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

All our wide forwards say they're best down the middle.

All wide players say it. It's really strange haha. Although I do believe it's true with Weimann

3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

In the modern day of the internet and stats, we don't have to take players words for it any more. He's been average at best down the middle :lol:

Exactly, he may say he's best down the middle but is he? He's played down the middle and had disappointing stats to say the least. Then when he's played wide with more space and able to cut inside or take on full backs he's actually doing well. His best position will be where PC tells him it is not where he would like to play most.

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

He gives us more options and more cover. £2.5million doesn't mean he'll start ahead of Martin.

Even though Martin cost us nothing he's worth about 3-4 times more than Blackman's fee. So you'd ask yourself a striker worth £2.5m or a striker worth £8-10million, who starts?

If we signed a £2.5million midfielder would he then get in ahead of a fit Will Hughes who cost us nothing?

I do think form comes into the equation, if you have an £8 million striker out of form but also in a £2.5 million inform striker, who's starts the striker who is out of form? [I am not implying that martin is out of form here], mainly form maybe comes into it - as mush as their value?

It's trickery at speed. We have quick players as others have said but it's that ability to control the ball at pace that is the real deal. Russell and Weiman are pacy exciting players but when they are on their limit the deftness of touch fades a little. Butterfield is 5% slower than either of those two but at his maximum his touch is 5% better. The great wingers have pace and touch when stretched. 

Archived