Nick Blackman

SaintRam

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing quite a bit of formation talk going on, doesn't make any sense to me. We're 2nd in the league playing a system that works, ok we're not as fluid and attacking as we were under McClaren and yes we lost to Boro but we're pretty solid at the moment in a comfortable position. 

See no reason at all to start playing around with formations. 

46 minutes ago, Daveo said:

Seeing quite a bit of formation talk going on, doesn't make any sense to me. We're 2nd in the league playing a system that works, ok we're not as fluid and attacking as we were under McClaren and yes we lost to Boro but we're pretty solid at the moment in a comfortable position. 

I've got no problem with trying to increase our attacking threat by changing the formation as long as we have the usually solid back 4 with Thorne defending in front of it.

1 hour ago, Daveo said:

There seems to be an assumption with some that we are just adding to the squad. There is of course a possibility that one or two will be moved on to other clubs.

1 hour ago, Daveo said:

I totally agree, he tried different systems at the start, it didn't really work, we are 2nd in the league and in a very good position, why would he then start trying new systems again it wouldn't make sense. We needed a few more attacking options and we have added that. Didn't Clement say he made a mistake changing it while playing boro as we looked comfortable playing 433. 

9 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

I just hope he is better than his goalscoring record reflects....the last thing we need is another average striker with an average strike rate.... 

Chris Martin had a 1 in 4 strike rate before coming to us. Blackman's isn't too dissimilar. If he fits our style of play, and develops some, like CM has, then who knows what he might do.

23 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

Chris Martin had a 1 in 4 strike rate before coming to us. Blackman's isn't too dissimilar. If he fits our style of play, and develops some, like CM has, then who knows what he might do.

His strike rate over his career is rubbish, 1 in 5 ish and if you took away this seasons it would be appalling, admittedly I know nothing about him at all other than he scored a bunch of goals this season but before that scored 3 in 37 games last season..... lets see how he goes....fingers crossed.

His ability to play on both wings makes him very good option to have. I'm not sure how good he is with his head, but such height against tiny fullback gives Clement one very good tactical option. Hopefully he is at least decent...

One of my personal favourite tactics, I used to use it quite a lot when managing. Put your best header on the wing against smaller fullbacks and surround him with runners. Much more effective than playing with normal target man who wrestles against those Championship brickwalls.

9 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

His ability to play on both wings makes him very good option to have. I'm not sure how good he is with his head, but such height against tiny fullback gives Clement one very good tactical option. Hopefully he is at least decent...

One of my personal favourite tactics, I used to use it quite a lot when managing. Put your best header on the wing against smaller fullbacks and surround him with runners. Much more effective than playing with normal target man who wrestles against those Championship brickwalls.

Didn't we do that last season by using Forsyth? Grant always used to punt to him.

42 minutes ago, valleyram said:

and I'm surprised too , saw him in Scotland and he was average at best , that's not to say hes not improved but he would have to to get a game with this derby team

glad your using a recent view of the player to base your judgement, He left Aberdeen 5 years ago - a lot can change in two years (just look at our starting line ups and current form of players that were starting and impressing just two years ago)

1 minute ago, davenportram said:

glad your using a recent view of the player to base your judgement, He left Aberdeen 5 years ago - a lot can change in two years (just look at our starting line ups and current form of players that were starting and impressing just two years ago)

yip our 2 best players been injured from day 1 , so your point is ?

2 minutes ago, valleyram said:

yip our 2 best players been injured from day 1 , so your point is ?

My point is two years ago we had players that were performing a lot better than they are now or were for last season (when they were fit) not just talking about this season.

You have made a judgement about Blackman based on watching him FIVE years ago - pretty pointless and irrelevant given how players can develop and form change in such a huge timescale - let alone the boom fluke season some players seem to have.

Archived