Leeds United v Derby County

Day

If Bent ever had it, he hasn't got it now. He had a golden chance in the 2nd half with a great 1st touch from a difficult to deal with long ball, but rather than muscle his way to get a shot off, went down looking for a penalty holding his bottom lip like he'd been tatted by Tyson Fury, and clearly the slow-mo shown no contact made. Apt really with a name like Bent! Martin over him any time, but neither would make it in the Prem. So, if that's the case, throw your 15 million at an out and out quality striker in the Jan window and stop the debate in its tracks....... Just saying!

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, The Arch Deacon said:

If Bent ever had it, he hasn't got it now. He had a golden chance in the 2nd half with a great 1st touch from a difficult to deal with long ball, but rather than muscle his way to get a shot off, went down looking for a penalty holding his bottom lip like he'd been tatted by Tyson Fury, and clearly the slow-mo shown no contact made. Apt really with a name like Bent! Martin over him any time, but neither would make it in the Prem. So, if that's the case, throw your 15 million at an out and out quality striker in the Jan window and stop the debate in its tracks....... Just saying!

What makes you think Martin couldn't make it in the Premier League? Is Glenn Murray really any better? They are very similar players with similar attributes.

As for Bent I agree. The only decent things he has in his locker is pace, awareness and finishing. But now two of those are on the decline, he really offers very little unless it's on a plate for him.

10 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

What makes you think Martin couldn't make it in the Premier League? Is Glenn Murray really any better? They are very similar players with similar attributes.

As for Bent I agree. The only decent things he has in his locker is pace, awareness and finishing. But now two of those are on the decline, he really offers very little unless it's on a plate for him.

10 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Having seen our recent forays in the PL over recent years, the one position we struggled with was "the" striker. Lack of goals did for us each time we came down. Last season we played some fantastic football. Best I've ever seen. Brought in some real quality, but never did get a proper goal scorer. And as good as the football was, if you don't stick it in the back of the net, you're fecked! And believe me the defences in the PL are several levels better than the Championship. That's why they're there. Jelavic, Sagbo, Aluko, all looked good on paper, but just couldn't hack. Look at Hernandez for us. Couldn't score in a brothel in the PL, total sh**e. But finding it much easier this season. Why do you reckon that is? Sad as it is, some just can't make the step up. For me, Martin's a great Championship front man, as is Hernandez, but neither will cut it in the PL. it's just the way it is. If you have the Monet to spend in the Jan window, throw it all at that position, cos to me you have every other position covered.

How on earth are Keogh, Hendrick and Martin getting any stick when Weimann has been nothing short of woeful recently. His performance tonight was shocking. Doesn't look like scoring, doesn't look like creating, didn't do anything and he cost £2.5 million!!

Keogh was superb tonight IMO and only a world class cross after Warnock jumped in (Otherwise Warnick was excellent again) beat him.

Hendrick was decent. A lovely goal, decent battling and carried the ball forward.

Martin held the ball well when he came on, but crucially put himself in positions to hold the ball.

Bent needs someone up with him. Simples.

Bent deserved a start but when we play balls over his head time and time again what's the point? 

We just don't play to Bents strengths and we certainly don't create enough for him so why bother. 

At least Martin holds it up a bit. Martins runs are far more intelligent to how we're set up too. 

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Weimann's one was the one that got me, just before half-time.

He didn't even have the nous to win an easy penalty and possible GK red card that most other players in the Championship would have won. 

Actually, i quite like the fact that he didn't dive and cheat.

Just shows how the game has changed.

2 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Actually, i quite like the fact that he didn't dive and cheat.

Just shows how the game has changed.

He didn't need to dive and cheat, but by knocking it forward a little further and continuing his run he would have drawn the foul and a guaranteed penalty.

Instead, he literally did nothing and bottled the situation.

Not the worse result not the best either, especially as we created enough chances to win it. I do feel that we have a team of battlers now and if it gets scrappy we can  give it back. Last season we were weak and got bullied ,not this season. I somewhat knew as soon as shackell went off we would get nervy and edgy. grant for sure cost us that game and I don't like to slate our players but he has to do the basics in that position, still don't understand what he was trying to do. Overall a decent performance and butterfield was on another level tonight, he is quite simply a fantastic footballer. Roll on Boro.

Where has Pearce gone?

Didnt we take reading's first choice cb and captain?

and yet we bring on the liability that is shotton?

what the hell are we paying pearce for!?

Fyi granty doesnt make that awful mistake for the first if shacks was there. it was shotton tripping over his own feet in the box which made granty panic

Having watched the first Leeds goal again, I don't understand why Grant palmed the ball to an area he couldn't see, when there were no Leeds players in front of him. Surely it would have made more sense to put it in the opposite direction where he had some visibility and no threat.

25 minutes ago, DerbyRam! said:

Where has Pearce gone?

Didnt we take reading's first choice cb and captain?

and yet we bring on the liability that is shotton?

what the hell are we paying pearce for!?

Fyi granty doesnt make that awful mistake for the first if shacks was there. it was shotton tripping over his own feet in the box which made granty panic

PC's decisions have mostly been good ones, so you have to trust that shotton is the better choice right now. Im not a big fan of shotton myself but i think its unfair to blame him for grants decision making there. Grant made 3 bad decisions in a few seconds and it led to a goal, it happens though and he has done ok since he came back in for carson. Everyone applauds carson but hes not immune to mistakes either, cant recall the game now but him punching it and going over his head and would have been a goal if it hadnt been cleared off the line by (weiman i think?).

45 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

PC's decisions have mostly been good ones, so you have to trust that shotton is the better choice right now. Im not a big fan of shotton myself but i think its unfair to blame him for grants decision making there. Grant made 3 bad decisions in a few seconds and it led to a goal, it happens though and he has done ok since he came back in for carson. Everyone applauds carson but hes not immune to mistakes either, cant recall the game now but him punching it and going over his head and would have been a goal if it hadnt been cleared off the line by (weiman i think?).

Was it the brum game? 

Having slept on it and seeing the Brighton result,I'm happy with a point.At 1-1 with 55 mins gone I was thinking we should bring Thorne on and save the point.Could only see Leeds scoring at that stage.So to go behind on 75 mins and Still come back was a point well earned.Bit lacklustre tonight once we'd gone 1-0 up,as if we expected them to roll over.We're struggling to put a 90 minute performance together, but every so often we produce a bit of quality which is too much for other championship sides.Still confident we can finish in top 2,BUT we need same commitment for every game,luck with injuries, and new left back,wide player & striker in January, whilst keeping our best player's!!

Grant 5/10 Cost us a goal,but did nothing else wrong.Only a 5 though because of importance of very bad mistake

Christie 6/10 Subdued performance, looked the most tired of all the players on the pitch

Warnock 7/10 Speed of the throw in being taken caught him out for 2nd goal as he'd switched off slightly but apart from that,another solid defensive game.Need left back cover though in January for resting his legs

Shackell 8/10 Usual superb self till injury.Twisted his ankle so hopefully not ligaments etc.Would be a massive miss for Boro

Keogh 9/10 I've been his biggest critic because of his lack of concentration and mistakes but last night he was fantastic. 2nd goal he lost Wood,but that more to do with quality of cross plus Christie not covering around

Johnson 7/10 Not his best game passing wise but what a battler.Been missing this type of player since Seth

Hendrick 7/10 Lovely goal (if he meant it ??),but not involved enough

Butterfield 7/10 Great on the ball but stood too far up field for most of the game so again,not involved enough

Russell 7/10 Back on form.Stopped running into opponents. Looked dangerous

Weimman 5/10 Very unproductive night.Biggest disappointment of all the summer Transfer's

Bent 5/10 Pace stretches defence but plays on the half turn all the time so impossible to run off him.Can't hold the ball up for midfield to join him.Doesn't look like he believes he will score a goal. Need reinforcements in January

Subs

Shotton 6/10 Decent defender but liability with the ball at his feet

Martin 7/10 Midfield looked a lot better with him on the pitch

Ince 8/10 Confident player now.Need to find a way of playing him in behind Martin regularly. Take defensive duties off him and let him roam,and he will win us promotion

1 hour ago, admira said:

Having watched the first Leeds goal again, I don't understand why Grant palmed the ball to an area he couldn't see, when there were no Leeds players in front of him. Surely it would have made more sense to put it in the opposite direction where he had some visibility and no threat.

Correct. Its called panic or , more sympathetically, loss of composure.

Not a great trait to have in a goalie.

On reflection, all the teams at the top show signs of tiring, except perhaps for Boro, who appear to be a bit better than us. We have managed to pick up points without playing at our best whilst other teams, Brighton, Hull and Burnley have been dropping points more regularly than us. 44 points from 19 games is a fantastic return.We can only be grateful that we are where we are after an indifferent start. I think that Boro is a game that we can now afford to lose if push comes to shove because of the lead that we have on third place, which is a little unexpected. 24 games and only 2 defeats is amazing really. I would buy four players at Xmas. It was clear to me that Shackell is POTS so far as the defence is clearly marshalled by him and his expertise influences other players profoundly. The second goal was a goal from last season where we were not back in shape. Keogh was on the right side of Woods but if he had stayed with him, he would have easily cleared the ball with his chest or feet. Thorne is also irreplacable, enough said. Ince is the difference at times. I would take the captaincy off Martin and give it to Shackell now. we should give it all that we have at Boro and play it like a Champions League away game where we need a draw to go through. I would be ruthless and sign a centre forward, McCormack if we can get him, a left back, a goalkeeper (if Carson might be a long term or recurring injury) and a winger who can regularly cross a ball accurately.

5 minutes ago, Rampage said:

On reflection, all the teams at the top show signs of tiring, except perhaps for Boro, who appear to be a bit better than us. We have managed to pick up points without playing at our best whilst other teams, Brighton, Hull and Burnley have been dropping points more regularly than us. 44 points from 19 games is a fantastic return.We can only be grateful that we are where we are after an indifferent start. I think that Boro is a game that we can now afford to lose if push comes to shove because of the lead that we have on third place, which is a little unexpected. 24 games and only 2 defeats is amazing really. I would buy four players at Xmas. It was clear to me that Shackell is POTS so far as the defence is clearly marshalled by him and his expertise influences other players profoundly. The second goal was a goal from last season where we were not back in shape. Keogh was on the right side of Woods but if he had stayed with him, he would have easily cleared the ball with his chest or feet. Thorne is also irreplacable, enough said. Ince is the difference at times. I would take the captaincy off Martin and give it to Shackell now. we should give it all that we have at Boro and play it like a Champions League away game where we need a draw to go through. I would be ruthless and sign a centre forward, McCormack if we can get him, a left back, a goalkeeper (if Carson might be a long term or recurring injury) and a winger who can regularly cross a ball accurately.

I'm surprised we're second with all those things being wrong :p

Archived