Leeds United v Derby County

Day

8 minutes ago, dcfc_ryan said:

I thought we deserved the win. Martin and Ince were brilliant when they came on and we almost won the game because of them.

Things I learnt from the game... Carson, Shackell, Thorne, Ince and Martin must start every game if fit! 

You missed Keogh and Butterfield

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, toddy said:

We were never in control in any part of that game tonight. We looked very vulnerable at the back once Shacks went off, not forgetting we are playing a mid table side!

Did we really tested the keeper until Martin & Ince came on.

We got a point but looked like a mid table side ourselves tonight, man of the match, Shacks, Martin or Ince?

Thankfully we weren't playing boro, only hope our performance does improve, weren't that impressive against Fulham nor tonight.

I would like to hear Paul's assessment of the performance.

We were in entire control until Grant's error. And for a period of the second half. Leeds 2nd came somewhat against the run of play and then we began to look slightly vulnerable. 

Dunno about testing their keeper but we had chances. Weimann for starters should have done better when put through. 

What game would you compare this to, out of interest. Which games are the games that make that performance look like a midtable display?

7 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

It was poor by grant but to be fair he was unlucky with the first punch which bounced off someone's shoulder. The second one he was backtracking and really could have left it because there were three defenders on the line. Maybe someone should have shouted. Just one of those things. I agree shackell was a big miss and if he hadn't gone off I think we would have won. Two quality goals but I do worry about weimannn and bent who don't give us enough. I think we need to strengthen up front in the January window. And make sure shackell doesn't get injured. 

Yes. I will be shocked if we don't get one forward in. Martin hasn't scored in 9. That can't continue, if he hasn't returned to bagging goals by the end of Jan then we have to look at someone to effectively replace him. Right now the rest of the team is scoring goals and he has been involved in a couple, but he isn't doing it for us. Thinking about it I am not surprised he did not start. Last time he faced Bamba he looked like a lost child. Ince is in the goals again. But he and Martin need to be bagging them from now on. Go on and get 20 between themselves. 

1 minute ago, Jean Antoine Tessier said:

2-2 as predicted! Still think we'll get 7 points out of the three games though.

Good decision to use the squad tonight, had it not have been for Grant's flap we would have won that game comfortably.

However having gone a goal behind in the 75th minute I'm pretty pleased with the point.

Back to normal on Saturday though with Martin, Thorne and Ince back in the squad. On tonight's performance I'd be tempted to stick with Butters and Hendrick but as we're going to have a battle on our hands it'll be best if Hendrick drops back out.

Unfair comments about Keogh on the radio. Neither goal was his fault. Warnock let Byram past way too easily, everyone moved across other than Christie who should have given Wood a challenge for the ball.

Three points on Saturday!

Think Johnson was at fault more for their second as he didn't switch on to the throw quick enough.

But it was a good goal tbf. Quick thinking caught the whole team out a bit. Great cross. 

Just now, Uptherams said:

Yes. I will be shocked if we don't get one forward in. Martin hasn't scored in 9. That can't continue, if he hasn't returned to bagging goals by the end of Jan then we have to look at someone to effectively replace him. Right now the rest of the team is scoring goals and he has been involved in a couple, but he isn't doing it for us. Thinking about it I am not surprised he did not start. Last time he faced Bamba he looked like a lost child. Ince is in the goals again. But he and Martin need to be bagging them from now on. Go on and get 20 between themselves. 

Martin doesn't need to score to affective, he is such a key player to how we play that it would so stupid to replace him. It would be like Arsenal replacing Ozil because he doesn't score enough. 

17 minutes ago, North_Stand_Ram said:

Butterfield, Christie and Warnock were brilliant. Weimann, Grant, Hendrick and Johnson were shocking 

Christie was not brilliant - it was a below average performance for him. I thought he looked a little more uncomfortable on the ball this evening and gave it away a few too many times.

Johnson did ok playing the holding role. He allowed Butters and Hendrick to push on!

How can you say Hendrick was shocking?

I'm very grateful to those on here giving good advice on how I should support

the team,and for the useful suggestions on other teams I could support instead.

Also its very encouraging to be told what a great position we are in,compared

to other teams, and this makes us massive favourites for promotion,so whats to

worry about?

The trouble I have is that feeling that I've heard all this before, the confidence

and the complacency and any criticism is not welcome and negative. Then come

the recriminations when once again we fail at the last hurdle Some people learn

and some never will.

Just now, Alpha said:

Think Johnson was at fault more for their second as he didn't switch on to the throw quick enough.

But it was a good goal tbf. Quick thinking caught the whole team out a bit. Great cross. 

That's true he was asleep but Warnock misread the pass and never recovered. So arguably they both fell asleep.

It was a great ball in, something we've not done much this season.

I know sometimes we need to rest players and at home against the likes of Bristol City is the time to do that, not away at in-form Leeds. 

I think Clement got this selection wrong tonight and I was screaming at the TV to swap Weimann for Ince. He did and look what happened. 

The injury to Shacks is more disappointing than the result. That's Shackell, Carson, Forsyth, Bryson and Hughes now. Hopefully he isn't out for long. I'd certainly put Pearce in Saturday if Shackell is out. The guy must be chomping at the bit to play and prove himself.  Tonight? Not even on the bench. 

So onto Boro. Yes it looks difficult but we should take heart in lwhat happened the last time we played the league leaders away. 

1 minute ago, Inglorius said:

Not sure about the abuse directed at Grant fair enough he made a mistake but every goal that gets conceded in the Championship is the result of a mistake by the opposition. 

He did flap at it twice though! But got to move on from it now!

1 minute ago, top 6 finish said:

I'm very grateful to those on here giving good advice on how I should support

the team,and for the useful suggestions on other teams I could support instead.

Also its very encouraging to be told what a great position we are in,compared

to other teams, and this makes us massive favourites for promotion,so whats to

worry about?

The trouble I have is that feeling that I've heard all this before, the confidence

and the complacency and any criticism is not welcome and negative. Then come

the recriminations when once again we fail at the last hurdle Some people learn

and some never will.

Do you type like you're on a type-writer?! You know you don't have to hit RETURN every time you want a new line.

Im not going to tell you how to support our club, but I'm definitely going to advise you on how best to post a comment without it being a pain in the arse to read. 

1 minute ago, admira said:

I know sometimes we need to rest players and against the likes of Bristol City is the time to do that, not away at in-form Leeds. 

I think Clement got this selection wrong tonight and I was screaming at the TV to swap Weimann for Ince. He did and look what happened. 

The injury to Shacks is more disappointing than the result. That's Shackell, Carson, Forsyth, Bryson and Hughes now. Hopefully he isn't out for long. I'd certain ally put Pearce in Saturday if Shackell is out. The guy must be chomping at the bit to play and prove himself.  Tonight? Not even on the bench. 

So onto Boro. Yes it looks difficult but we should take heart in lwhat happened the last time we played the league leaders away. 

The starting lineup was good enough to win that game! The selection was fine. What's the point in having this squad if you don't use them!

Agree the injury is more disappointing but i'd be confident in Pearce coming in and doing the job, more so than Shotton. I think with Baird and Thorne on the bench he should have had Pearce on the bench.

Three points on Saturday!

How come we didn't smash Blackburn when we sent out our strongest team?

Cruising at 1-0 with the wrong team out

Blaming the team selection is as easy as blaming effort and passion. 

One of our most limp performances of the season was Sheff Wednesday. Thorne, Martin, Ince...

Just now, TheDeadlySaul said:

Martin doesn't need to score to affective, he is such a key player to how we play that it would so stupid to replace him. It would be like Arsenal replacing Ozil because he doesn't score enough. 

But he hasn't been. The last 9 games he hasn't done much of anything. That does need to change. He needs to start scoring again and get stuck in a bit more. He did more tonight than he has in almost a third of some of those 9 games. He's got until the end of Jan to do this and he can do this. At that point we are far too close to the finish line to say well it's alright if things haven't changed. It isn't like replacing Ozil at all. Because Ozil hasn't dipped out of form. He hasn't stopped getting assists. 

3 minutes ago, Jean Antoine Tessier said:

He did flap at it twice though! But got to move on from it now!

Agreed if you didn't know the match we were playing tonight you'd have thought Grants mistake had cost us the play off final. If we dont go up his season it won't be because of Grants mistake tonight. 

Archived