Callum O'Dowda - Confirmed to Bristol City

Srg

12 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Since when was £10,000 a week a lot of money for a football player's wages. He is either a future star or he is not. If he is, then get him. All down to judgement at the end of the day. I remember them talking about Deli Ali. If you know in advance, they cost even more cash. SAS - he who dares wins. Easier to get it wrong than right.

Have to consider the effect onto the team and future buys however. If you offer a youth player 10k per week, then it will create the situation that other youth players will want 10k. Same with any level of a team. If you show you're willing to pay a large amount on wages, then the existing players will demand more 

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Rampage said:

Since when was £10,000 a week a lot of money for a football player's wages. He is either a future star or he is not. If he is, then get him. All down to judgement at the end of the day. I remember them talking about Deli Ali. If you know in advance, they cost even more cash. SAS - he who dares wins. Easier to get it wrong than right.

I'm not sure, as it has the potential to disrupt the rest of the U21s. £10k per week is the wage ceiling for anyone going to the gumps because of their embargo. So, we know that Ward plus Oliveira, Mendes and Mills are all on no more than £10k as regular Championship players with some international pedigree. If this O'Dowda story is true, which is a very big if, then it's probably his Dad trying it on. If the lad wants to play for Derby County and be a part of a brilliant future at a forward-looking club, then he should seize the opportunity and hope his performances earn him a bigger contract down the line.

1 hour ago, RamLad1884 said:

Have to consider the effect onto the team and future buys however. If you offer a youth player 10k per week, then it will create the situation that other youth players will want 10k. Same with any level of a team. If you show you're willing to pay a large amount on wages, then the existing players will demand more 

Let the unbridled hyper escalation of wages at Derby County begin! Unavoidable. The fact that he is a youth player is a factor but what if he is another Will Hughes? Back your judgement. If you are not sure, then let him go somewhere else. How much would you have paid for Ibe when he was 17? How much would you have paid him per week? How much is he worth now? :D

I'd be amazed if any of the U21 players who have yet to make the first team squad are earning anything remotely near £10k a week and if we sanction this (although I have serious doubts that it's true) then we're bonkers, totally and utterly barmy!

Think of it this way - £10k a week over a season is in excess of half a million quid - approx 7% of the revenue generated by season ticket sales - for a player who so far has plied his trade in the lowest division of the Football League. He may be half decent now, he might be very good in a year or two but it sets a precedent for every other young player who might be considering coming to Derby County - agents aren't stupid!

14 hours ago, eddie said:

I bet he doesn't know how to debug a sysudump either, and hasn't a clue about regression testing.

Also I suspect he doesn't know his ASE from his EBIF either:huh:

11 hours ago, Rampage said:

Are you for real, 10k is a **** load for a player who will probably spend rest of this season back at Oxford then start of next season having to prove he is good enough in the U21. 

5 minutes ago, harryram said:

Are you for real, 10k is a **** load for a player who will probably spend rest of this season back at Oxford then start of next season having to prove he is good enough in the U21. 

I think Barcelona were trying to sign a 12 year old the other week.

if a player does not look outstanding at 20, chances are they will never be outstanding. There are exceptions of course. If you are in the top 5% of players at your age at 17 you may well be in the top 5% of players at 20. You may not of course. Talent scouts get paid for spotting players. Arsenal have just taken the Leicester scout away from Leicester City. He is the guy that spotted Mahrez and N'gote or similar name. Get my drift? We need some players who are good enough at 19 to play in the Championship. Would be interesting to know who is playing regularly in our league at 19. I said last year that we should sign Demarai Gray. Leicester have him and are paying good money.Harry Redknap intimated that Southampton may be paying Austin £100.000 a week. probably not true but a reason why he did not come to us. You get what you pay for.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Unfortunately; it doesn't look like Roofe will be the only key #OUFC departee, Callum O'Dowda looks set for Derby County. Double blow. #OUFC

However, Oxford United may push for an agreement to take Callum O'Dowda back on loan for the forthcoming 2016/17 season. #OUFC #DCFC

From @DJChurch94

Not sure on the validity, but he has a decent amount of followers

Just now, North_Stand_Ram said:

Unfortunately; it doesn't look like Roofe will be the only key #OUFC departee, Callum O'Dowda looks set for Derby County. Double blow. #OUFC

However, Oxford United may push for an agreement to take Callum O'Dowda back on loan for the forthcoming 2016/17 season. #OUFC #DCFC

From @DJChurch94

Not sure on the validity, but he has a decent amount of followers

Seen him play for Ireland, looks some talent. 

2 minutes ago, CastletonRam said:

Retuning to old targets. Have recruitment actually improved if we're just going off old lists? 

possibly not, or just possibly he was a good target rather than one that the manager wanted because he had worked with him and knew his name so could actually request him.

Archived