Dwight Gayle

Bris Vegas

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Posh supporting fellow writer tells me he would be lethal in the Championship, and would guarantee our promotion should he join. Though he would have to play at CF instead of Martin.

That's a tough call in all honesty, but if Gayle can link-up play + go in behind (a cross between Martin+Bent) then we could be on for a winner.

Obviously he's a good player and a loan with a view to a permanent would be beneficial, it's just the wages that would discourage me, then again it's not my money so that shouldn't effect me.

If he scores for fun we can sign him, he would be a good squad player in the PL regardless, though in my opinion not one to rely on to fire yourself to safety. If he ain't great, and doesn't score goals, he can go back to Palace and providing it hasn't ****** up our automatic plans, no harm done.

30 minutes ago, Daveo said:

Don't see the need for another striker unless one is off. As a player I would be looking at Bent and thinking if he can't get a game what chance have I got. Martin is numero uno and we only ever play with 1 up top.

I agree with this in relation to people of the quality of Gayle. This could change if we brought someone in who was by far the best forward at the club (highly unlikely) but for someone of the level of Gayle I don't see a striker coming. Unless Clement has plans to change the system. 

Something tells me Clement isn't in the market for loaning players.  He wasn't keen when we needed a left back and chose to soldier on and wait for January.

If your look for reasons and common factors for our last couple of seasons, loan players may be seen as a reason for not getting over the line.

I expect if we sign anyone it will be a permanent signing and another piece of he jigsaw. 

I just see any loan or striker signing incredibly disloyal to Darren Bent. If we are going to change a formation to fit another striker in then do it now, but there isn't really any need. Bent has shown he can score goals and if given a run in the team, he would bag a lot.

However I don't see us changing formation. Why have three strikers for one position, when we currently have three infers for two positions, two of which could be classed as a striker.

If we are going to go all out and spend some money, I can only really see it being a winger. Buying or securing a Prem standard winger would secure us top two.

17 hours ago, Dimmu said:

IMO this is just a myth. Especially with strikers it's all about how he fits to tactics. Couple examples with Vardy and Martin. Martin would struggle in team where everyone should drop down to defend and counter. The way we counterattack suits him well, but if he needed t drop more, he would be more or less useless. Personally I can't see Vardy doing well for possession based bigger teams. There's a reason why City, Pool, Chelsea, us etc prefer powerful strikers, who plays with back towards the goal.

By the way, didn't Palace pay a lot to get Gayle? 6 millions or something like that?

Same reason Darren Bent did well in his career as a counter attacking striker who likes to get in behind a defence with a high line.

He was great for ipswich charlton, sunderland in the premier. Put him in an england team in qualifying games against minnows who defend deep and he was hopeless because he had no space to run into.

On the same subject of players matching a system. Martin was much more effective with Hughes and Bryson in the team who play it short into his feet. The curent derby team with more varied range of passing, simply dont use Martin enough. That and the fact he is on the floor whinging this year more than ever.

Bent and Ince  scored goals at the end of last season.  They work well together. And the squad is adaptable to a different system.   We now have a much stronger and well organised defence.  If Martin  got injured it would not be the disaster it was then.

While i liked him at Boro 2 yrs ago,and wanted him her then, i feel differently now. I think IF we are in the market for a striker this Jan and assist with the promo push,it  should be one that will work in the Prem next season. I agree with other comments on here that a loan would put peoples noses out, unless were happy with that ?

I like the horses for courses system, its one i  always advocated, so another striker may be a good idea, just who ?

So, question - can Martin do a job in the Prem ? same question of Bent, if not maybe we should look at options and fit them in now so as to hit the ground running in August :)

I don't think Bent would be good enough for the prem next season, that's why he is now in the championship. As for CM, probably used as a sub, when we get promotion this season I 'd already heard that Mel wants us to stop up, so I would have thought a prem proven striker will be bought.

Paul maybe has already chosen the striker he would like to get, to add to the promotion run in and would be suitable for next season.

Would Gayle be suitable? I don't know as I have not seen much of him recently.

Archived