Dwight Gayle

Bris Vegas

8 minutes ago, toddy said:

I don't think Bent would be good enough for the prem next season, that's why he is now in the championship. As for CM, probably used as a sub, when we get promotion this season I 'd already heard that Mel wants us to stop up, so I would have thought a prem proven striker will be bought.

Paul maybe has already chosen the striker he would like to get, to add to the promotion run in and would be suitable for next season.

Would Gayle be suitable? I don't know as I have not seen much of him recently.

I dont disagree, but in hindsight a 2yr + contract was extravagant... maybe necessary to get him (but now with hindsight and his wages ? ooops)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, toddy said:

I don't think Bent would be good enough for the prem next season, that's why he is now in the championship. As for CM, probably used as a sub, when we get promotion this season I 'd already heard that Mel wants us to stop up, so I would have thought a prem proven striker will be bought.

Paul maybe has already chosen the striker he would like to get, to add to the promotion run in and would be suitable for next season.

Would Gayle be suitable? I don't know as I have not seen much of him recently.

The issue with this is, what sort of Prem proven striker? Gayle has proven he isn't prolific in the PL. Any striker that is prolific in terms of PL goals, who also has age on their side is likely to have a host of current PL clubs lining up should he be available. We would also need to convince this proven PL striker to play in the Championship where there is no guarantee of promotion.

If we can sign a genuine PL quality striker then fantastic, although to do this I would guess we would need to gamble on a foreign striker who may or may not be able to cut it in the PL. Other than that, a loan would be the way to go. It would seem pointless buying a striker who isn't going to be good enough to play in the PL next season when that's clearly what we hope to be doing.

I thought if we were looking to build for the future promotion and remaining in the prem, so I would have thought Paul would have earmarked a suitable striker able to do both jobs - if available?

Otherwise stick with Martin/bent and hope they can score enough to keep us up  but a bit of a gamble?

Not too sure if Mel would do that, but as you say where do we get a suitable striker that could do the job?

Yes, I agree again maybe a top foreign player, ex madrid perhaps?  Paul will have contacts. 

Could we prize the fella off QPR?

Either way it will cost Mel a tidy sum to bring quality in

• 2 weeks later...

The Mirror:

Alan Pardew revealed Gayle was closing in on a return to full fitness after Crystal Palace’s heavy defeat at the hands of Chelsea.

But where will he be plying his trade when he gets up and running?

Gayle snubbed interest from Bristol City in the summer but remains out-of-favour at Selhurst Park and is rumoured to be on Derby County’s transfer radar.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/rescue-me-10-premier-league-7112555

Archived