Super Stephen Warnock

Chris Mills

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Rampage said:

This is Warnock playing like when he  was Player of Season at Leeds.

Playing like a seasoned pro, that just simply knows what he is doing, where he should be, what his limitations are and like a man who knows he can excel at this level. 

Arguably the best full back in the league, whatever his age, price tag, as doubt many playing a better all round game currently.

2 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Yes he is playing well, but with no Forsyth to come in we need cover, besides another old pro (Chris Baird) get a loan in come January please Mr Clement

That would be an insult to the youngsters chomping at the bit for a chance. A bit of a Lowe blow maybe?

STEPHEN Warnock believes young defender Max Lowe will provide him with some stiff competition once he returns to full fitness.

Warnock is currently Derby County's first-choice left-back after Craig Forsyth was ruled out for the rest of the season with a serious knee injury.

Lowe, 18, is yet to make his first-team bow but might have found himself close to Paul Clement's squad had he not been currently sidelined by a hamstring problem.

Clement opted not to bring in another left-back before the emergency loan window closed last week, with the versatile Chris Baird able to fill in if required.

"The manager spoke to me about it," said Warnock.

"Obviously, at the moment, Craig is injured and Max is injured.

"We're trying to get Max back as quick as possible, without rushing him, to give us a little bit of cover.

"But we've got Chris Baird, who can play on either side, so we're more than capable of covering positions in the squad."

The experienced Warnock has been impressed with what he has seen of England youth international Lowe.

"Max has trained with us and he's been very good," said the former Liverpool and England man.

"He's come in and looks a changed player from last year. He's grown up and he's matured.

"He's looking strong and fit, so I felt for him when he had the setback.

"These things happen when you're a quick player – hamstrings can often be the bearers of bad news!

"He'll be back, though, and he'll be stronger. I'm sure he will play a big part this season.

"He will be looking to push me for my place in the team, of course he will.

"That's what we need – that healthy competition within the squad."

Warnock has started the past three matches and looks to be finding some form.

He was named the Sky Sports man of the match after Friday's 2-0 win at Hull City.

"I'm just enjoying the challenge at the moment," said Warnock.

"I'm feeling very good – as fit as I have done in my time here.

"I was hoping that when I got a run in the team, my form would show and I think that's happening now.

"If I keep working hard to stay as fit as I can and keep putting in the performances, I'll carry on enjoying it."

Derby have bounced back from their defeat at local rivals Nottingham Forest with successive victories.

The third-placed Rams return to action on Sunday against Sheffield Wednesday on Sunday (1.15pm).

Wednesday are eighth in the Championship table, only outside the play-off zone on goal difference.

"They're a very good team," said Warnock.

"They've got players who can win them games and they keep clean sheets, too.

"They're a footballing team who have got a lot of quality.

"They are also similar to Hull in that they're hard-working and very solid.

"We're going to have to bring our 'A game' again and if we can do that, it will be a great game.

"We have put the Forest result behind us but now we have to keep that going and move on to the next one.

"We want to go as many games unbeaten as we can. That's what will help us through this league and keep the team spirit going."

Read more: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-Stephen-Warnock-confident-Max-Lowe/story-28293454-detail/story.html#ixzz3tLTmqvjJ 
Follow us: @DerbyTelegraph on Twitter | derbytelegraph on Facebook

1 minute ago, Cam the Ram said:

I'd love to see your reaction if one game Clement announced the back 5 would be:

Grant

Baird Shotton Buxton Warnock

:lol:

how about       

Grant

Shotton   Pearce  Buxton   Baird

Just now, Cam the Ram said:

Srg isn't a huge fan of Warnock so I left him in. Not sure what his feelings towards Pearce are like yet 

Don't know how anyone could have feelings towards Pearce either way, we've barely even seen him. I don't even mind Shotton that much - as an option.

Archived