Super Stephen Warnock

Chris Mills

1 hour ago, WamRam said:

Whilst he has done well the last 2 games I do worry about when we may come up against someone with lightning pace and trickery. I'd take a punt on Patrick Roberts from Man City on loan in Jan, looked good at Fulham last year.

You were making such a great point until you suggested loaning a striker to play there.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, sage said:

There are less options, but it is still the best option by far if we can find the right person.

But, surely, we're then lumbered with a left back who isn't much of an improvement on what we have on a contract for 3 years and we'll need another left back should we get promotion.

Just bring someone in IF we need them.  At the moment, we don't.

6 minutes ago, maydrakin said:

But, surely, we're then lumbered with a left back who isn't much of an improvement on what we have on a contract for 3 years and we'll need another left back should we get promotion.

Just bring someone in IF we need them.  At the moment, we don't.

What are you on about? Where did I suggest we get another Forsyth?

The whole point of getting someone on loan with a view to a permanent is loaning someone of sufficient quality that they would only join us permanently if we get promoted. Therefore an improvement.  

22 minutes ago, sage said:

The whole point of getting someone on loan with a view to a permanent is loaning someone of sufficient quality that they would only join us permanently if we get promoted. Therefore an improvement.  

Now now! Remember what the doctor said.

6 hours ago, sage said:

My point is that we would only get a player of similar quality or little improvement to Forsyth. 

To use a car analogy, it's like saying your BMW has just been written off, but you still have an old Merc with a high mileage as a second car, which can do a job.

You could get another BMW now, or if you can use the Merc for another 6 months, you might have enough to get a Ferrari.

Why have a small improvement now, when you can potentially attract a much higher calibre in the summer?

Dunno about Forsyth being a BMW and Warnock a Merc

Joey Barton would be a BMW. A knobber going around thinking he can do what he wants. All bravado and bravado only. 

Forsyth is more a Ford. None flashy but reliable. Warnock is a Volvo. Definitely a Volvo.

I'd go

Carson - Land Rover

Cyrus - Corvette

Keogh - Fiat

Shackell - Range Rover

Thorne - Lamborghini

BJ - Tank

Martin - Tractor

Russell - Clio

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Dunno about Forsyth being a BMW and Warnock a Merc

Joey Barton would be a BMW. A knobber going around thinking he can do what he wants. All bravado and bravado only. 

Forsyth is more a Ford. None flashy but reliable. Warnock is a Volvo. Definitely a Volvo.

I'd go

Carson - Land Rover

Cyrus - Corvette

Keogh - Fiat

Shackell - Range Rover

Thorne - Lamborghini

BJ - Tank

Martin - Tractor

Russell - Clio

this deserves its own thread

Left backs cost a premium and most good ones are snapped up by Prem clubs. People don't realise how lucky we are to have a gamble like Fozzy pay off. You watched how many left backs get turned inside out at our place, how often does that happen to him?

Warnock has won me over, you can see his experience out there. Gets a foot in early rather than let wingers run at him, never shirks a challenge.

18 hours ago, maydrakin said:

My point is that we would only get a player of similar quality or little improvement to Forsyth. 

To use a car analogy, it's like saying your BMW has just been written off, but you still have an old Merc with a high mileage as a second car, which can do a job.

You could get another BMW now, or if you can use the Merc for another 6 months, you might have enough to get a Ferrari.

Why have a small improvement now, when you can potentially attract a much higher calibre in the summer?

Did you read my reply?

20 hours ago, Daveo said:

What happens if the Merc breaks down? old cars can be unreliable, we're left with a VW that hasn't had it's emissions tested yet

You could pay some local scrote to set fire to it while you're down the pub then claim off the insurance. Buy a new one

On 23 November 2015 at 16:34:17, sage said:

Did you read my reply?  

Yes, and my point is that we are looking at players like Marcus Olsson as possible replacements as that is the calibre we can attract in our current position.

With all due respect to him, he is a player that wouldn't be seen as much of an improvement on what we have.

We have got a decent player in Warnock, who has stepped up to the plate, so why bring in a stop gap who could be as good as Jay McEveley, who was bought in similar circumstances?

For example, I doubt a player like Brian Oviedo would consider dropping down a division and would happily warm Everton's bench.

Just now, maydrakin said:

Yes, and my point is that we are looking at players like Marcus Olsson as possible replacements as that is the calibre we can attract in our current position.

With all due respect to him, he is a player that wouldn't be seen as much of an improvement on what we have.

We have got a decent player in Warnock, who has stepped up to the plate, so why bring in a stop gap who could be as good as Jay McEveley, who was bought in similar circumstances?

For example, I doubt a player like Brian Oviedo would consider dropping down a division and would happily warm Everton's bench.

Did I mention Marcus Olsson?

I clearly stated a player who would only join us on a permanent basis if we were in the Prem. ie a Prem level player. 

I understand what you are saying.

7 minutes ago, sage said:

Did I mention Marcus Olsson?

I clearly stated a player who would only join us on a permanent basis if we were in the Prem. ie a Prem level player. 

However, my point is that it's not that simple to just bring in a Prem level player whilst in the position we're in, unless we pay silly money.

Archived