Dean Sturridge appreciation

Gypsy Ram

15 hours ago, Gypsy Ram said:

I have not seen a thread about him yet, and I just wanted to say what a wonderful footballer he was for Derby County.Could peeps share his wonderful moments with the club?

Who are Derby Country? Has Bradley Johnson been at it again?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to go to the games with my Mum and Dad and as we lived in Alvaston we caught the bus up from Blue Peter to Pride Park.

When getting some money from the ATM we bumped into Deano. Clearly we were going to the game as we all had our shirts on. So he told us to skip the bus and we jumped in his Range Rover with him and his Mum.

Getting out of his car at Pride Park Stadium with fans surrounding it hoping for his autograph was amazing. 

One of the best experiences of my life and shows what a top guy he was!

Roy Mac sent him to Torquay to sort himself out .Think he first came on for the first team down at the Den  -   took some of the chants away from Jossie towards the end of the game.  He turned down the move to Arsenal because he couldn't handle the idea of sitting on the bench waiting for his  idol / Ian Wright to get taken off / injured so he had a chance to play  -  or so was the rumour at the time.  Probably just bottled it.  As with a lot of explosive players he spent a lot of time in the treatment room with hamstring problems   -    but then so did Owen !!     His hours as a pundit on RD during that embarrassing season were whiled away with much talk of his nephew's bright future.......................true but also blighted by injuries. 

Dean now lives in a village near Chesterfield.

One of those players who went from a good second division (that's Championship to you young 'uns) striker to suddenly absolutely ripping it up. A bit how Vardy has done. At his height he was as good as his nephew. I thought when Arsenal bid big it was the club who turned it down, and then he got injured and wasn't able to recapture that amazing period when he was unplayable. I shall always hold the lad in high esteem, though a shame he couldn't have pushed Daniel through the Rams academy.

On 14 November 2015 at 12:15:04 p.m., Daveo said:

@MuespachRam will like this one

Ha ha. Yes I am loving this thread!

absolute bang average footballer who was fast, that is all...if he has a first touch half as good as Deon Burton he would have been a world beater, but as I have said numerous times he had the first touch of a dry stoned wall...

i always used to slag him off and one day myself and a group of mates had an exec box at pride park, after the game all the players were in the bar drinking with us and Sturridge came over to me and said "your mates tell me I am your all time hero and you are too shy to talk to me....want a photo?" So before I knew it I was having my photo taken with him (before mobile phones thank god) my mates all loves it...I would love to know where that photo is now and actually he was a decent chap, had a nice conversation with him about how he should have gone to Arsenal.. 

2 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Ha ha. Yes I am loving this thread!

absolute bang average footballer who was fast, that is all...if he has a first touch half as good as Deon Burton he would have been a world beater, but as I have said numerous times he had the first touch of a dry stoned wall...

You're not alone in that view. Always thought his touch was terrible, the ball could bounce 10 feet off him, which was fine if he had the space behind to run onto to, the top teams and slow defenders feared his pace, he caused panic, thats why Schmeichel made such a hash of his clearance in 3-2 win at Old Trafford. That has to be my favourite, the sheer panic of their defence and the cocky I'm da man celebration after sums up Deano.

Absolutely love watching his energy, real shame our forward line ups from that era could not have lasted together longer.

There's a guy that sits near me who shouts 'Sturridge disease' every time a Derby player loses a ball intended for them because they don't move towards it but, rather, wait for it to come to them but it's then intercepted.

He's been shouting it ever since the Ipro opened (and if I knew him then probably at the BBG too).  Apparently it was one of Studger's worst footballing habits.

Still makes me smile though.

On 14 November 2015 20:13:11, TigerTedd said:

Why was everyone so scruffy in the 90s? What's with the really baggy shirts? Daryll Powell looks like a right scruff, and you could hide a small child up Deano's sleeves. 

PS if you want you're child to be a good football, call him Dean. Can't fail. 

Dean holds worth? Didn't work for Mr and Mrs holds worth did it.

I have to agree with just about everything said in this thread. He was a terrible footballer and the ball bounced off in much the same way as it did Theo. All he really had was pace and strength. But Christ did he know how to use them. He could give a defender a head start over almost any distance and still win with ease. And when he got into a position to shoot you were always confident it would hit the back of the net. As I said, poor footballer, but a fantastic striker

3 hours ago, richinspain said:

I have to agree with just about everything said in this thread. He was a terrible footballer and the ball bounced off in much the same way as it did Theo. All he really had was pace and strength. But Christ did he know how to use them. He could give a defender a head start over almost any distance and still win with ease. And when he got into a position to shoot you were always confident it would hit the back of the net. As I said, poor footballer, but a fantastic striker

The thing is if Sturridge had a great first touch or Martin was quick we would never have seen either of them at Derby.  It is these little limitations that make it possible for us to see them for so long.

1 hour ago, Bridgford Ram said:

The thing is if Sturridge had a great first touch or Martin was quick we would never have seen either of them at Derby.  It is these little limitations that make it possible for us to see them for so long.

But are any of us really worried about those limitations when, for example in the case of Martin, he provides so much and with our style of play his lack of pace isn't so noticeable. He still seems to get on the end of enough centres, even when he was involved in the start of the move. With Sturridge most people wouldn't have noticed his lack of touch (I certainly never thought about it as a problem) because he was so quick to get on the end of through balls and then tuck them away. I knew he was going to score that goal against Palace. There wasn't the tiniest bit of doubt in my mind, then again he scored it so quickly I never had time to doubt it :D

Archived