Alan Nixon January 2016 transfer rumours

Carl Sagan

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Pretty sure we can't spend £10m without getting some cash in.

Think you could buy a striker as good as Afobe for less than £10m.

Actually we could. FFP doesn't stop you spending, it just tries to punish you if you spend too much.

It goes against all the noises coming out of the club, but Mel must be a little bit tempted to thing 'bugger FFP, let's go for it'. Assuming Mel is willing to throw more cash at it, he could spend another £20m this month in the hope of promotion on the basis that we're in such a good position and might not be able to replicate this again for a few years. Even if we didn't go up, we'd still be able to trade in the summer. OK in January we'd be embargoed, but who cares if we're 15  points clear with the best squad in the league.

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

Ross Mccormack done deal to Watford for 8 million or at least they seem to have had a bid accepted. Makes sense because there is no need for him to move locations.

Be surprised if he goes to Watford - he won't replace Deeney or Ighalo

38 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Market is mad at the moment. Brighton reportedly spending 7m on a forward from the Ecudaor league 

Have you joined us from t'other board? I have just read your post if so moaning about the state of the message board now.

I moved here from Derby Mad due to my ipad not liking it.

Just now, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Have you joined us from t'other board? I have just read your post if so moaning about the state of the message board now.

I moved here from Derby Mad due to my ipad not liking it.

Yes mate, I will still and try and post over there as the members are all great but it's hard to do it without being plastered with ads!

39 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Have to say, would rather pay £5/6 million for Grabban, than £10 million for Afobe...

I wouldn't. Afobe is only 22 so has plenty of potential to improve whereas Grabban is 27 and hasn't been able to displace Jerome from the Norwich team. So whilst I think the few million extra is quite a lot, I reckon we'd get more money back if we were ever to sell Afobe than if we were to ever sell Grabban.

We may or may not get a top forward in but if we do,Afobe tops my preferred list.He scores at this level,he's quick and his movement reminds me of a young Ian Wright at Crystal Palace.That's what makes him so dangerous and he'd make our midfield look better as he'd give them more options with his willingness to run into channels.Sounds like Camara is coming in as a winger so wouldn't be too disappointed if we sold Weimann or released Bent and Shotton.I know Russell is popular for his work rate but his lack of control is letting him down.Good news is we have Bryson and Hughes to come back as well! If we can't get Afobe,Blackman from Reading is my second choice,followed by Dwight Gayle on loan.Would have said Antonio but the silly beggar's started scoring for West Ham!

I can see the Afobe deal coming off as Wolves do have to sell to get the their club sold.

Afobe over McCormack any day of the week -  For lots of reasons, young, centre forward with pace and we could build a forward line around him.

Let's just assume Afobe does join, then what? It'll mean a change of system.

We wouldn't spend close to £10mil on him to stick him out wide. We wouldn't be able to play the way we do with Afobe in Martin's place. Maybe Clement has been trying to 4-2-3-1 both starting games and mid games to try and ease us in to a new formation?

We could end the month with something like:

Butterfield Johnson/Thorne

Ince Martin Razza

Afobe

1 minute ago, Kernow said:

We wouldn't spend close to £10mil on him to stick him out wide. We wouldn't be able to play the way we do with Afobe in Martin's place. Maybe Clement has been trying to 4-2-3-1 both starting games and mid games to try and ease us in to a new formation?

Ince Martin Razza

Afobe

I think Afobe would end up playing behind Martin if we were to stick with the 4-2-3-1. According to whoscored, he's played 6 games at attacking mid and scored 5 of his 9 goals. The other 4 came in the 17 games he's played as a striker. :blink:

5 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Ince Martin Razza

Afobe

I think the way we're playing at the minute would suit Afobe better than it does Martin.

Just now, Cam the Ram said:

I think Afobe would end up playing behind Martin if we were to stick with the 4-2-3-1. According to whoscored, he's played 6 games at attacking mid and scored 5 of his 9 goals. The other 4 came in the 17 games he's played as a striker. :blink:

Yeah, either or. He's obviously got pace, power and a good finish, so I feel it would take the pressure of Martin a lot and they could link up well. With Martin further ahead it would be more a case of laying the ball off for Afobe rather than flicking it on for him.

Wolves found a very good way to play with Afobe and Dicko, so there's no reason why we couldn't replicate that sort of attacking threat, just with better quality than Wolves in other areas of the pitch.

Archived