Alan Nixon January 2016 transfer rumours

Carl Sagan

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, StringerBell said:

I think the way we're playing at the minute would suit Afobe better than it does Martin.

I can't see us signing Afobe AND sticking with 4-3-3 though. After Martin's exploits for the club over the past couple of years he doesn't deserve to have a replacement signed after a bit of a barren spell. Similarly if we get Afobe in for £8-10mil, you get the situation where even if he doesn't play brilliantly, you're not sure if you can drop him due to the expense you've paid for him.

If we signed another striker for that sort of money I think PC will try and accommodate them into the same starting 11.

2 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Yeah, either or. He's obviously got pace, power and a good finish, so I feel it would take the pressure of Martin a lot and they could link up well. With Martin further ahead it would be more a case of laying the ball off for Afobe rather than flicking it on for him.

Wolves found a very good way to play with Afobe and Dicko, so there's no reason why we couldn't replicate that sort of attacking threat, just with better quality than Wolves in other areas of the pitch.

Love the idea of Afobe in our team at either attacking mid or up front, but it leaves Clement with a major selection problem for the 2 holding mid spots. It's a good problem to have but I doubt we'd leave £6 million Johnson on the bench regularly and Butterfield is much better further forward than stuck in a deep role. And then what do you do when Hughes and Bryson return? :lol:

2 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Personally no but you can see the logic behind it. He fits the mould we're after. I've also heard nothing in Austin, I think we're looking for pace 

Good to hear. Austin is brilliant as he proved when in the Prem, but lately he's spent more time out injured than he has playing. In a dream world I'd want either Afobe or McCormack to join. Afobe is young and already a top Championship striker and McCormack is probably the best player in the league at present. I'm not getting my hopes because spending £30 million+ in one season just seems so unimaginable, but since Mel has taken over anything is possible.

1 minute ago, Cam the Ram said:

Love the idea of Afobe in our team at either attacking mid or up front, but it leaves Clement with a major selection problem for the 2 holding mid spots. It's a good problem to have but I doubt we'd leave £6 million Johnson on the bench regularly and Butterfield is much better further forward than stuck in a deep role. And then what do you do when Hughes and Bryson return? :lol:

Exactly but it's a good problem to have! As impressive as PC has been this season I think he recognises that whilst our first eleven is as good if not better than anyone else in this division, we do lack someone to make a difference off the bench. It proved yesterday. Clement made the bold move to go for the win which is admirable. He brought on Weimann who although a solid Championship player is not the sort to come on and win the game for you.

It would be silly to have Afobe and Martin and just play one at a time, so naturally you'd take one from the midfield. The thought of 4 of Hughes, Johnson, Thorne, Butterfield, Hendrick and Bryson only being a back up is scary.

5 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I can't see us signing Afobe AND sticking with 4-3-3 though. After Martin's exploits for the club over the past couple of years he doesn't deserve to have a replacement signed after a bit of a barren spell. Similarly if we get Afobe in for £8-10mil, you get the situation where even if he doesn't play brilliantly, you're not sure if you can drop him due to the expense you've paid for him.

If we signed another striker for that sort of money I think PC will try and accommodate them into the same starting 11.

It would be a selection headache for sure. I really like Martin (when he stays on his feet). But until the wide players hold it up a bit, and Clement realises having Hendrick or Bryson in the team helps to make the most of Martin then Afobe would be more successful in this current set up I reckon. We're really struggling to get Martin in good positions and Clement must be noticing this.

I'm not sure if there's anything in the Afobe rumour though. I'm more inclined to believe Bris than Nixon after last summer and Bris says we're looking at a striker who isn't Afobe. Plus SDSR has been liking Bris' posts.

2 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

It would be a selection headache for sure. I really like Martin (when he stays on his feet). But until the wide players hold it up a bit, and Clement realises having Hendrick or Bryson in the team helps to make the most of Martin then Afobe would be more successful in this current set up I reckon. We're really struggling to get Martin in good positions and Clement must be noticing this.

I'm not sure if there's anything in the Afobe rumour though. I'm more inclined to believe Bris than Nixon after last summer and Bris says we're looking at a striker who isn't Afobe. Plus SDSR has been liking Bris' posts.

I think I know who Bris is referring to although with apparent recent developments with another club it seems less likely.

We do need a striker though and we need one who is good enough to start, not just come off the bench. The way we play means if Martin is marked out of the game, we stand little chance of creating anything. Bent is even less useful in this respect. To have a striker who isn't a like for like and can play with Martin can add another dimension to our attack and make us more flexible and less predictable. I think this is what PC will try to do. He surely has a better idea of what we need now after watching us play in 25 competitive games this season. The most recent signing we've made so far was after watching us in 5 games.

13 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I think that Clement favours a diamond formation but has stuck with 433 due to the players currently available. I keep hearing that we're also still after a left back. As Warnock is doing very well, that could mean that Clement wants a quicker, fitter player there to provide width.

Maybe we'll look something like this in February

Carson

Christie Keogh Shackell Olsson 

Thorne

Butterfield Johnson

Ince

Afobe Bent

29 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Let's just assume Afobe does join, then what? It'll mean a change of system.

We wouldn't spend close to £10mil on him to stick him out wide. We wouldn't be able to play the way we do with Afobe in Martin's place. Maybe Clement has been trying to 4-2-3-1 both starting games and mid games to try and ease us in to a new formation?

We could end the month with something like:

Butterfield Johnson/Thorne

Ince Martin Razza

Afobe

If we had to balance the books to bring in reinforcements, we could look to off load, Martin and Russell plus Hendrick?

Bring in Afobe and McCormack.

Midfield when fit we would have Hughes, Bryson, Hendrick?

Up front we would have Bent, Weimann and Bennett

Not a bad starting 11, possibly with a defender good enough to complete in the prem?

Carson/Grant

Christie       Shacks              Keogh         Warnock

Butterfield    Thorne         Johnson

Ince                                              McCormack

Afobe

5 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I think I know who Bris is referring to although with apparent recent developments with another club it seems less likely.

We do need a striker though and we need one who is good enough to start, not just come off the bench. The way we play means if Martin is marked out of the game, we stand little chance of creating anything. Bent is even less useful in this respect. To have a striker who isn't a like for like and can play with Martin can add another dimension to our attack and make us more flexible and less predictable. I think this is what PC will try to do. He surely has a better idea of what we need now after watching us play in 25 competitive games this season. The most recent signing we've made so far was after watching us in 5 games.

I actually thought Martin and Bent did ok against Brum when they played together. It was a very open game though, with Thorne and Baird not providing much mobility in the middle. Maybe with Johnson in there steaming around it might work better.

I rate Martin and Bent and it frustrates me we haven't been able to consistently play to the strengths of either this season due to the style of play, albeit a style of play that has took us into the top 2. This leads me to think Clement might look to replace them with someone more suited. Afobe's allround game is suited to a lone striker role I think. He can hold it up, run in behind, and pop up in the right places. His variety would give opposition defences more to think about. He's a nice blend of Martin and Bent I suppose. And as you say, could play alongside another striker.

1 hour ago, Cam the Ram said:

I wouldn't. Afobe is only 22 so has plenty of potential to improve whereas Grabban is 27 and hasn't been able to displace Jerome from the Norwich team. So whilst I think the few million extra is quite a lot, I reckon we'd get more money back if we were ever to sell Afobe than if we were to ever sell Grabban.

Fair points, I would argue that for £10 million though, Afobe is a risk, epsecially in the higher tier, I was thinking more about damage limitation

2 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

I wouldn't. Afobe is only 22 so has plenty of potential to improve whereas Grabban is 27 and hasn't been able to displace Jerome from the Norwich team. So whilst I think the few million extra is quite a lot, I reckon we'd get more money back if we were ever to sell Afobe than if we were to ever sell Grabban.

Grabban would never come here anyway while a certain Bradley Johnson is here.

3 hours ago, harryram said:

Can't  see us signing afobe but would love to see him in a Derby shirt. Can hold the ball, as well as being very quick and at 22 can only get better, 

Exhibit A

sport-graphics-2002_750092a.jpg

4 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

I think that Clement favours a diamond formation but has stuck with 433 due to the players currently available. I keep hearing that we're also still after a left back. As Warnock is doing very well, that could mean that Clement wants a quicker, fitter player there to provide width.

Maybe we'll look something like this in February

Carson

Christie Keogh Shackell Olsson 

Thorne

Butterfield Johnson

Ince

Afobe Bent

No Martin?

40 minutes ago, Kernow said:

No Martin?

Not in the first 11. He's brilliant at playing the 'pivot' role in a 433 where the fullbacks bomb on, the wide attackers track back and at least one central midfielder runs past him regularly.Unfortunately, we don't play like that anymore, so Martin looks lost. Warnock, Ince, Johnson and Butterfield just don't fit with the McClaren 433 which brought out the best in Chris Martin.

Whenever he plays in a front two he, IMO, looks lost. He drops too deep and ends up playing like the fat ex-semi pro who thinks he's too good for the Sunday league team. Martin's not mobile enough to to keep up with a fast moving forward line so I think that Bent would be better suited to that formation. I'd keep him on the bench in case we needed to revert to 433.

Archived