Fads in Footy

ValeRam

People exclaiming "hoof" is my biggest annoyance.

Football snobbery.

Especially given a decent long pass is more effective than that tippy tappy bryson/hughes style.

The irony is... in the 80s and 90s, teams were hoofing it, and no one said a thing. Now any clearence into the stands, any long ball is seen as a hoof. And I cant stand the term !!!!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A good shot stopper, I would say shot stopping is a pre requisite of any goalkeeper, furthermore I'd say it's one of the easiest skills a goalie has to master.

Marshalling a defence, commanding his area and getting his positional sense sorted are all far harder (to me) than stopping any shots, if a goalie can't do that as a matter of routine, it's time to think about another position or sport.

8 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

A good shot stopper, I would say shot stopping is a pre requisite of any goalkeeper, furthermore I'd say it's one of the easiest skills a goalie has to master.

Marshalling a defence, commanding his area and getting his positional sense sorted are all far harder (to me) than stopping any shots, if a goalie can't do that as a matter of routine, it's time to think about another position or sport.

True. You'd never hear someone describe an outfield player as being a good ball kicker.

24 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

I thought that calling a goalkeeper 'a good shot-stopper' was slightly derogatory, for the very reasons you've given, I.e. there's an implication that there should be more to his game, and there isn't - naming no names.

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

And yet Dean sturridge made a very good living out of exactly that

He knew how to use it, I guess. Was never overly keen on Sturridge but his goal against Arsenal at PP in the 3-0 win (my favourite non forest game at PP) is in my top 5 goals. I know there is a joke somewhere about him lobbing Seaman.

9 minutes ago, rynny said:

He knew how to use it, I guess. Was never overly keen on Sturridge but his goal against Arsenal at PP in the 3-0 win (my favourite non forest game at PP) is in my top 5 goals. I know there is a joke somewhere about him lobbing Seaman.

9 minutes ago, rynny said:

He would have been a world beater if he had a first touch half as good as Deon Burton..(don't know how i have quoted you twice, must be twice as good)

I have a few pets hates in football, and some of them might even clash with the examples above:

- Teams intent on playing their away kit away, when the home kit is actually much the better option.

- The overuse of praising goalkeepers. Manuel Neuer vs Theo Walcott for example. Absoloutely world class save? It was about a yard to his left, it was in fact a dreadful miss but nobody seemed to mention that.

- Jack Grealish: His socks,  style of football and most of all that Ireland/England saga. Am I the only one who thinks this kid is massively overrated and a great example of bad English footballers have become?

- We have a 50-goal a season strike force. Fans who have no clue about the game and think one goalscorer + another goalscorer = promotion.

- The Europa League excuse. English teams don't try in this competition - says the large number of fans too blinded to accept that the likes of Everton, Spurs and Swansea aren't really that good.

- Fans blaming other fans for stealing songs. Jesus, get a life who cares...

- The word 'tinpot' and this obsession over attendances. I really don't thiink fans of teams like Villarreal give two sheets whether Sheffield Wednesday or even Forest have more fans than them. 

Fans are just random people, attendances are how many random people sit inside the same building. In no other walk of life would you try and goad somebody because you have more random people sitting in the same building as you. You wouldn't get off a bus and goad another bus-taker because your bus had more people on it - so why the need to it at a football ground? You don't even know 99.9% of everyone else in the same stadium, so why make out it's some kind of special thing? 

- The goading of tourists being at Old Trafford or the Nou Camp? Why? I don't get it...

Archived