Graham Richards

jcidaho

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't GR actually a Birmingham fan?

Can't remember if it was Birmingham or Villa - one of the two. Followed Arthur Cox around apparently, so the latter would makes some sense.

Growing up in the mid/late 90s means that GR was the soundtrack to the Derby games in my youth. 

One of my long standing memories was MARCO GABBIADIIINIIIIIIIIII. You'd always tell when Derby had scored rather than the opposition. He was far more animated - something which I never quite got from other commentators.

Good in his day but this is a new day. Give him an hour to reminisce during the international break monday evening DT program. That would be good in my opinion.The highlight of his commentaries for me was when he talked about the three amigos. He knew what he could say and boy was he right.

Dean Sturridge was the best commentator on the Rams for me. First time that i heard him, I thought that he would be on Sky matches. He did some then seemed to stop. The ex Nottingham Florest guy is now the best match analyser for me. A very intelligent guy. His name escapes me. Stick him in one of Mel's scarves and adopt him, he has quality insights..

Dean Sturridge was the best commentator on the Rams for me. First time that i heard him, I thought that he would be on Sky matches. He did some then seemed to stop. The ex Nottingham Florest guy is now the best match analyser for me. A very intelligent guy. His name escapes me. Stick him in one of Mel's scarves and adopt him, he has quality insights..

You best not be on about Birtles? He is f*cking awful.

Thanks for putting the maxwell links up.... Brought back so many memories. 

I remember doing my paper round (for all you children under 20 this was when kids were used as slave labour to deliver newspapers all around the city at 5 in the morning before going to school) and one of the old guys who I delivered to told me to tell the boss that he was cancelling his Daily Mirror until "that fat **** was dead"..! Made me laugh telling the papershop owner. 

Turning up for the game after Maxwell did die with swimming arm bands on.

The players throwing off their black arm bands before they kicked off (seem to recall Josie coming over to the C Stand and throwing his at us?)

you are joking right..? Sturridge was as bad at commentating as he was at controlling the ball first time...

Can't remember if it was Birmingham or Villa - one of the two. Followed Arthur Cox around apparently, so the latter would makes some sense.

Growing up in the mid/late 90s means that GR was the soundtrack to the Derby games in my youth. 

One of my long standing memories was MARCO GABBIADIIINIIIIIIIIII. You'd always tell when Derby had scored rather than the opposition. He was far more animated - something which I never quite got from other commentators.

GR is from the Birmingham area i always felt he was a wolves fan so maybe no surprises he was there on Sunday. Don’t know where you get the following Arthur cox around from as he was commentating on Derby back in the 70’s and before that at BBC Nottingham covering florist games. Believe he may have had a dust up with a certain Mr B Clough at some point so ended up at BBC Derby   

Who remember the old Century 106 FM i loved there phone in's it had roger davis, Alan Birchenall and Kenny burns maybe the BBC should introduce a cross station phone in, possible on a Friday evening.   

As I recall it was 'fat oik' but I may be wrong.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the 4-1 forest commentary from 79 with the classic, hysterical 'and Forest are in absolute ruins'. Fook the maudlin songs, I want this played at my funeral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbm7ayLd9k8

Absolute love that commentary. I remember when BBC Radio Derby did money mountain people donated money to be able to listen to that. Send me your address and I'll post you a cheque :D

Seem to recall Maxwell banning him from BBC and when we played at Villa Park their scoreboard said something along the lines of 'There's only one Graham Richards'. Not sure if that was because he was a Villa fan, I always thought it was one of the black country clubs.

David Prutton

That is him. Thanks rynny. He is a bright boy but needs a Rams shirt

GR is from the Birmingham area i always felt he was a wolves fan so maybe no surprises he was there on Sunday. Don’t know where you get the following Arthur cox around from as he was commentating on Derby back in the 70’s and before that at BBC Nottingham covering florist games. Believe he may have had a dust up with a certain Mr B Clough at some point so ended up at BBC Derby   

Who remember the old Century 106 FM i loved there phone in's it had roger davis, Alan Birchenall and Kenny burns maybe the BBC should introduce a cross station phone in, possible on a Friday evening. 

I was driving between Birmingham and Nuneaton last night trying to listen to Radio Derby. There were three different football phone ins going on at the same time, which was disconcerting but sort of hilarious.It was like one station butting into the other.

He had a friendship with Martin O'Neil and started going to Villa games when he was manager there.

Archived