Graham Richards

jcidaho

I just remember him being a bit dour and old fashioned. Couldn't tell a thing that was actually happening. I'm talking around the millennium here. 

That would have been when he was twinned with Ian Hall towards the end of his RD career. He was awful then. 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did send a tweet calling him Sir Graham. Could it be that they read it out, or did someone actually call in?

Aaah my bad, it may well of been the tweet. Apologies.

I do agree with what some say about GR being on the radio straight after the game, the post match analysis was shorter as it was due to the programme finishing at 4 and to have someone asking about some dog $£%& on a pitch in the 80's was wasted time. The PC interview was cut short, the Martin interview seemed rushed. Was a very frustrating end to a very good afternoon.

I think GR is a big part of all our past Derby experiences but why not have a Monday night phone in dedicated to him.

I just remember him being a bit dour and old fashioned. Couldn't tell a thing that was actually happening. I'm talking around the millennium here. 

Graham was in his heyday towards the end of the Maxwell era. Like the old saying goes, you youngsters wouldn't understand.

I rather enjoyed listening to Richards post analysis of the match, the opposition, the squad, the style of play, the management, his thoughts on Martin, Thorne, Russell, Keogh, Johnson, McClaren, the step up to the premiership, the support, the atmosphere, and half wits!  
Ok, so some chap phoned in about Benfica and Real Madrid, another about Millwall and someone about Mark Pembridge!...............that says more about the Radio Derby production that cocked up the Clement interview than Richards himself.
"Best ninety minutes I've seen this season"............"with Derby County it's not week in week out, it's season in season out, fantastic support"

Listen again at.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03414p4#play

What was this? Can you refresh my memory?

Radio Times

BBC Radio Derby's Graham Richards could be sacked for an insensitive remark about the Twin Towers during his commentary on Saturday's match at Leicester.

Richards, a circuit judge, said Leicester striker Brian Deane "collapsed just like the World Trade Centre, only less spectacularly".

The station's switchboard was inundated with complaints from listeners and Richards was ordered to make a full apology by the station's managing editor.

Richards, who has been covering Derby County for over 15 years on a freelance basis, now faces disciplinary action and is likely to lose his job.

One listener said: "What Graham Richards said has to be the most insensitive, tasteless public remark ever made by a football commentator."

Radio Times

BBC Radio Derby's Graham Richards could be sacked for an insensitive remark about the Twin Towers during his commentary on Saturday's match at Leicester.

Richards, a circuit judge, said Leicester striker Brian Deane "collapsed just like the World Trade Centre, only less spectacularly".

The station's switchboard was inundated with complaints from listeners and Richards was ordered to make a full apology by the station's managing editor.

Richards, who has been covering Derby County for over 15 years on a freelance basis, now faces disciplinary action and is likely to lose his job.

One listener said: "What Graham Richards said has to be the most insensitive, tasteless public remark ever made by a football commentator."

Thanks bcnram for clearing that up. Very insensitive and unnecessary. Gone down a little in my estimations.

Thanks bcnram for clearing that up. Very insensitive and unnecessary. Gone down a little in my estimations.

It might have been crass and insensitive, but it was genius.

It wasn't long after GR stopped commentating that I just stopped listening to RD as the constant shower of sh*te that followed him were an offence against my ears.

The Twin Towers comment was insensitive, and he shouldn't really have said it, but anyone believing he should have lost his job over that comment should have a word with themselves. 

love how he answers this but ignores direct tweets, like when I asked him if commentary was national as @TroyDyer was ooop north. Cheers Owen

If you look at his tweets at the time you tweeted him he was on the Ice Hockey commentary so no need to give him stick....

What gets me... Is that people are moaning about what happened on my he radio after a league game in October... It was a one off... Does it warrant moaning about?

Fair enough if you didn't like Graham. But he was iconic to many through the 80s and 90s.... And it was nice for the majority to hear the great man again.... Brought back some memories especially when I couldn't attend away games as a nipper.... 

Dont understand the moaning of wanting what you hear usually week in out has been changed for ONE game in October!

its the Moan In tonight. Maybe you can phone and moan then?

Archived