Graham Richards

jcidaho

The term 'legend' is over used, but on a personal note he is a legend for me. When I was way too young to go to games on my own, he brought it totally to life for me. Passion was what he had in spades, and that came over in the commentary.

I'm sure I recall a young  Paiul Gascoigne got some hammer from GR for being overrated, fat, useless etc...and then when he either got sent or taken off, GR was beside himself with glee/disgust. That's what I liked, he was totally biased but he was also honest cos he could really lay into Derby players too.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was the highlight of my week hearing Richard's again, like others the memories come flooding back. I think we were very lucky to have such an articulate, intelligent, witty and passionate commentator for so many years. The guy is a Derby legend and it was the perfect end to a 4-2 win for me!

Totally agree with that. Quick though, change it to opprobrium before the spelling and grammar nazi's get you.

whoops ..but I reckon .. Nil illegitimae carborundum in times like these ? Or perhaps 
More accurately Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est

The term 'legend' is over used, but on a personal note he is a legend for me. When I was way too young to go to games on my own, he brought it totally to life for me. Passion was what he had in spades, and that came over in the commentary.

I'm sure I recall a young  Paiul Gascoigne got some hammer from GR for being overrated, fat, useless etc...and then when he either got sent or taken off, GR was beside himself with glee/disgust. That's what I liked, he was totally biased but he was also honest cos he could really lay into Derby players too.

I believe it was something along the lines of 'fat brat'

As instructed I've had a word with myself and I have decided that Graham Richards should stay where he belongs, in the past, and also that snore inducing wet lettuce Ian Hall. 

I have no need to listen to 'all our yesterdays', it gets too competitive. Everyone wants to be the one to drag up some little spoken about memory in the certain knowledge that they can be crowned a better fan. Boring 

As instructed I've had a word with myself and I have decided that Graham Richards should stay where he belongs, in the past, and also that snore inducing wet lettuce Ian Hall. 

I have no need to listen to 'all our yesterdays', it gets too competitive. Everyone wants to be the one to drag up some little spoken about memory in the certain knowledge that they can be crowned a better fan. Boring 

Over thinking it massively IMO.

I guess it depends if your 19 year old daughter on a job interview died trying to escape from the 31st floor when the building collapsed or not.

jeeze. Hopefully not mate?!? 

I don't remember when he started commentating.

i remember it was Barrie Ecclestone before him? I think?

he was at his best during the early Cox years.

i found him and Colin very tedious towards the end.

whoops ..but I reckon .. Nil illegitimae carborundum in times like these ? Or perhaps 
More accurately Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est

Well, my thoughts exactly. 

then again....i found ed dawes excrutiatingly awful right from the start.

Graham Richards was a wonderful commenator who brought the game to life.I can recall many an away game sitting in my XR2 on Cleethorpes seafront listening to him and Colin Gibson.When the nights drew in the commentary faded away . Will always remember the Millwall play off away leg commentary. Happy happy times.

No not at all, I don't have a daughter. I was just trying to bring a bit of realism to some flippancy regarding the twin towers thing. Probably not the right thing to do. :-)

As you've mentioned him, I used to think Barry Ecclestone was ok.

Archived