Silly Clubs making perpetually bad decisions...

Mostyn6

Just reading the gossip pages on BBC, and there's a section discussing Sunderland sacking Dick Advocaat and replacing him with Patrick Vieira! 

Now, this could prove to be an inspired decision if true, but we all know Sunderland is a shithole and to succeed there, the chances are that you've either got to have been bought up nearby, or in similar surroundings, and not have ideas above your station.

The problem with clubs like Sunderland, is that players see them as a stepping stone or a final payday, and a majority would never set foot in Sunderland if it wasn't for the chance to showcase.

With that in mind, how can Sunderland stop making bad decisions? I'd dread to think how much they're frittered away on bang-average has-beens or never-gonna-bes!

They're in a pretty desperate situation, my opinion is they'd be better off bringing someone like Nigel Clough in to bring some spirit and honesty back into the club instead of continuously going for the risky iconic manager who doesn't last a calendar year!

It beggars belief just how bad things are considering how frequently they rip it up and start again.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they should stick with Dick Advocaat. He's more likely than anyone to guide them to safety.

Sunderland is no more a shithole than many other towns North of London and for the players, any club bar Liverpool and the Manchester clubs is seen as a stepping stone.

As much as they keep on making poor managerial decisions, they have retained their place among the countries elite. Compare that with another club for example that have fired two managers in recent years, had the worst Premiership campaign ever, which will always make them the laughing stock for all fans across the country, and just spent 20M on players in a desperate attempt to try and get where Sunderland are.

You could level this question at any team outside the top four, even Liverpool are failing to attract top, ready-made talent.  Although, Sunderland seem more incapable of making correct decisions than most.  I reckon the best thing they could do is bite the bullet, drop down a division, blood some youngsters and instill an identity and hope to come back stronger.  Massive gamble but at least the fans could begin to identify with their team again, and not feel the need to walk out at half time.

I couldn't bare to support Sunderland. It just seems like such a depressing endeavor to endure the relegation scrap year after year. In the 8 seasons since they returned to the Premier League they have amassed over 40 points on only three occasions, winning on average a measly 10 games per season.

They seem to be cursed in transfer market with almost all of their decisions working against them. Big signings routinely flop hard, Altidore, Giaccherini, Graham, Wickham. Jordan Henderson aside, they are unable to produce good youth players. They sign a local lad and England international, and he turns out to be a paedo. On the rare occasions their signings work, they fall out with the manager and leave, Bent, Gyan.

They made the same mistake with Advocaat as they made with Di Canio. It was evident that neither was really the right man for the job long term, but they couldn't bring themselves to make the decision not to renew after they had kept them up. I predict the cycle will continue and Advocaat will be sacked within the next few months. His successor will keep them up unconvincingly and be rewarded with a handsome contract only to be sacked himself around this time next year.

Just imagine having to watch a team in which Lee Cattermole is considered to be one of the best and most important players.

As a Boro fan, we have viewed the constant upheaval 25 miles up the road with more interest than most. There is a school of thought amongst our fans that as posters on here have noticed, there are clubs in the lower Prem that are chocka with deadwood, players who lack either the inclination or ability or fire to drive the club on. Three examples noted are the skunks and deckchairs from up the road from us and Villa. With Nyacassel they are aided and abbetted in this by having a chairman who doesn't seem too bothered either, so long as they finish 17th the TV money keeps rolling in to him.

A lot of our posters are convinced that relegation 6 years ago was a blessing in disguise; granted we could have done with going back up a few seasons ago and for this Strachan has a lot to answer for, but coming down from the Prem acted as a purge to rid ourselves of these passengers and players content to sit on inflated wages for underperforming and start again, bring kids through the academy and be able to blood them, bring players in who were hungry and had the talent and desire to push themselves onto the next level.

We looked back at our average starting 11 from our relegation season and despite being a Prem side that year were shocked with the amount of dross it contained. Players like Justin Hoyte and Mohammed Shawky Ffs who were never going to do anything. In fact there were only 3 from that 11 who would get in our side now in the champo; Downing of course, Robert Huth and Tuncay Sanli.

Sure you might have the stigma of going down with 12 points, this was unwanted for us as well as prior to this the Mackems up the a19 had both the two lowest ever Prem totals, something we reminded them about whenever possible in answer to their boasts about being the best team in England for a decade or more like Manure and Pool (only in the 1890's!)  But it needed your relegation at the very least to get rid of the root cause same as it did for us and stop your club going rotten from the heart out like those three sadacts currently scratting around the floor of the Prem.... 

All that glitters is not gold.

It's why I don't feel the fixation on being in the PL. It's boring after a year if you end up fodder like Villa, Sunderland etc. 

When I read how frustrated and demanding Rams fans are about being in the PL rather than trying to enjoy the last couple of years it kills me. 

100% I'd rather be us than Villa. Why the hell would you want to be in the PL for the sake of making up the numbers 

"It's worth..."

Nothing. Nothing to me or you. It actually costs us a hell of a lot more. 

It's alright if you're top of the pile of *****. Like Saints. You get some good footballers and you win a fair chunk. You might have the squad to get a trophy and you get the best thing... European nights!!! 

But you can have more fun down here. I bet Sunderland fans look down their noses (like Toon fans) at the Championship. Idiots. I bet Newcastle had more fun winning the Champ than they had recently. "We're Premier League". Nah, you're someone for Man City to get points off. 

People seem to not enjoy watching their teams win anymore and I Just don't get it. 

"Mickey Mouse cup anyway." is another one that drives me mad.

I like football for football. Celebrating goals, winning games, getting near trophies. 

People seem more interested in branding and money. Two things that don't benefit them. 

The only thing the PL has to offer us, as fans of the actual game rather than the soap opera, is a smoother path to European nights at the San Siro and chances of winning trophies. Yes, like the Mickey Mouse cup that everyone laughs at because they'd rather finish 11th. 

Being Sunderland and Villa etc is booring. Guarantee the fans would enjoy smashing Rotherham 5-0 more than playing for a draw with Chelsea. They'd celebrate getting 90 pts in the Champ with far more genuine enthusiasm than reaching 38pts in the "best league in the world" 

Oh I hope we stay up so I can pay another £65 to watch Arsenal batter us 8-0. Otherwise we'll be playing the likes of Huddersfield 

All that glitters is not gold.

It's why I don't feel the fixation on being in the PL. It's boring after a year if you end up fodder like Villa, Sunderland etc. 

When I read how frustrated and demanding Rams fans are about being in the PL rather than trying to enjoy the last couple of years it kills me. 

100% I'd rather be us than Villa. Why the hell would you want to be in the PL for the sake of making up the numbers 

"It's worth..."

Nothing. Nothing to me or you. It actually costs us a hell of a lot more. 

It's alright if you're top of the pile of *****. Like Saints. You get some good footballers and you win a fair chunk. You might have the squad to get a trophy and you get the best thing... European nights!!! 

But you can have more fun down here. I bet Sunderland fans look down their noses (like Toon fans) at the Championship. Idiots. I bet Newcastle had more fun winning the Champ than they had recently. "We're Premier League". Nah, you're someone for Man City to get points off. 

People seem to not enjoy watching their teams win anymore and I Just don't get it. 

"Mickey Mouse cup anyway." is another one that drives me mad.

I like football for football. Celebrating goals, winning games, getting near trophies. 

People seem more interested in branding and money. Two things that don't benefit them. 

The only thing the PL has to offer us, as fans of the actual game rather than the soap opera, is a smoother path to European nights at the San Siro and chances of winning trophies. Yes, like the Mickey Mouse cup that everyone laughs at because they'd rather finish 11th. 

Being Sunderland and Villa etc is booring. Guarantee the fans would enjoy smashing Rotherham 5-0 more than playing for a draw with Chelsea. They'd celebrate getting 90 pts in the Champ with far more genuine enthusiasm than reaching 38pts in the "best league in the world" 

Oh I hope we stay up so I can pay another £65 to watch Arsenal batter us 8-0. Otherwise we'll be playing the likes of Huddersfield 

top quality ranting. If I could give you two likes I would.

i suppose the lure is the dream of maybe racking up enough points to finish 8th and sneak into Europe. Even the lucky few clubs who manage that usually end up loosing in the qualifiers. All that effort for a couple of games in some obscur town in Serbia. 

But you've got to be in it to win it. You never know, in 20 years time, the top 4 might look completely different, and a currently nothing club that makes the right decisions could be up there. It wasn't long ago when it was almost villa. So the dream is that that club might be dcfc. 

Otherwise, the ideal season is one where we finish third, and loose in glorious defeat at Wembley, and then chuckling at our victors as they struggle throughout the following season. While we continue to run rampant in the champ, for another 3rd place finish. 

Just wish they'd create a European competition for lower league clubs. 

Just reading the gossip pages on BBC, and there's a section discussing Sunderland sacking Dick Advocaat and replacing him with Patrick Vieira! 

Now, this could prove to be an inspired decision if true, but we all know Sunderland is a shithole and to succeed there, the chances are that you've either got to have been bought up nearby, or in similar surroundings, and not have ideas above your station.

The problem with clubs like Sunderland, is that players see them as a stepping stone or a final payday, and a majority would never set foot in Sunderland if it wasn't for the chance to showcase.

With that in mind, how can Sunderland stop making bad decisions? I'd dread to think how much they're frittered away on bang-average has-beens or never-gonna-bes!

They're in a pretty desperate situation, my opinion is they'd be better off bringing someone like Nigel Clough in to bring some spirit and honesty back into the club instead of continuously going for the risky iconic manager who doesn't last a calendar year!

It beggars belief just how bad things are considering how frequently they rip it up and start again.

so how long have you loved Sunderland ?

you must've experienced some really bad areas if you think Sunderland isn't one. I've spent loads of time up there, and it's grim.

There is some places in this country but Sunderland aren't one of them. 

Archived