Is Clement a motivator?

mumblemumble

One interesting point for me was Phillips was next to PC against MK in the dugout. So I imagine Phillips is regarded more as a number two than Peacock will be.

For a poster to ask what contribution KP has made within two weeks of him joining is very stupid though.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I find more worrying is that Clement was out thought tactically by Karl Robinson for the majority if the game, how many matches have we said this season that Clement got his tactics spot on

Another satisfied customer...

motivation is born of intelligence and success. And he's doing a fine job so far. He's built a stalwart defence that looks almost impossible to score on and impressively after Burnley he has worked on slicing defences with cleverness from the wings and he found that at least twice v MK Which is partly why he was jumping for joy - because he saw his work in training executed on the pitch! can't get more exciting for a manager than seeing that! the passing is also very good and will improve and he has had to work around his preferred start of the season midfield of Thorne - Hughes - Bryson - which clearly was his preference coming in. Not been easy.

his only failings in my opinion are minor - choosing a squad player as captain (shacks was a better choice) and a tiny one in rotating goalies maybe ... But I think that's a closed issue now.

Im very excited knowing that this man knows his stuff and that the team can only improve at a time when we look close to impossible to beat. keep it up PC!

For me its a case of him trying to get the basics right. We've been defensively sound in the league. Get that right, and the attack should follow.

Having said that, I thought (from my half-fan Sky vantage point) that the defensive performance against Franchise was the poorest this season. If not for a indecisive pass, some Carson heroics and Weimann clearing off the line, it should have been game set and match to MKDons.

Surely these are examples of good defending?

You cannot expect us to go game after game without conceding chances.

I don't by this thing about players lacking confidence and I don't know if he his a motivator?

Its 4 months since the Reading game and we have had a new coach, and some very good quality players have been brought in, these are professional players and alot has changed since that Reading game......

Is a motivator?

I am not in the dressing room, so I can only go on the 10 games that we have played so far -

And ask myself if we are getting better game after game?

Are we performing like a team with the quality of players we have?

Why cannot we break down teams at home?

Why do we struggle to pass and run?

Why aren't we playing more positively?

Why are the tactics so inept?

So is Clement a motivator?

Does not look like it...............................

I don't by this thing about players lacking confidence and I don't know if he his a motivator?

Its 4 months since the Reading game and we have had a new coach, and some very good quality players have been brought in, these are professional players and alot has changed since that Reading game......

Is a motivator?

I am not in the dressing room, so I can only go on the 10 games that we have played so far -

How many away matches have we won on the trot?

Is a motivator?

Sounds like you just want to take a pop at Clement's tactics and throwing it all under the is he a motivator topic just to get it out there.

Not breaking teams down at home, this all came about after the Burnley game which was frustrating I agree but with Burnley parking the bus it was difficult and coming away with a point was a decent result. 

Not passing and running, well this is just silly talk really, if no players were running and passing we wouldn't be coming out of games with the majority of possession? 

Not playing more positively, I agree but we've been spoilt with McClaren's football over the last couple of seasons which makes it even more amusing when fans bash the blokes tactics, we're all sat here wanting us to attack more and be more entertaining. When Clough left we would have been happy just to see a striker come on the pitch away from home and not try to defend every game 0-0 with a crap defence. How our demands have changed because of the tactically inept McClaren.

Inept tactics, Having won 3 on the bounce, unbeaten in 4, if Clements tactics are inept how bad are the other managers? Also forgive me if I'm wrong but didn't Clement's tactical changes at MK Dons turn the game on it's head and we won 3-1 or am I dreaming that? against one of the highest rated young English managers coming through in Karl Robinson. Dyche a manager with bags of experience, knows what it takes to get out the Championship, where was his attempt to break us down? His tactics were don't leave our own half lads, bet the Burnley fans loved watching that having travelled down on a Monday night.

None of these are anything to do with motivation anyway. These are all tactical issues which you are not happy.

We're playing a different style of football under Clement and it's taking players time to adjust and it does look disjointed at times but it's going to take longer than 10 games, even Ince said the other week players are still getting used to the new staff and we've just thrown another new face in there. 

It's not been as free flowing and entertaining as it was under McClaren, it's not as pretty on the eye and at times looks disjoined but we are looking more solid defensively which we haven't done for ooooh years! so there is positives there to be taken if you are open to them.

A sign of a good team is winning when you're not playing great, we're winning are we not and Clement is still learning, if we wasn't willing to give him time then it was a stupid appointment. Let's see where we are when Santa has been and gone.

Is a motivator?

Haha! None of what you listed has anything to do with being a motivator! You just tacked your negative viewpoint on the end of other negative viewpoints in hopes that they will support your argument by association. Look, I can do it:

So does super rams have anything other than a sandwich for a brain?

Surely these are examples of good defending?

You cannot expect us to go game after game without conceding chances.

Good defending, yes. But better defending would not have needed such last ditch efforts.

Agree with the second point, but we looked far more solid against Preston - who you'd argue are a team in similar position, newly promoted from L1, albeit with a different style of play.

Sounds like you just want to take a pop at Clement's tactics and throwing it all under the is he a motivator topic just to get it out there.

Not breaking teams down at home, this all came about after the Burnley game which was frustrating I agree but with Burnley parking the bus it was difficult and coming away with a point was a decent result. 

Not passing and running, well this is just silly talk really, if no players were running and passing we wouldn't be coming out of games with the majority of possession? 

Not playing more positively, I agree but we've been spoilt with McClaren's football over the last couple of seasons which makes it even more amusing when fans bash the blokes tactics, we're all sat here wanting us to attack more and be more entertaining. When Clough left we would have been happy just to see a striker come on the pitch away from home and not try to defend every game 0-0 with a crap defence. How our demands have changed because of the tactically inept McClaren.

Inept tactics, Having won 3 on the bounce, unbeaten in 4, if Clements tactics are inept how bad are the other managers? Also forgive me if I'm wrong but didn't Clement's tactical changes at MK Dons turn the game on it's head and we won 3-1 or am I dreaming that? against one of the highest rated young English managers coming through in Karl Robinson. Dyche a manager with bags of experience, knows what it takes to get out the Championship, where was his attempt to break us down? His tactics were don't leave our own half lads, bet the Burnley fans loved watching that having travelled down on a Monday night.

None of these are anything to do with motivation anyway. These are all tactical issues which you are not happy.

We're playing a different style of football under Clement and it's taking players time to adjust and it does look disjointed at times but it's going to take longer than 10 games, even Ince said the other week players are still getting used to the new staff and we've just thrown another new face in there. 

It's not been as free flowing and entertaining as it was under McClaren, it's not as pretty on the eye and at times looks disjoined but we are looking more solid defensively which we haven't done for ooooh years! so there is positives there to be taken if you are open to them.

A sign of a good team is winning when you're not playing great, we're winning are we not and Clement is still learning, if we wasn't willing to give him time then it was a stupid appointment. Let's see where we are when Santa has been and gone.

Daveo,

I am not taking a pop at Clement and throwing under 'is he a motivator' topic, as the OP has asked closed question. And unless one anyone on here is on the training pitch or dressing room it is either a guess at yes or a no answer as nobody apart from the players will actually know if he can provide an incentive, or be enthusiastic.

I thought the the OP was meaning, Is Clement getting the most out of the players?

Hence my responce.

As for Not breaking teams down at home is not only about Burnley, we also couldn't do it with Charlton and Boro either [and we shouldnt really mention the Leeds game!]

Pass and run is what I said, and that is it about passing the ball quickly and accrutately and moving into holes /spaces, it is something you learn on the training ground and in 5 five aside, it is about what you do without the ball as much as you do with the ball, this is the basis of breaking down oppositions back 4. Mac indeed tried to install this into the players  and a very good example of this is the 5-0 Wolves game, as the running off the ball was perfect, if you are still in doubt check Mac's interview at the end of that game......

We have won 3 away games and yes, 3 wins is 3 wins, but we scrapped the Preston and Reading wins, we really hung on.... as for Mk Dons, we were second best for 70 mins and by a large margin, the performance was awful, the tactics were poor,

Yes, I agree Clement made the subs change and that changed the course of the game, but I am convinced it was out of desperation more than brilliant tactics!

Otherwise he would have done it so much earlier, perhaps HT?

A sign of a good team is getting results when they play poorly, but it also usually means the team in question normally plays very well   - OK, when have we played good for a whole game out of the 10 so far?

I said in the pre season Grimsby game,things were not looking good, and all people were saying were its only pre seson, it'l come good when the sesaon gets under way, well it hasnt. Remember Clement is not on a YTS he has come here as a fully trained coach he has been have provided with some outstanding quality players.

I am passionate about my club and want the best, I have seen nothing in all the 10 games that says Clement knows what he is doing. I  really do hope he can do something with all that talent we have  -but deep down I do see another Brian Kidd and that is the frightening thing.

Daveo,

I am not taking a pop at Clement and throwing under 'is he a motivator' topic, as the OP has asked closed question. And unless one anyone on here is on the training pitch or dressing room it is either a guess at yes or a no answer as nobody apart from the players will actually know if he can provide an incentive, or be enthusiastic.

I thought the the OP was meaning, Is Clement getting the most out of the players?

Hence my responce.

As for Not breaking teams down at home is not only about Burnley, we also couldn't do it with Charlton and Boro either [and we shouldnt really mention the Leeds game!]

Pass and run is what I said, and that is it about passing the ball quickly and accrutately and moving into holes /spaces, it is something you learn on the training ground and in 5 five aside, it is about what you do without the ball as much as you do with the ball, this is the basis of breaking down oppositions back 4. Mac indeed tried to install this into the players  and a very good example of this is the 5-0 Wolves game, as the running off the ball was perfect, if you are still in doubt check Mac's interview at the end of that game......

We have won 3 away games and yes, 3 wins is 3 wins, but we scrapped the Preston and Reading wins, we really hung on.... as for Mk Dons, we were second best for 70 mins and by a large margin, the performance was awful, the tactics were poor,

Yes, I agree Clement made the subs change and that changed the course of the game, but I am convinced it was out of desperation more than brilliant tactics!

Otherwise he would have done it so much earlier, perhaps HT?

A sign of a good team is getting results when they play poorly, but it also usually means the team in question normally plays very well   - OK, when have we played good for a whole game out of the 10 so far?

I said in the pre season Grimsby game,things were not looking good, and all people were saying were its only pre seson, it'l come good when the sesaon gets under way, well it hasnt. Remember Clement is not on a YTS he has come here as a fully trained coach he has been have provided with some outstanding quality players.

I am passionate about my club and want the best, I have seen nothing in all the 10 games that says Clement knows what he is doing. I  really do hope he can do something with all that talent we have  -but deep down I do see another Brian Kidd and that is the frightening thing.

Not breaking teams down at home? I would say the problem is we have been wasteful with our chances, and there have been plenty of them. In our 4 home games we have had 66 shots with 17 on target with 3 goals scored (source BBC)

Charlton 27 shots 6 on target 68% possession

Boro 6 shots 4 on target 68% possession

Leeds 12 shots 3 on target 52% possession

Burnley 21 shots 4 on target 59% possession

Every game we have had very good chances to take the lead and it has been down to poor individual moments and not really the tactics. It may not be as fast as the last couple of years but it certainly is not as reckless, and this is the key, to get that balance right between the over cautiousness of Clough and the gung-ho of McClaren, and so far it is not quite there, I would say the Villareal game was the closest we have come to the perfect balance and we are missing the key ingredient to that in Hughes, and to an extent Bryson. Clement has had to re-evaluate and readjust the team and tactics, and with that the team is adjusting to the more solid approach of Clement, Butterfield and Johnson are settling in to their partnership and still adjusting to the other players strengths and weaknesses.

At times it hasn't looked pretty and has been a it of a struggle to watch but it isn't anywhere as bad as some are making out, and I do include you in that. You complain about everything, we had most of the ball against Charlton almost 30 shots, some very good chances and their keeper had an absolute blinder of a game but we didn't break them down apparently, is that because we only scored once? You say we were hanging on against Reading, is that because it finished 1-0 and their RB had a shot from the edge of the area with his left foot that went no where near the goal, cos I certainly don't remember any other chance they had in the whole of the second half? Holding on against Preston, is that because they scored a deflected goal in stoppage time when we were down to 10 men because of Baird's injury, and they hit the post 10 mins before that?

What are you expecting from the team for it to be classed as breaking them down? Can't be shots at goal as we have had plenty of those, can't be possession as we have had plenty of that? Do we have win 5-0 and 879 first time passes in their penalty box?

You mention the Grimsby game time and again and all it does is make out that you have made your mind up and you aren't going to change it.

Not breaking teams down at home? I would say the problem is we have been wasteful with our chances, and there have been plenty of them. In our 4 home games we have had 66 shots with 17 on target with 3 goals scored (source BBC)

Charlton 27 shots 6 on target 68% possession

Boro 6 shots 4 on target 68% possession

Leeds 12 shots 3 on target 52% possession

Burnley 21 shots 4 on target 59% possession

Every game we have had very good chances to take the lead and it has been down to poor individual moments and not really the tactics. It may not be as fast as the last couple of years but it certainly is not as reckless, and this is the key, to get that balance right between the over cautiousness of Clough and the gung-ho of McClaren, and so far it is not quite there, I would say the Villareal game was the closest we have come to the perfect balance and we are missing the key ingredient to that in Hughes, and to an extent Bryson. Clement has had to re-evaluate and readjust the team and tactics, and with that the team is adjusting to the more solid approach of Clement, Butterfield and Johnson are settling in to their partnership and still adjusting to the other players strengths and weaknesses.

At times it hasn't looked pretty and has been a it of a struggle to watch but it isn't anywhere as bad as some are making out, and I do include you in that. You complain about everything, we had most of the ball against Charlton almost 30 shots, some very good chances and their keeper had an absolute blinder of a game but we didn't break them down apparently, is that because we only scored once? You say we were hanging on against Reading, is that because it finished 1-0 and their RB had a shot from the edge of the area with his left foot that went no where near the goal, cos I certainly don't remember any other chance they had in the whole of the second half? Holding on against Preston, is that because they scored a deflected goal in stoppage time when we were down to 10 men because of Baird's injury, and they hit the post 10 mins before that?

What are you expecting from the team for it to be classed as breaking them down? Can't be shots at goal as we have had plenty of those, can't be possession as we have had plenty of that? Do we have win 5-0 and 879 first time passes in their penalty box?

You mention the Grimsby game time and again and all it does is make out that you have made your mind up and you aren't going to change it.

Why cannot the midfield and forward line play like, we did last season?

Why aren't we pressing teams, further up the field? 

Why aren't we attacking teams playing fast one touch football [certainly have the quality players to do this]?

Why is it we have not put in a 90 min performance in any game - closest for me was the Burnley game except the final 1/3 of the pitch.

Clement seemed very surprised in the interview at the end of the Burnley game that teams would come here and place a bank of 4, a bit naïve ?

Possession means nothing unless you do something with it, shots on goal mean nothing unless they are on target [at least that would mean we are making chances]

10 games played, 3 wins away from home, did we look convincing in any?

Are we getting better even after beating the Dons, are you convinced we are getting better each game?

We looked very, very good against Burnley, but couldn't break down a back 4........

Archived