Milton Keynes Dons v Derby County

Chris Mills

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did the team, or perhaps better said PC with his substitions; get lucky yesterday? I think that the team did. I hope that PC was just doing his job, very well. But I definitely think that the team, and even more so PC deserved it. He came into his first ever head coach position with nothing more, if some of the theories on here are correct, than at most the very disastrous tail end of last season and pre-season to get to know his squad and the division. After going through the pre-season friendlies slowly developing his ideas and getting them across to his players, tinkering with sistems to find out the best suited to those players plus plans B and C, and steadily improving the performances game by game he went into the new season with what looked like at least a plan A. He couldn't have had a worse possible start, losing his most influencial (and current POTS) midfielder, plus his other first choice midfielder (and previous POTS) to injury inside 20 minutes. The first will be out for a minimum of 6 months, the second has already lost 8 games, thus throwing his season plans out of the window, and with the substitutions the option of mixing things up during the game. Then in the next 2 league games he lost 3 more midfielders, even though they were shorter term injuries, thus disrupting any tactical changes again. Yes he has been lucky enough to go out and spend 10 million quid on replacements but they will need time to adapt, although you could argue that 10 points from 12 would suggest that they already have. The team isn't working at the moment. It's getting there. The first 70 minutes yesterday prove it's not there yet. The last 20 at least point to a brighter future. The guy has obviosly got something about him or he wouldn't have worked where he has with who he has. Hopefully he is learning from his mistakes. And hopefully he will continue to get a bit of luck until his abilities prove decisive, just like yesterday's substitutions.

It's a good analysis Rich. I see only a couple of points to play devil's advocate over.

- we didn't start the 1st match that well even before the injuries. Cagey. Thus, we should perhaps believe that PC's natural mindset is to be cautious from the off until he's had a good look at each and every game in progress.

- more seriously, it is the increasing number of "false dawns". We have had a number of matches in which the consensus view has been that "players X and Y had a really good game", or to see that combinations were starting to work only to see positions and personnel shuffled seemingly inexplicably for the next match. If its confusing us then what is it doing for the players?

yesterday we got a huge Rhinos turd sized dollop of luck - or was it? Are there some sacred cows beginning to be slaughtered eg substituting Martin? Let us see what the starting line up is for Brentford....

It's a good analysis Rich. I see only a couple of points to play devil's advocate over.

- we didn't start the 1st match that well even before the injuries. Cagey. Thus, we should perhaps believe that PC's natural mindset is to be cautious from the off until he's had a good look at each and every game in progress.

- more seriously, it is the increasing number of "false dawns". We have had a number of matches in which the consensus view has been that "players X and Y had a really good game", or to see that combinations were starting to work only to see positions and personnel shuffled seemingly inexplicably for the next match. If its confusing us then what is it doing for the players?

yesterday we got a huge Rhinos turd sized dollop of luck - or was it? Are there some sacred cows beginning to be slaughtered eg substituting Martin? Let us see what the starting line up is for Brentford....

Got to admit I've only seen the last 2 live games in their entirety, the other games I've only seen the highlights on player. I'm sure they did start cautiously in the first game but it was the first game of a new season under a new manager, who may or may not have given orders to play that way, although subsequent games may suggest that you are correct. I do agree with you over the personnel changes. I've never been one for squad rotation personally, at least not to keep players fresh when they've only played a couple of games. I'm fairly sure we won the league twice using the same core of players throughout the whole season. Playing Saturday to Saturday, or even Tuesday to Saturday shouldn't be too much for a professional footballer (assuming they're not carrying a slight knock and you don't want to risk them). Play your best team and in their best formation. Let your opponent do the changing to try to combat you. Hopefully this will be one of the things that PC learns quickly. Having said all this, I do hope that his luck is changing too because it really can't have been easy taking the step he has and finding all his plans disrupted so early on in his tenure.

Still loving the Clement celebration when bent scored! So refreshing to have a manager passionate, he always celebrates when we score it's good to see! Unlike someone who just sat upstairs with a brew! 

Just a positive word of thanks for the MK Dons stewards. My Dad can't stand for the entire game and given that we were on the back row of the lower tier and everyone was standing, they allowed him to use one of the "carer's" seats on the concourse level.

Good, sensible stewarding.

Oh, and a good result - eventually !

Just a positive word of thanks for the MK Dons stewards. My Dad can't stand for the entire game and given that we were on the back row of the lower tier and everyone was standing, they allowed him to use one of the "carer's" seats on the concourse level.

Good, sensible stewarding.

Oh, and a good result - eventually !

thought all of the staff at Stadium MK were very good. Friendly, sensible folk. i enjoyed the day out and so did junior (although he did look slightly taken aback at the scrum for the lavs at the end).

Hope they can build their club. Notwithstanding the recent history etc

Cyrus Christie in TotW on whoscored.. I thought he did well, but not quite that well.

8.25 rating, statistically didn't put a foot wrong defensively. 

Highest amount of tackles in the game (5)

Highest amount of aerials won (4)

Most successful dribbles (3)

Only dispossessed once. 

These are the stats I can actually find on whoscored lol 

I wonder whether Middlesbrough fans are asking the same questions after their 3-0 thrashing of Leeds, who to all intents and purposes played them off the park in every other phase of the match except scoring?

Warnock had a shocker defensively in my opinion.

1) The ease a guy knocked it round him earlier on

2) At one of their corners, the ball bounced out, he ran after it, committed himself and their guy just turned him with Warnock lying in the floor

3) The backass which he hit at Shackell (Partly Shacks fault as wel)

His aerial strength is poor but his pull back for Johnson was superb.

I really want Forsyth back in this team though.

Warnock had a shocker defensively in my opinion.

1) The ease a guy knocked it round him earlier on

2) At one of their corners, the ball bounced out, he ran after it, committed himself and their guy just turned him with Warnock lying in the floor

3) The backass which he hit at Shackell (Partly Shacks fault as wel)

His aerial strength is poor but his pull back for Johnson was superb.

I really want Forsyth back in this team though.

Did you not see what Michael Kightly did to Fozzy last Monday night? I like both of them but it's got to be Warnock keeping his place. That was probably the first really dominant left-back performance of the season, not just a 'solid' or 'decent' one. He was my MOTM.

Did you not see what Michael Kightly did to Fozzy last Monday night? I like both of them but it's got to be Warnock keeping his place. That was probably the first really dominant left-back performance of the season, not just a 'solid' or 'decent' one. He was my MOTM.

I cannot comment on the Burnley game but please rewatch the MK game if you think Warnock was dominant. Three big mistakes for me. 

I didnt see Michael Kightly at all in the Burnley game bar a cross first half when he was up against Christie.

I presume you are on the wind up

Archived