Possibly two new signings?

cloughandtaylor

The problem some have mentioned on here is why isn't many players coming through the youth set up?

The squad of the first team is now so strong that not many of the youth team will be good enough to it in, so its sort of a nice problem to have.

There are some players coming through Hanson especially, but not all youth players make it through to the first team, those not good enough drop down a division or two.

As for which two ne signings PC wants - I am under the impression that who ever they are - they will fit in, simple because the signings made this season have all been good, Bent, Ince, Shacks, Baird, Weimann and Pearce and carson - all I feel have added extra quality to the team.

2x midfielders?

Sorry, just had to add that as I think Carson may have steadied the goalkeeping department again and with that the back four and the keeper seem to be working alot better than before

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

God I sound like a miserable old so and so.

I know it's very exciting to be linked with another two signings but...Oh how I hark back to the days when it was our own list of good young talent who could come in and do well here.

When it was our own talent we were developing. Academy or Under 21.

I wonder how Wass feels these days, and whether there's still such a clear path from the academy to the first team.

I remember the pitch we were given of how proud we were and how it made our recruitment for the Academy easy, we were the place to come for young lads who knew they'd get a chance if they stood out no matter how old.

Category A? No need, we'll just go out and loan other clubs young uns instead.We'll pay their wages, we'll pay their loan fees....then they can go back to Liverpool or wherever they came from.

I'm sorry, but "the good old days"? When we were bottom half of the league and couldn't attract anyone decent to come play for us, so had to play the likes of O'Brien and Callum Ball?

And besides, I think we're still bleeding through youngsters - Bennett, Thomas, Hanson and Ssewankambo to name 4 in two seasons. Since when were we doing any better than that over the course of a season? I'd argue there is still a clear path to the first team, producing better quality, and at probably a more consistent rate than 5/6 years ago.

You've created something to moan about that doesn't exist. Again. Next time maybe wait 4 minutes and 52 seconds before deciding to post such nonsense...

God I sound like a miserable old so and so.

I know it's very exciting to be linked with another two signings but...Oh how I hark back to the days when it was our own list of good young talent who could come in and do well here.

When it was our own talent we were developing. Academy or Under 21.

I wonder how Wass feels these days, and whether there's still such a clear path from the academy to the first team.

I remember the pitch we were given of how proud we were and how it made our recruitment for the Academy easy, we were the place to come for young lads who knew they'd get a chance if they stood out no matter how old.

Category A? No need, we'll just go out and loan other clubs young uns instead.We'll pay their wages, we'll pay their loan fees....then they can go back to Liverpool or wherever they came from.

Ronnie, hypothetical situation for you here.

You're a rookie inexperienced manager been given your first managerial job at a club chasing promotion, the fans expect promotion and the pressure is on as 4 games in you have lost 4 midfielders to injury and you have a 0% win ratio. You face another promotion rival in just 3 games time.

The transfer window is closing, your star midfielder won't be back until next year, 2 are not back in training yet and one of which in court in a few weeks on a a violent disorder charge. The other missing midfielder is a 19 year old with 4 professional games to his name.

Some fans are already saying you need to keep your head down and win some games, no time to be quirky what do you do?

a) Sign a couple of extra bodies in midfield to strengthen the squad

or

b) Bring through to the first team a couple of youngsters that have not been part of the first team

Ronnie, hypothetical situation for you here.

You're a rookie inexperienced manager been given your first managerial job at a club chasing promotion, the fans expect promotion and the pressure is on as 4 games in you have lost 4 midfielders to injury and you have a 0% win ratio. You face another promotion rival in just 3 games time.

The transfer window is closing, your star midfielder won't be back until next year, 2 are not back in training yet and one of which in court in a few weeks on a a violent disorder charge. The other missing midfielder is a 19 year old with 4 professional games to his name.

Some fans are already saying you need to keep your head down and win some games, no time to be quirky what do you do?

a) Sign a couple of extra bodies in midfield to strengthen the squad

or

b) Bring through to the first team a couple of youngsters that have not been part of the first team

c) Do a McLaren last season and play injured players

Or option C :) 

Sorry if I'm calling you out again Ronnie, nothing personal, just feel like the timing would be awful now to start bringing in untried youth players and not only that the question is do we have any to bring through. Not sure how far back are the days you are harking after because I can't think of many that have broke through and become established players for us.

How many have slipped through the net and gone on to bigger better things compared to those that have drifted off down the leagues and even into semi pro football.

The youngsters we have been linked with loans for have a decent amount of experience as well, not youngsters with only U21's game time, Pritchard has played almost 100 professional games, Joao Teixeira 30+ games for Brighton.

I too think Paul Clement is mad for ignoring the earth-shattering talents of Alban Bunjaku and Tom Koblenz. The only feasible explanation is that we don't want other clubs to notice them, so it's much better to loan players from the Premier League who are slightly worse. 

Or option C :) 

Sorry if I'm calling you out again Ronnie, nothing personal, just feel like the timing would be awful now to start bringing in untried youth players and not only that the question is do we have any to bring through. Not sure how far back are the days you are harking after because I can't think of many that have broke through and become established players for us.

How many have slipped through the net and gone on to bigger better things compared to those that have drifted off down the leagues and even into semi pro football.

The youngsters we have been linked with loans for have a decent amount of experience as well, not youngsters with only U21's game time, Pritchard has played almost 100 professional games, Joao Teixeira 30+ games for Brighton.

Cannot argue or disagree with any of that if I'm honest, very persuasive.... But I can see the counter argument, in that he is a rookie 'manager' so will it appear to players that he doesn't have the confidence to try and get the best out of what he has and is trying to buy his way out of a mini crisis? Won't players like Dawkins or Ssewankambo think, this was my chance to break through and bag a starting spot...if not now when?  Of course realistically, if the money was there 90% of people would splash the cash though!

It does amaze me sometimes. 4 injuries to our midfield and we already have the one youth player we wanted to step up being one of them and some want to go deeper into the youth set up to blood others!! 

When we are being regularly successful and need to blood 1-2 in at a time when it suits I'm sure the guy who as many tout is the best up and coming COACH will know when is suitable for those he has regular understanding of. 

The alternative and sensible and correct course is to do exactly what he is doing. Find other good players with a track history who he can also coach to be better and fit into our team and not shatter the confidence of out young ones if they fail in such a tight situation. 

Tombo, do me a favour if you can bonny lad. Give it a rest for a while about me moaning would you?

It's getting really tiring for me not to be able to discuss ANYTHING without some kind of narky sarcy response.

Nonsensical? Why?

I'm not discussing JUST this one loan, I'm talking about Ibe, Lingaard, Wisdom, Bamford, Mascarell, CARROLL, ADAM SMITH.. all players we've loaned who've made varying degrees of impact but who are now elsewhere.

And to push a stage further how many first team appearances have that lot you've listed made in the last two years? I'm not just talking about under Clement.

I'm aware the quality of the first team has improved so the youngsters have to be so much better than they were before.

I understand it, I get it. i don't have to like it.

I just prefer to see our own lads come through, now please, stop over dramatising every point I make. It made me proud when it happened before, that's the kind of team I want to get behind.

You feel free to do whatever you want, I won't call it nonsensical.

You asked me to give it a rest the other day on Clement, I'll ask for the same from you, give me a break and allow me to discuss things without turning it into another thread where you have a go at me and then no doubt others jump on the bandwagon.

I've got to answer it, then it starts, then I'm moaning even more, then I'm complaining,, ffs all I want to do is post.

Have you not realised yet that it's always you who takes it to a personal level? To sum up both of our posts in this thread.

You: I don't think we bring through enough youngsters.

Me: The time isn't right but we've got many on the cusp of the team. It's a negative response because results aren't peachy right now, which people just seem to be doing left right and centre.

You: WAH! You're always out to get me Tombo! I'm such a victim! :cry:

Taking pages from the Mario Balotelli playbook I see - the "Why Always Me?" tactic.

Have you not realised yet that it's always you who takes it to a personal level? To sum up both of our posts in this thread.

You: I don't think we bring through enough youngsters.

Me: The time isn't right but we've got many on the cusp of the team. It's a negative response because results aren't peachy right now, which people just seem to be doing left right and centre.

You: WAH! You're always out to get me Tombo! I'm such a victim! :cry:

Taking pages from the Mario Balotelli playbook I see - the "Why Always Me?" tactic.

or how about this.

I make a point which I think is fairly reasonable. I don't tell anyone they're wrong I don't even mention anyone else's viewpoint. I don't mention Clement at all, I do mention the other previous two managers doing the same thing.

You say it's non-sensical.

Then end it by saying I'm moaning for moaning sakes.

I made two comments last night one here and one on the dawkins is a special player thread, where I started off using the words love and respect and highly valueing opinions both of them turned into weird threads where I've been told again I'm argumentative and moaning.

I don't see too many others facing that.

I take it to a personal view?

or how about this.

I make a point which I think is fairly reasonable. I don't tell anyone they're wrong I don't even mention anyone else's viewpoint. I don't mention Clement at all, I do mention the other previous two managers doing the same thing.

You say it's non-sensical.

Then end it by saying I'm moaning for moaning sakes.

I made two comments last night one here and one on the dawkins is a special player thread, where I started off using the words love and respect and highly valueing opinions both of them turned into weird threads where I've been told again I'm argumentative and moaning.

I don't see too many others facing that.

I take it to a personal view?

There's only one common denominator in all these arguments you keep getting into.

TobyWanKenobi

There's only one common denominator in all these arguments you keep getting into.

They start with Ronnie stating his opinion and an army of people jump down his throat?

That's not just Ronnie who's not allowed an opinion, that's a familiar theme on this forum.

If Clement thinks it's best to bring players in, then that's what he should do.

Don't know how many times I can say that I'm not talking about this current situation but the overall.

I think it's impossible for me to "crticise" Clement on this one. 

There is a c) option though which is seemingly being looked at and that's the one I'm not so keen on.

c) go out and loan another 19 year old who hasn't been part of the first team but he hasn't been part of the first team at a higher level so he must be the dogs ********.

I don't agree that they always are and mentioned quite rightly Carroll and Adam Smith as two duffers. Sigining a kid from up above is as much of a risk as throwing in Hanson, who we already know can do a job.

*** Somehow the big in grey has turned into SRG comments, they're not his obviously, they're the first part of my reply to @Daveo

c) go out and loan another 19 year old who hasn't been part of the first team but he hasn't been part of the first team at a higher level so he must be the dogs ********.

I don't agree that they always are and mentioned quite rightly Carroll and Adam Smith as two duffers. Sigining a kid from up above is as much of a risk as throwing in Hanson, who we already know can do a job.

I think somebody like pritchard is slightly different as most of us have seen that he's a decent player.

Not if they have league experience through loans. You can't possibly say Pritchard is a bigger risk than picking Hanson.

I'm proud to say though, that I've never gone to the level of calling someone a window licker and never will.

I try to avoid rows at all costs, I try to defuse them by stating and then re-stating and then explaining and then backing up my point with stats.

I don't know why so many people find that annoying and argumentative.

I'm proud to say though, that I've never gone to the level of calling someone a window licker and never will.

I try to avoid rows at all costs, I try to defuse them by stating and then re-stating and then explaining and then backing up my point with stats.

I don't know why so many people find that annoying and argumentative.

Heaven help us.

Archived