Possibly two new signings?

cloughandtaylor

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paul Clement: Derby boss targets 'one or two' signings

Derby head coach Paul Clement says he would like to bring "one or two" new signings to the Championship club before the transfer window closes.

The Rams have been linked with a bid for Forest winger Michail Antonio.

"We are still pushing and negotiations are taking place privately, from our side anyway," the former Real Madrid coach told BBC Radio Derby.

"Definitely one and possibly two. We hope to be able to do something before the window shuts."

Derby have drawn all four of their league games this season and currently sit 16th in the early-season Championship table.

The transfer window closes at 18:00 BST on Tuesday, 1 September and Clement says he is happy to use the loan market if need-be.

"If they are not both permanents then we have that loan window to do something else," he added.

"Some of the young talent are trying to push hard to get in the first team at their respective Premier League clubs.

"It's a little bit of a waiting game. We have a list of good young talent who we think could come in and do well here, but a lot depends on how they do at their parent clubs."

God I sound like a miserable old so and so.

I know it's very exciting to be linked with another two signings but...Oh how I hark back to the days when it was our own list of good young talent who could come in and do well here.

When it was our own talent we were developing. Academy or Under 21.

I wonder how Wass feels these days, and whether there's still such a clear path from the academy to the first team.

I remember the pitch we were given of how proud we were and how it made our recruitment for the Academy easy, we were the place to come for young lads who knew they'd get a chance if they stood out no matter how old.

Category A? No need, we'll just go out and loan other clubs young uns instead.We'll pay their wages, we'll pay their loan fees....then they can go back to Liverpool or wherever they came from.

I know it's very exciting to be linked with another two signings but...Oh how I hark back to the days when it was our own list of good young talent who could come in and do well here.

I wonder how Wass feels these days, and whether there's still such a clear path from the academy to the first team.

I remember the pitch we were given of how proud we were and how it made our recruitment for the Academy easy, we were the place to come for young lads who knew they'd get a chance if they stood out no matter how old.

Category A? No need, we'll just go out and loan other clubs young uns instead.We'll pay their wages, we'll pay their loan fees....then they can go back to Liverpool or wherever they came from.

PC has promoted Hanson and Ssewankambo to the first team squad this season so still a clear path from the academy and development set up.

Maybe the injuries to Hughes and Bryson have contributed to the need to bring in real quality....my only concern would be if the new additions weren't top quality. If they are average then I would prefer we promote from within.

Being very unfair there. If they are good enough, they will play. 

Hanson and Ssewankambo have both had their chance within the first five games in all competitions, and Calero has been named on the bench. 

Two players: my guess is one winger and one central midfielder. 

I assume/hope that the midfielder is Jacob Butterfield and the winger is Alex Pritchard, or failing that Michail Antonio. I wouldn't be so unhappy at that. 

thorne, ince, bent, martin. All loans which were made permanent... 

Ince, Bent and Martin were hardly other teams youngsters. 

I'm not talking about bringing in established players with a number of appearance behind them. that I can agree with.

I'm talking about bringing in youth who have hardly played for their own first team.

Blimey, Bents nearly old enough to be Will's granddad.

PC has promoted Hanson and Ssewankambo to the first team squad this season so still a clear path from the academy and development set up.

Maybe the injuries to Hughes and Bryson have contributed to the need to bring in real quality....my only concern would be if the new additions weren't top quality. If they are average then I would prefer we promote from within.

Wasn't aimed at PC, more the policy over the last couple of seasons, it started long before PC got here and I'm not after dishing the stick in his direction.

The average loan is my concern as well, how do we know how good they are if they've not played first team football, we've occasionally brought in players, let them make their mistakes with us, let them get experience with us, then go back.

Lingaard, Ibe and I'll throw a couple of Nige's in there as well, cos he did it as well, Carroll and Smith were shockers, I'd rather have had Will and Kieron play, they were both better alternatives.

That's the kind of loan I'm against, if we're going to have players learn their trade and make mistakes that cost us, I'd rather they were ours.

No, but the point is the "good old days" have gone, and this is, for right or wrong, the way that a lot of transfers go nowadays.

If that means bringing in a player from a better youth setup than ours then I'm all for it. At least if they turn out to be ****, then we havent wasted good money on them. And if they are going to be too good for us, then it saves the hassle of them being tapped up and leaving at a later date anyway

One of the problems is that now our first team is so much better, the U21s have even further to progress than in previous seasons to make the team. Perhaps our near neighbours who have recently bragged about youngsters in their team should concede that it is because they have no choice, rather than based on merit.   

No, but the point is the "good old days" have gone, and this is, for right or wrong, the way that a lot of transfers go nowadays.

If that means bringing in a player from a better youth setup than ours then I'm all for it. At least if they turn out to be ****, then we havent wasted good money on them. And if they are going to be too good for us, then it saves the hassle of them being tapped up and leaving at a later date anyway

Nonsensical aint it? We're being linked with literally ONE bleedin' loan and now suddenly we're just chasing other clubs youngsters. Hanson, Ssewankambo, Rawson, Roos, Bennett, Thomas and Calero all seem to be at the last hurdle into the first team. Hanson maybe slightly further ahead. Just the last barrier to break through for all of them to prove they've got what it takes. All youngsters in football have to do this in breaking into the first team. You don't just get a run in the side out of nowhere unless injuries hit hard and you're called upon. Arguably that's the situation we're in now, and Hanson got his chance.

Moaning for moanings sake sometimes.

Nonsensical aint it? We're being linked with literally ONE bleedin' loan and now suddenly we're just chasing other clubs youngsters. Hanson, Ssewankambo, Rawson, Roos, Bennett, Thomas and Calero all seem to be at the last hurdle into the first team. Hanson maybe slightly further ahead. Just the last barrier to break through for all of them to prove they've got what it takes. All youngsters in football have to do this in breaking into the first team. You don't just get a run in the side out of nowhere unless injuries hit hard and you're called upon. Arguably that's the situation we're in now, and Hanson got his chance.

if its good enough for prem teams to loan us their prospects to make their mistakes here, why aren't we loaning out our youngsters to make their mistakes lower down the food chain, rather than having them make mistakes here (!)

Tombo, do me a favour if you can bonny lad. Give it a rest for a while about me moaning would you?

It's getting really tiring for me not to be able to discuss ANYTHING without some kind of narky sarcy response.

Nonsensical? Why?

I'm not discussing JUST this one loan, I'm talking about Ibe, Lingaard, Wisdom, Bamford, Mascarell, CARROLL, ADAM SMITH.. all players we've loaned who've made varying degrees of impact but who are now elsewhere.

And to push a stage further how many first team appearances have that lot you've listed made in the last two years? I'm not just talking about under Clement.

I'm aware the quality of the first team has improved so the youngsters have to be so much better than they were before.

I understand it, I get it. i don't have to like it.

I just prefer to see our own lads come through, now please, stop over dramatising every point I make. It made me proud when it happened before, that's the kind of team I want to get behind.

You feel free to do whatever you want, I won't call it nonsensical.

You asked me to give it a rest the other day on Clement, I'll ask for the same from you, give me a break and allow me to discuss things without turning it into another thread where you have a go at me and then no doubt others jump on the bandwagon.

I've got to answer it, then it starts, then I'm moaning even more, then I'm complaining,, ffs all I want to do is post.

I'm disappointed that bunjaku can't seem to get in the squad......even for the match v Pompey in the cheesy wotsit cup

but there's time i guess,

The problem some have mentioned on here is why isn't many players coming through the youth set up?

The squad of the first team is now so strong that not many of the youth team will be good enough to it in, so its sort of a nice problem to have.

There are some players coming through Hanson especially, but not all youth players make it through to the first team, those not good enough drop down a division or two.

As for which two ne signings PC wants - I am under the impression that who ever they are - they will fit in, simple because the signings made this season have all been good, Bent, Ince, Shacks, Baird, Weimann and Pearce - all I feel have added extra quality to the team.

2x midfielders?

Archived