Solid start to the season

Albert

We have coped a lot better this season with injuries then we did last year. 

Last year the main issues was the defence, but as we can see that has vastly improved. Keogh looks fantastic and is forming a great partnership with Shackell and the full-backs haven't had one bad game.

One thing we know about this team is that we can score goals and as soon as we start clicking we are going to be a force!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We seem to have traded off our abysmal defensive performances at the end of last season with our ability to score goals result looks net net at the moment. As for Clement bring under pressure he looked very uncomfortable every time the camera panned to him looked like he's feeling it a bit already 

Four points from four games is poor, especially adding a League Cup defeat to Portsmouth.

At Bolton and Pompey we played awful, but three points from the last three games is wholly unjust with the way we've played. Actually, it's a crime we've only picked up three points.

Defensively we've given very little away and all the goals conceded have come as a result of deflections.

I'm optimistic for a top six spot. Reckon we have the potential to go on a long unbeaten run too, with the highest I can remember since Jim Smith's promotion in 95/96 being the nine league matches last season.

That's nice to see a big shift in your mentality since a day or two ago Bris when you couldn't see a top 6 finish without a big change. It was a good point and a good second half performance but I still can't bring myself to change my mind as quickly as that. I'm a little bit calmer but I've still got nagging doubts.

Every game without a win makes the next game massive.

A solid start for me would be won our two home games drawn the two away. I'm forgetting the Portsmouth result, not good but these things happen in cup football.

Eight points from twelve is solid to me, four really is pretty unsatisfactory but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt because Charlton and Birminghams goals were pretty jammy and the injury situation you can't legislate for.

The old boy needs a win, hope his AND the teams luck changes very soon.

Not even considered peeking at the table yet. 

Don't care who is on how many points.

I just want to see early signs that we can get into a groove and stay settled for the season. 

Bolton I thought we're going to be in trouble if this is the plan. Too narrow, too slow, too deep. More negatives by far than positives. The formation didn't fit. The way we wanted to play was too slow and the pressure we put ourselves under by being predictable and slow was stupid

Pompey was similar. Formation changed but I started to wonder if Clement had even the slightest idea of Football League football. Athleticism is one thing we have in abundance. Stop playing like we're in Serie A!!

But then there's been a massive improvement in the last 3 games. It's had a purpose. It's had width. It's had pace when needed and control when pace isn't so vital. The defending I find weird. Not bad, just weird. You don't see teams contain like we do unless they're hanging on. If teams are confident then they press. We don't really. We compact and contain. Different. 

Need a few more games before we start making judgments but at least we've learned fast from the opening games. We look purposeful and composed now. Good possession and territory. So yeah, it needs backing up by a win. 

You can see by the way we are controlling games,that the results will follow,also 4 centre midfielders out,and we are still dictating the game,we will have a good season I have no doubt about that,once we get that first win,you will see us go on a good run,so hoping we give Leeds a good going over,I hate Leeds with a passion,so I think we are due a bit of luck and goals,goals,goals against Leeds 4 nil to the mighty Rams,and then watch us go.

You can see by the way we are controlling games,that the results will follow,also 4 centre midfielders out,and we are still dictating the game,we will have a good season I have no doubt about that,once we get that first win,you will see us go on a good run,so hoping we give Leeds a good going over,I hate Leeds with a passion,so I think we are due a bit of luck and goals,goals,goals against Leeds 4 nil to the mighty Rams,and then watch us go.

excellent point ,  we just need that bit of luck , look at the 4 league games weve played ,  Bolton first game of season  anything could happen on opening day fixtures ,   Charlton whom had easily beat Q.P.R game prior to us ,  played with two banks of four  came for a draw ,  Boro  " the alledged Favorites for league  adopted a simular style of play to Charlton ,admit they did attack sightly more than Charlton,   Brum  not lost this season robust style of play  unlucky not to beat Burnley ,     We had them penned in there own half  for most of second half last night  plus i.ll throw into the equastion  that Charlton and Brum scored fluke goals against us  -  ive gone for a 3 - 1 win against Leeds  :thumbsup:

Mentally I compare results to last season. Just as an indicator of how the relativities are shifting. 

Based on this very crude indicator we are not keeping up with last year. We're a handful of points behind. 

Before the howls of derision descend on me I realise this is very simplistic. If anything it suggests we are still working our way back from the disastrous last qtr of last season. 

Clement will prove to be an unlucky manager and get sacked before Christmas.

4 points from the fixtures we've had is not good enough.

I've got £20 says he won't - proceeds to go to the charity of the winner's choice.

Are you on?

While I agree with some of what you say, I cannot agree with the title 'solid start to the season'. I would say it's a poor start but we're beginning to show signs of playing the brand of football that will take us towards the right end of the table.

Failing to beat Bolton, Charlton and Birmingham cannot be considered solid.

I don't think our defence looks particularly solid either. We don't have a full back on either flank that can defend as well as I would like, injuries mean we're having to play players in unfamiliar positions and our best player of the last couple of seasons is out of sorts under this new regime.

We have just come up against Adomah and Gray, arguably the 2 best wingers in the league, and neither have really had a sniff!

On his day Forsyth is probably in the top 3 left backs in this division.

Got to look at the results in context.

We finished last season in relegation form, relying on goals from Ince and Bent to keep a respectable finish. 4 league games in and we have conceded three goals, all involving a deflection at some point. Had we won two of our games, which we fully deserved to, then I think we'd all be impressed. I think you can clearly see signs we are starting to gel. We are dominating possession, creating chances and have a solid defence, you would fully expect that to result in a good season.

What our team needs is a confidence boost, an attacking confidence, the sort that I think a win will create. Yet, we have gone behind in three matches and not given up, so the desire is there.

Looking at last night, Birmingham haven't lost at home since February(I think), they hadn't played a midweek game, throw in that we have 4 central midfielders out injured, just makes the way we played even more impressive.

A solid start with plenty of promise and we shall do just fine this season.

Solid start to the season?

4 draws, of which 3 against Bolton, Charlton and Brum - I bet most on here will have thought that at the start of the season we would take 6 pts from them three. With respect to those 3 teams they are not going to be battling out for promotion they are what I would call the beatables...

I think we have improved since the Bolton game, tightened up defence, that seems solid enough, yes lost a couple in midfield, but I already thought in pre season the midfield was the weakest link, as at the time we needed another play maker along side of WH- we deffo do now!

We looked good against a team that didn't sit back last night, but I think we didn't have that magic spark in front of goal, that will come because we do have 2 of the best strikers in the division. I am hoping this will come sooner than later because every game brings pressure on the players and PC for that win.....

No, not solid for me, everything is based on results and 4pts out of 12 is poor.

We need that first win!

I think once that does come in the rest will fall into place!

Bolton aside, the league performances have warranted more than 4 points.

To look at last seasons results against those teams..

Bolton (A) Won last year, -2

Charlton (H) Won last year, -2

Boro (H) Lost last year, +1

Brum (A) Won last year, -2

So we're 5 points down.

Birmingham are a better team than they were last December. Charlton have also improved, and we were poor against Bolton, and arguably, they've improved too. Boro looked about the same, but they look like they'll be competing at the top.

Save for some dreadful bad luck, hitting the woodwork, finger tip saves - we could, perhaps should, be better off.

I'm not worried, we've had 3 key midfielders injured in a gelling team, and not looked any worse for it.

Archived