The view from the outside 15/16

Ambitious

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't realise how much Rotherham fans loved Rawson. Hope they're on the tellybox 

Friday 2nd October Rotherham v Burnley 19.45 on sky sports channel so put that on your diary just in case!

Friday 2nd October Rotherham v Burnley 19.45 on sky sports channel so put that on your diary just in case!

Yeah! Want a look at him. They can't believe they've got him back. Think they rate him higher than all their other defenders. 

Yeah! Want a look at him. They can't believe they've got him back. Think they rate him higher than all their other defenders. 

They do, but from what I saw on the Rotherham forums when they loaned him the first time, that's not saying much.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd give this thread a bump with some stuff. Was browsing through a random Championship forum to see what deals were close to being completed and I came across a thread titled "Which Championship Midfielders will be head and shoulders above the rest next season?" Quite a lot has been said about Hughes in there:

Wolves fan: Huddlestone & Fer will end up moving to Premier League clubs before the window slams shut.
Adam Clayton, Grant Leadbitter, Will Hughes, Beram Kayal, Kevin McDonald, David Jones, Jacob Butterfield, David Meyler, Henri Lansbury and Danny Williams are 10 of the best centre midfielders IMO.
I don't think any of them will be 'head and shoulders' above the rest though, apart from maybe Will Hughes.

Different Wolves fan: Hughes is a brilliant player. Too good for this league.

Forest fan: Top teams don't wait until a player is ready before buying him. If he's considered to have real potential they buy and then loan out. Hughes has never lived up to the initial hype and needs a really good season soon, otherwise it will all pass him by.

Derby fan: Hughes is a combination of Lazy journalists reporting 'interest' from top clubs and nerds who think FIFA and Football manager stats are relevant in real football. 

Both Derby fans in that particular thread are criticising Hughes, bit strange. And the Forest fan's comments were well wide of the mark as you'd expect. Thorne also got a couple of mentions in the thread as well

Thought I'd give this thread a bump with some stuff. Was browsing through a random Championship forum to see what deals were close to being completed and I came across a thread titled "Which Championship Midfielders will be head and shoulders above the rest next season?" Quite a lot has been said about Hughes in there:

Wolves fan: Huddlestone & Fer will end up moving to Premier League clubs before the window slams shut.
Adam Clayton, Grant Leadbitter, Will Hughes, Beram Kayal, Kevin McDonald, David Jones, Jacob Butterfield, David Meyler, Henri Lansbury and Danny Williams are 10 of the best centre midfielders IMO.
I don't think any of them will be 'head and shoulders' above the rest though, apart from maybe Will Hughes.

Different Wolves fan: Hughes is a brilliant player. Too good for this league.

Forest fan: Top teams don't wait until a player is ready before buying him. If he's considered to have real potential they buy and then loan out. Hughes has never lived up to the initial hype and needs a really good season soon, otherwise it will all pass him by.

Derby fan: Hughes is a combination of Lazy journalists reporting 'interest' from top clubs and nerds who think FIFA and Football manager stats are relevant in real football. 

Both Derby fans in that particular thread are criticising Hughes, bit strange. And the Forest fan's comments were well wide of the mark as you'd expect. Thorne also got a couple of mentions in the thread as well

Have you or do you listen to Will Hughes interviews from when he was a boy, via the football manager doco up to the interview today?

Will seems to be so grounded and modest, who is also very critical of himself. 

Someone posted today on the match thread that "Will should strut around with a swagger". The thing is, he doesn't and he's not that type of guy to think too much of himself -- probably testament to his upbringing -- and in the long term it will be to his benefit as and when he becomes the complete play-maker/midfielder.

To me what makes him so good, is that he doesn't think he's all that and wants to improve on what he is.

If Hughes had half his intelligence and awareness but a decent long range shot then people would love him universally. People jizz their pants over "end product". Nobody seems to be concerned of how you get to that end product consistently. 

Then scratch their heads at why foreign sides can play such an expansive game. British football just loves it's all action running, shooting and crunching tackling midfielders. Of course there's a place for them. 

As for Huddlestone, when I've seen him for Hull he's been a donkey. Hull fans don't seem to rate him at all. Seems to waste some serious natural ability by being lazy. Easy pass rather than the right pass. Got the attention span of Jeff Hendrick on a bad day. All broken up by the odd great long ball or shot. 

Have you or do you listen to Will Hughes interviews from when he was a boy, via the football manager doco up to the interview today?

Will seems to be so grounded and modest, who is also very critical of himself. 

Someone posted today on the match thread that "Will should strut around with a swagger". The thing is, he doesn't and he's not that type of guy to think too much of himself -- probably testament to his upbringing -- and in the long term it will be to his benefit as and when he becomes the complete play-maker/midfielder.

To me what makes him so good, is that he doesn't think he's all that and wants to improve on what he is.

He's quite self-deprecating in his latest interview. Said he doesn't normally shoot from far out because he can't get it to go the distance, and called the 50/50 he went in for a half-hearted header. 

As for Huddlestone, when I've seen him for Hull he's been a donkey. Hull fans don't seem to rate him at all. Seems to waste some serious natural ability by being lazy. Easy pass rather than the right pass. Got the attention span of Jeff Hendrick on a bad day. All broken up by the odd great long ball or shot. 

Yep, for a player who started off as a defender he offers absolutely zero defensive qualities from midfield - even at his peak (at Spurs) you could see how easy it was for any team with decent midfielders would just pass it around him whilst he lumbered around in their vicinity.

When his teammates have the ball he often does that thing of standing he in a position where the only player who'd be able to get the ball to him would be... himself, hiding from receiving the ball!

I wouldn't have him anywhere near our team.

Chris Berra the latest person to comment on Derby's spending:

“The Championship is such a crazy league that if you get a bit of momentum going almost anything can happen.

“There’s been a lot of big spending going on. Derby have splashed the cash and that’s their way. They are a big club and it puts a lot of pressure on them to go up.

“But that’s the way they are going to go and they will be looking to go up automatically.

“We’re just worrying about ourselves. We don’t spend that much but there is still pressure. There is the expectation of the fans, for a start, because they expect us to do better.

“We also put pressure on ourselves as professionals – we want to go out and perform every week and we’re very proud so we want to keep our standards very high.

“There is pressure in every game, even the pre-season friendlies, because it’s all about winning. We’re not always going to play fancy football.

“Sometimes we might play well and score a few goals but generally speaking in the Championship you never know what is going to happen.”

I don't think it's a moan, he sounds quite reasoned with his analysis. 

Chris Berra the latest person to comment on Derby's spending:

I don't think it's a moan, he sounds quite reasoned with his analysis. 

Bit of mind games, trying to put pressure on us.

He's right though, when Clement first got here I thought that playoff contenders should be the aim, but since we've splashed the cash this much, that can't be acceptable now surely?

Bit of mind games, trying to put pressure on us.

He's right though, when Clement first got here I thought that playoff contenders should be the aim, but since we've splashed the cash this much, that can't be acceptable now surely?

As long as we finish in the play-offs, I doubt anyone will be moody. I think it depends on the players' body language and performances too. 

I think this team is too good and experienced to finish outside the top six, and should finish in the top two, but if we finish 4/5th I wouldn't be too bothered.

Christophe Berra went to my school. He still held the bleep test record when we had a go at it. Don't remember his exact score but it was an obscene amount. 

Is bleep the new sausage?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived