Under 21s & Academy 15/16

cheron85

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Great result. How does the table look now?

7 point lead over Villa who have 2 to play, 8 point lead over Arsenal who have 4 to play.

A win next Monday will make it certain, but even a draw would leave Arsenal having to win their other 3 games to pip Derby.

4 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Any feedback on how Will fared - assuming he played?

He tweeted saying he got through 60 minutes ok. Not too sure about his performance. As long as he doesn't feel it too much in morning, all that matters is that he finally got on the pitch in a competitive game.

Here's the link to the table:

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matchday/barclays-u21-premier-league-tables.html?paramYouthStage=NATIONAL

For those asking about Hughes' hour on the pitch, Delap said:

“Will's performance was very impressive and he really got us ticking in the midfield area, playing some lovely through balls.

“It got the lads really playing having Will back. Every time he got the ball he looked to move it forward and we looked dangerous every time we got the ball into him.

“Having said that, we can’t take anything away from all the other lads on the pitch – everyone was fantastic and played a key part in the win.

“Will was very good and looked really sharp for saying that he’s been out since August.

“Hopefully the game has given him some well-needed confidence after coming back from such a serious injury.”

I've highlighted the bit I especially liked!

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

“It got the lads really playing having Will back. Every time he got the ball he looked to move it forward and we looked dangerous every time we got the ball into him.

He won't fit into our system then.

11 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

A system of playing square pegs in round holes, and sometimes, for variation, round pegs in square holes.

Ah, right. I thought for a minute you meant 'cistern', and were implying that everything was heading down the toilet. We should be so lucky - our turds are floaters.

DIVISION 2

POS  CLUB            P   W  D  L  GF GA GD  PTS

1 Derby U21           21  13  3  5  43  24  19  42

2 Aston Villa U21   20  10  5  5  23  23    0  35

3 Arsenal U21        18  10  4  4  33  18   15  34

4 West Ham U21    21   9   5  7  35  31    4   32

22 match season. Derby cannot finish lower than second in the League and if they finish second they will be in the four team Play Offs.

If Arsenal win on friday against Newcastle United at home, we will need to beat Arsenal on monday to become Champions on monday11th at iPro at 7pm

If Arenal lose or draw on friday, Derby will only need a draw against Arsenal on moday11th at iPro at 7pm to be Champions

Arsenal need eight more points and a better goal difference than us or nine points irrespective of goal difference from their four remaining games to be Champions. After monday, Arsenal will have two remaining games.

I genuinely think that the U21's win over Fulham will have created a buzz around the club and training ground that could have fed through to the first team for the Hull match. If the first 11 beat Bolton well on Saturday that optimism will come full circle for the U21s, especially with Will turning out again as he builds fitness and sharpness.

And then, if the U21s can gain promotion against the Gooners, it's another positive feedback loop and that should roll back into the first team, helped with Will getting a place on the bench soon.

Back in 1971/72 the reserves *remember them" won the Central League as well as the first 11 becoming League Champions and Cloughie seemed equally proud of both of them. Success breeds success.

9 minutes ago, North_Stand_Ram said:

Wenger on @JackWilshere: "Let's not rush him. He will play for the under-21s tomorrow but I'm cautious." arsn.al/watchlive

hope he's not at the iPro on Monday... Could really do us over

I'd be surprised if a Derby first teamer isn't added to the squad should Wilshere be fit. Obviously would still be a troubling opponent regardless. 

Archived