Under 21s & Academy 15/16

cheron85

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Enjoyed the game. We played some lovely football (the Derby Way? )

Calero has a sublime touch to instantly control the ball. Sometimes his quick passes don't come off but more often they do. Midfield played as a unit with good understanding and even when Elsnik came off Vernam slotted in and played well. 

Zanzala played really well up front, Thomas much improved too. You wouldn't spot the £1m+ striker! Actually after a shaky start Camara played some nice stuff. Only criticism of front line is they were a bit wasteful with their chances. Lovely to see some pace up there. 

Defence looked good although WBA were a bit disappointing until they went 0-2 and started to attack. When we did have to defend we did it well and got in some good blocks. Both full backs were impressive. 

Enjoyable match. 

Rivas - 7 Performed very well made one save at the feet and had one dodgy one handed punch.  He's not a huge imposing guy but he's safe.

Stabana 8.5 was excellent. Not as tricky as Christie but has pace strength is a strong passer and is fearless. No one got past him. Future star? 

mcdonald 6.5 solid and also offered the opposition very little 

koblenz 7 he was solid and applied a ton of pressure on their forwards

rawson 7 good game and good captain - strong in the air and his headed clearances often found derby players.

kimi tiki Elsnik 7 he was also quite solid in that holding role. Did little wrong.Good ball winner

Guy 7.5 this guy is aggressive has surprising speed and a nice touch . Ran his socks off 

Calero 8.5 if you go by this performance he's a slightly quicker slightly craftier and slightly better without the ball than Butterfield but they are similar players. First team games are forthcoming .

camara 7.5 very good performance but you wouldn't know he was the first team player out there although he excels at getting dangerous crosses in .

zanzala 9 the man is a future star, and future could be next season or a few games from now. Power pace he's an absolute menace to defenders. Keeps the ball well runs at defenders and makes them make mistakes. Plus he can finish !

kwame 7 kwame could have and should have scored twice. His talent is that he can jump like a fish and if you hoof a ball up he actually beats the centre halves to the ball most of the time. He can pass and  doesn't lose the ball much but has poor end product 

overall a very good display - the team attacked with purpose and it was entertainng to watch that Calero razza kwame and Zanzala combo. Lots of pace and passion.  This team would have probably beaten MK Dons and wolves quite comfortably. Not a bad player performance out there. If this is the handiwork of DW then good days may lie ahead. Martin hendrick and Butterfield are far more static than the attacking contingent here. We need to fix that because it's not effective and it's boring. 

Nice to see DW there supporting all the players shaking each mans hand before the game and Hanson with his mates . 

13 minutes ago, Palmo said:

And people think Mel has no idea what he's talking about!

There have been people on here suggesting that the academy is a waste of time. Perhaps Billy Davies has a logon id?

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

Rivas - 7 Performed very well made one save at the feet and had one dodgy one handed punch.  He's not a huge imposing guy but he's safe.

Stabana 8.5 was excellent. Not as tricky as Christie but has pace strength is a strong passer and is fearless. No one got past him. Future star? 

rawson 7 good game and good captain - strong in the air and his headed clearances often found derby players.

kimi tiki Elsnik 7 he was also quite solid in that holding role. Did little wrong.Good ball winner

Guy 7.5 this guy is aggressive has surprising speed and a nice touch . Ran his socks off 

Calero 8.5 if you go by this performance he's a slightly quicker slightly craftier and slightly better without the ball than Butterfield but they are similar players. First team games are forthcoming .

camara 7.5 very good performance but you wouldn't know he was the first team player out there although he excels at getting dangerous crosses in .

zanzala 9 the man is a future star, and future could be next season or a few games from now. Power pace he's an absolute menace to defenders. Keeps the ball well runs at defenders and makes them make mistakes. Plus he can finish !

kwame 7 kwame could have and should have scored twice. His talent is that he can jump like a fish and if you hoof a ball up he actually beats the centre halves to the ball most of the time. He can pass and  doesn't lose the ball much but has poor end product 

overall a very good display - the team attacked with purpose and it was entertainng to watch that Calero razza kwame and Zanzala combo. Lots of pace and passion.  This team would have probably beaten MK Dons and wolves quite comfortably. Not a bad player performance out there. If this is the handiwork of DW then good days may lie ahead. Martin hendrick and Butterfield are far more static than the attacking contingent here. We need to fix that because it's not effective and it's boring. 

Nice to see DW there supporting all the players shaking each mans hand before the game and Hanson with his mates . 

I didn't actually think that any of the front three were particularly good. I'd have put Calero as MOTM, but all of the back four plus the keeper looked very solid. Interesting to note that Stabana is only 17. I loved that when he tackled anyone, they stayed tackled. Fully agree that he's going to be a star.

12 hours ago, angieram said:

Enjoyed the game. We played some lovely football (the Derby Way? )

Calero has a sublime touch to instantly control the ball. Sometimes his quick passes don't come off but more often they do. Midfield played as a unit with good understanding and even when Elsnik came off Vernam slotted in and played well. 

Zanzala played really well up front, Thomas much improved too. You wouldn't spot the £1m+ striker! Actually after a shaky start Camara played some nice stuff. Only criticism of front line is they were a bit wasteful with their chances. Lovely to see some pace up there. 

Defence looked good although WBA were a bit disappointing until they went 0-2 and started to attack. When we did have to defend we did it well and got in some good blocks. Both full backs were impressive. 

Enjoyable match. 

Hopefully without embarrassing you, Angieram, I just wanted to thank you on two bases: first, as one who loves both writing and who enjoys reading others who write well and who understand the importance of cadence in communicating a message...I have read a number of your posts and must say you do write very well. I have observed over time a beautiful, consistent - and, I hope you don't mind me saying, a very English style. I generally only scan most posts so it says a great deal that I have registered a particular style to a username. I sometimes realise that I am unconsciously reading your posts in a particular English female voice.

Before you most likely start wondering if I might be some sort of stalker, please allow me to reassure you that I am in Australia...

The second thank you is for encouraging me to seek out highlights of Calero. I'd long since forgotten we had him in the U21s. You have me looking forward to seeing him and a number of others. Please continue posting such assessments; it is a little difficult to keep tabs from the colonies at times!

12 hours ago, Ninos said:

Thank you Ninos. This too is excellent.

I must find a more consistent way to follow the progress of these boys.

Between the glowing assessment of Angieram and yourself on Calero, I am not only looking forward to seeing him in action, I may develop a full-on man crush on a kid I've barely seen play!

Archived