Under 21s & Academy 15/16

cheron85

Derby County U21s: Mitchell, Stabana, Rawson, Buxton, Macdonald; Koblenz (Elsnik, 69), Guy, Hughes; Gordon (Cover, 80), Calero, Zanzala (Vernam, 31)     Substitutes not used: Ravas, Babos

Arsenal U21s: Macey, Johnson, Bola, Sheaf, Bielik, Pleguezuelo, Nelson, Reine-Adelaide, Mavididi (Hinds, 46), Crowley, Willock   Substitutes not used: Keto, Robinson, Da Silva, Pileas

Score: Derby County 1 - Arsenal 2

Scorers: Derby - Vernam: Arsenal  Mavididi, Hinds,

Attendance: 2,337 at IPro Stadium

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both Swansea and WBA can still make the Play Offs so both will want to beat Arsenal.

Derby/Arsenal and Aston Villa are in the Play Offs 

Swansea need 1 point to be certain to reach Play Offs but may need 0 points

WBA need at least one point and need to get a better result than Blackburn to reach the Play Offs

Play Offs line up: Derby/Arsenal; Aston Villa, Two of Swansea, West Ham, Stoke, WBA, Blackburn

Derby cannot play Aston Villa in the semi finals of the Play Offs

first time i've gone to an U21 game. Arsenals forwards were far better than ours. their No7 was quality and i think the brought on the guy who scored the winner at half time who looked pretty quick. their No10 looked very tricky.

as for us we have some good players but arsenal were better (still not sure why they are in the 2nd division). callum guy looks a good prospect. think he needs a bit more freedom to run the game and be more creative. i liked the look of zanzala, to me he was giving their defence a battering before seriously injuring himself but i missed what happened. seemed to be off the ball but looked quite bad.

Kelen gordon? he looks like a very good player and is still a U18 i think. very tricky.

Will did some good stuff but at times looked of the pace which is to be expected.

an enjoyable evening of football though really. my high points were the guy 4 seats away that tried all game to get everyone singing and all the DCFC kids who joined in. especially when they all bounced. felt sorry for the poor ball boys who were tiny and spent all night in the rain but having watched them having a kick about before i hope they are on our books!

We can still be automatic Champions (slim chance) or make it through the Play Offs. Big issue for me is getting promotion at all costs. If the U21s are in the top Division and we bring a trialist to the Academy, he sees the faciilities, he sees that we are in the top Division and he signs up. Job done! Extremely talented youngsters want to play against the best players and then have excellent facilities, not the other way round.

One thing I noticed last night was how quiet Rory Delap was on the touchline. I was sat right next to the Arsenal dugout and they were very vocal. Arsenal had coaches in the technical area shouting instructions to the players and coaches on the bench were also shouting instructions to players. Delap and co were pretty much silent.

Just now, RicME85 said:

One thing I noticed last night was how quiet Rory Delap was on the touchline. I was sat right next to the Arsenal dugout and they were very vocal. Arsenal had coaches in the technical area shouting instructions to the players and coaches on the bench were also shouting instructions to players. Delap and co were pretty much silent.

Wassall was very animated when he was in charge. To be honest I feel a bit bad for Delap, he's very much been thrown into the deep end. 

5 minutes ago, RicME85 said:

That Wassall bloke would have sorted it out.

5 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Wassall was very animated when he was in charge. To be honest I feel a bit bad for Delap, he's very much been thrown into the deep end. 

It needed a good chorus of boos.

10 minutes ago, RicME85 said:

I noticed this too mate. Was very odd not to be organising and coaching these players. Two very different styles but which one is best? the Arsenal players were all very vocal also sorting out teammates etc, pushing Derby out and clearing the line

Just now, EnigmaRam said:

I noticed this too mate. Was very odd not to be organising and coaching these players. Two very different styles but which one is best? the Arsenal players were all very vocal also sorting out teammates etc, pushing Derby out and clearing the line

Well one of them is an experienced coaching team, the other is a team cobbled together after the primary coaching talent got suddenly ushered into the first team.

2 minutes ago, RicME85 said:

Tbf Bucko was very vocal, unfortunately 90% of it was directed at Koblenz who looked out of his depth even at that level 

He hasn't improved at all in the time he's been here. He'll likely be off soon, he's 21 in May.

Contract up in June. 

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Well one of them is an experienced coaching team, the other is a team cobbled together after the primary coaching talent got suddenly ushered into the first team.

And there was me thinking they were all professional coaches paid to coach the players. Might as well have the tea lady stand there with her arms folded for 90 mins!

Just now, EnigmaRam said:

And there was me thinking they were all professional coaches paid to coach the players. Might as well have the tea lady stand there with her arms folded for 90 mins!

Coaching the players and taking charge during a game are very different propositions, and the latter cannot be taught, is only developed through experience.

Delap has none, other than a handful of U18 games before making the step up to what is a very competitive level, for youth. 

Most coaches at U18 games are in that boat, learning their craft, and are generally far less vocal then u21/Senior coaches. 

13 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Coaching the players and taking charge during a game are very different propositions, and the latter cannot be taught, is only developed through experience.

Delap has none, other than a handful of U18 games before making the step up to what is a very competitive level, for youth. 

Most coaches at U18 games are in that boat, learning their craft, and are generally far less vocal then u21/Senior coaches. 

I bow to your infinite wisdom and now understand why nobody says a word down the racecourse on a Sunday. They aren't experienced enough

34 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

I bow to your infinite wisdom and now understand why nobody says a word down the racecourse on a Sunday. They aren't experienced enough

Don't be dense.

I'm just saying Delap's silence is most likely due to a lack of comfort with the position he's in. 

Archived