Under 21s & Academy 15/16

cheron85

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Tombo said:

I mean the only reason I say that is because loans can be iffy. For every Farrend Rawson "hit the ground running" success, you get at least a few Mason Bennett at Bradford and Calero at Burton horror stories.

We know that Hanson can compete in the Championship and play well, so I could see him going to a mid table or bottom half side and doing well. 

48 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Any idea who the opponents are in the next round or has the draw not been made yet?

I'm not 100% sure but a mate of mine is the dad of one of the players and he posted on facebook "Well done son, Wigan here we come" I don't know if that's cup or league.

It was a thoroughly entertaining game which Wet Spam bossed in the first half but after what must have been a good talking to at half-time the Young Rams came out and took the game to them.   WHU had some very useful players so dominating most of the remaining 75 minutes was no mean feat.

Special mentions for Carvell, Babos, Elsnik, Cresswell, Cover, Macdonald and Barnes, they were the pick for me with Josh Barnes giving a competent and mature display in goal whilst Alex Babos and James Carvell kept the Wet Spam defence on their toes, young Carvell is destined to rival Jamie Hanson as the best free-kick taker at the club.

THE FUTURE IS BRIGHT, THE FUTURE IS BLACK AND WHITE.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Duracell said:

Can someone in the know summarise how the U21s progressed in the last calendar year, and in particular, who stood out - and who should we be looking out for in 2016?

If we had played two or three over age players against Reading, we would be in Division One now. Excellent progress as a team. Shunting U21s into the first team squad has weakened the team but given some U18s the chance to step up to the U21s. Zanzala loks an excellent prospect. Rawson has gone to Rotherham so Cover is developing as A CB. Stabana is talented. Guy and Lowe will make it, i think. Others are on a plateau and need a loan. eg Thomas, Bunjaku, Santos, Bennett. Big mistake not getting promotion last year as we need to play the best teams available. Couple of players in from Slovenia and Denmark, need to time but look promising.

6 hours ago, Rampage said:

If we had played two or three over age players against Reading, we would be in Division One now. Excellent progress as a team. Shunting U21s into the first team squad has weakened the team but given some U18s the chance to step up to the U21s. Zanzala loks an excellent prospect. Rawson has gone to Rotherham so Cover is developing as A CB. Stabana is talented. Guy and Lowe will make it, i think. Others are on a plateau and need a loan. eg Thomas, Bunjaku, Santos, Bennett. Big mistake not getting promotion last year as we need to play the best teams available. Couple of players in from Slovenia and Denmark, need to time but look promising.

Cheers for that, Rampage.

From what I've seen of Zanzala, he's big and powerful but I wonder if that's the only reason he looks impressive at that level, like Mason Bennett.

What about Charles Vernam? AC Milan were meant to be in for him when we signed him back when Clough was still in charge, and I hear him popping up with goals every now and again, but I don't hear much about his performances.

33 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Cheers for that, Rampage.

From what I've seen of Zanzala, he's big and powerful but I wonder if that's the only reason he looks impressive at that level, like Mason Bennett.

What about Charles Vernam? AC Milan were meant to be in for him when we signed him back when Clough was still in charge, and I hear him popping up with goals every now and again, but I don't hear much about his performances.

Vernam has real quality. I do not know why they keep playing him in different positions. He was fine as he was.

Has a resemblance to Luke Thomas all though I've managed to convince myself that picture is of someone stockier and with darker hair. 

1 hour ago, WorksopRam said:

Bryson looks quite active in the training ground pictures. As does Buxton. And interesting to see Carson and the mystical Dawkins in quite a few. 

There IS a Dawkins?

Archived