Derby County v Charlton Athletic

Mafiabob

Left back is the only position I'm unsure on, so might well be.

I'd actually make it:

Carson

Baird    Keogh  Shackell   Forsyth

Thorne

Hendick   Dawkins

Ince                                  Russell

Martin

But I actually think he might just go with:

Carson

Christie   Keogh  Shackell  Warnock

Baird     Thorne

Russell            Ince            Weimann

Martin

My choice would be the first option, although second isn't too bad providing Ince isn't central. He's so much more dangerous out wide.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How can there even be a contest between Warnock and Forsyth.

One has been consistently one of the best full backs in the league and is a full international, the other hasn't been good for nearly 10 years and is one sneeze away from giving away a penalty every time he goes near the ball.

My choice would be the first option, although second isn't too bad providing Ince isn't central. He's so much more dangerous out wide.

I would hate the second one, because it means we'd resort to hoofing it again with almost no midfield whatsoever. Might get the result though, at the expense of horrid football.

I think he's more likely to go with 4-3-3 or the diamond, but I have an odd feeling that he might go with that 4-2-3-1 with Baird and Thorne, and Christie at RB.

I would hate the second one, because it means we'd resort to hoofing it again with almost no midfield whatsoever. Might get the result though, at the expense of horrid football.

I think he's more likely to go with 4-3-3 or the diamond, but I have an odd feeling that he might go with that 4-2-3-1 with Baird and Thorne, and Christie at RB.

I don't think it would necessarily result in hoofball. We have Thorne who can at least play. He's more than capable of spreading it, we need to play with width.

I don't think it would necessarily result in hoofball. We have Thorne who can at least play. He's more than capable of spreading it, we need to play with width.

Hughes and Baird would just get drawn into the backline, and then they'd be forced to take the direct route down the wings because there's nobody dropping into the middle to collect the ball. 4 strikers there.

Carson; Baird, keogh, Shacks, Forsyth; Thorne, Hendrick, Dawkins; Russell, Martin, Ince 

Subs: Grant, Ssewankambo, Pearce, Warnock, Hanson, Weimann, Bent

Go back to 4-3-3, particularly at home but manager still needs to find his settled team and formation, no shame in chopping in changing in such early days. 

Prediction: 2-1 win to Derby, goals from Hendrick and Martin

Same for me, although Weimann vs Russell is a coin-toss decision. 

Very much so. On performances so far, I'd probably prefer Russell but I'd question is impact on the left. Being left footed, I don't know if he's as effectve cutting inside.

If he plays wide left and hogs the touch-line, it blocks off the space for Forsyth to push up and go in behind the opposition fullback so it might not be a good idea having him out there.

That said, if he is comofrtable coming in off the left flank, then perhaps he'd be a better option than Weimann.

Gets my vote. Some of the more successful facets of our play over the last couple of seasons i would like to see us try to emulate would be....

- allowing Forsyth to bomb forward with a more defensively minded RB making up a back 3 "drift" defence when he does

- getting fast runners beyond the pivot at no 9

- the wider players of the front 3 coming short to the midfield 3 so we're almost a 4-5-1 when defending and then pushing out wide to create width when we're attacking

- a close compact midfield 3 that is part intricate passing and part 3rd man running, anchored by a tackling playmaker.

If we can see some of those features starting to emerge then i will be happy

genuine question: do you get paid every time someone clicks on one of these links to something you have written?

I get paid based on the amount of viewers per article yes. I'm quite happy to copy and paste stuff over to avoid people having to open a new page, but in this case it includes a picture which I had to embed, and the last time I tried that on here it didn't work.

As part of a new feature, I'm going to do a simialr piece for all of our league games this season.

Charlton have started off the season pretty well and they finished last season strongly too. I don't think this will be an easy game at all.

I just hope we the supporters can maintain a bit of discipline and patience. Remember how Jim Smith's first season started, with people calling for him to sacked in September at Barnsley and lavishing him with praise in May when we were promoted.

Our anxiety flows from the seats to the pitch. We just need to support with all our hearts until the players relax. Our good players are still good players. Our new players (Shackell, Weimann) are good players. The squad is a strong squad. It will come good but we have to play our part starting on Saturday.

I get paid based on the amount of viewers per article yes. I'm quite happy to copy and paste stuff over to avoid people having to open a new page, but in this case it includes a picture which I had to embed, and the last time I tried that on here it didn't work.

As part of a new feature, I'm going to do a simialr piece for all of our league games this season.

Charlton have started off the season pretty well and they finished last season strongly too. I don't think this will be an easy game at all.

I really don't see the issue of people having to click the link. It's a trusted website and you're forcing no one. It also costs them nothing and if it's making you a few quid on the side then it's win win if it's an enjoyable read, which it was for me.

As for your team, I'd definitely go for that, but would toy between Russell and Weimann. Baird needs to stay at right back. 

I suspect the below par performances from several members of the starting eleven against Portsmouth have gone a long way towards helping Clement decide who he can rely on and move forward with, not just for Charlton, but perhaps moving further on into the season. I got the distinct impression he was far from happy with certain individuals he perhaps expected more from. 

I think we will see an improved performance against Charlton and a hard fought victory. 

2-1. Martin, Ince.

Archived