Derby County v Charlton Athletic

Mafiabob

4-3-3 undoubtedly suits our players more, but a poor summer on the transfer front means we don't have that ideal player to play LW, and injuries leave us short in midfield.

Plus, an injury to Martin and we're forced to Bent up there or change to a diamond which then hinders a number of other players.

I can't believe we've spent about 10mill this summer and we're still short of players in key areas. Our recruitment team needs sacking.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got back from the match. Thorne was a class above everyone else. Hanson also played very well. I still think that it's compulsory that we get another defensive midfielder and attacking midfielder. Everyone gasped when Thorne went down and I don't think we can rely on him staying fit throughout the season because he goes in for the 50/50 balls a lot which risks him getting injured.

Today has given me confidence that the "old" Derby is still in there, we played well and would have won comfortably should our finishing have been better. I still don't think we will get anything out of Tuesday, it will be a tight game but they will knick it 

great performance   - shame about the result  ,   Charlton unfortunatly  came  and got what they wanted , playing two banks of four ,     scored a fluke goal  gave them abit of impetuous for a short period  ,  Just hope  the vultures of the premiership  wasnt there to watch  George Thorne    ,   no criticism from me  regarding any Derby player today :thumbsup:

I haven't seen the first two games, and missed the first 20 today as was travelling back, but I can't see what all the moaning is about on here.

We dominated the game, and on another day would have won that easily.  People talk about 10m spent on players, but you can't legislate for half of your midfield being injured in the first game.  All the formations worked on in pre season go out the window, and we are playing catch up in a fashion in training, so it's going to time to gel.

We will be fine this season, my worry was that clement didn't have the experience to do this job and would compromise our playing style, but based upon today, we will be fine, just need the first win.

27 goal attempts (6 on target)

14 corners

68% possession

Conceded through a dreadfully unlucky deflection looping over the keeper.

I'd say there are a lot of positives and we go into the Boro game with confidence. With all our possession and attacks but inability to finish, I was very surprised not to see Bent brought on. It seemed the perfect game for him to bag us a goal.

great performance   - shame about the result  ,   Charlton unfortunatly  came  and got what they wanted , playing two banks of four ,     scored a fluke goal  gave them abit of impetuous for a short period  ,  Just hope  the vultures of the premiership  wasnt there to watch  George Thorne    ,   no criticism from me  regarding any Derby player today :thumbsup:

im a massive fan of Thorne, dont get me wrong he is a different class,but I could play the simple ball in that position at 39 if everyone stands off and gives me 10 yards

We have been used to walking all over teams and scoring goals for fun. Clement is still finding his feet. The players need time to take on his ideas. Losing Hughes is a massive blow and it will be hard to get anyone close. He needs a bit of luck and things should start to pick up. 

Find it totally ridiculous for anyone to be getting concerned or worried at this stage.

All this, we spent 10 mill and should be instantly great...ermmm no!

Good performance, ok result. The most important thing was we recovered from the poor performance on wednesday.

He did play in a midfield three, twice last season against Blackpool and Hudderfield. Was MOTM on both occasions.

I don't think that Dawkins would have made much of a difference today. I'm his biggest fan but Dawkins' strength is that he is good at keeping the ball and keeping the ball ticking over. That wasn't an issue today, Thorne and Hanson did that very well. The lack of killer instict i.e players with the ability to make a key pass to unlock a packed defence and poor finishing stopped us from winning the game

PistoldPete2

Better performance 2nd half, some good signs gainst a tight well organised charlton who are no mugs.

thorne is the real gravy, Hanson did well. Some others still look. But sluggish, but martins goal was class so my be he will be back to his best soon. Russell not so good , nothing much from weimann either and bent oddly absent for the second successive game s inside sub. 

One worry is that we are playing it safe... Mac used to throw caution to the wind and bring the subs on. Not clem even when we are losing at home. W ecould have won today... Could have lost last week. Would give us three points for 1 win and  1 defeat, rather than 2 draws. 

Been watching this forum for many years but only just joined, anyway i think there are far more positives than negatives to take from today, Thorne - just wow. Hanson - so much potential and i wonder where his final position will be. Roll on Tuesday, just imagine how different we will all feel if we get 3 points, it's more than do-able.

Happy with today (especially so after Tuesday!)

Much improved team set up.

russell and ince gave us width and options.

george dominated the midfield.

the back four and the keeper all looked solid and composed.

we dominated possession and were a bit unlucky to go behind. They came with a game plan to frustrate us and it worked to an extent. We deserved a draw and possibly a win. 

I was a bit disappointed with the substitution when dawks maybe has that bit of something to have opened them up.

but still......more much encouraging.

i thought we looked a good side.

Archived