Players who have signed for the club, left, and go on to have a better career

Sam_DCFC_1994

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Topic title is kind of confusing, makes me think of players that we almost/could have signed, slipped through the net. But the question is then which players have played for Derby on loan or permanent and moved on to better things. 

Kris Commons to Celtic

Huddlestone and Rasiek to Spurs

Wanchope and Stimac to West Ham

Daveo goes into weird pedant mode? On a board that goes wildly off-topic at any opportunity, a tiny stray because of a badly phrased title/OP combination and we're being chastised. Someone definitely got out of bed the wrong side this morning...

They slipped through the net, didn't arrive, that's how I interpreted the thread.

Baggio was linked but I think he failed a medical or something

Wasn't failed a medical mate...

Daveo goes into weird pedant mode? On a board that goes wildly off-topic at any opportunity, a tiny stray because of a badly phrased title/OP combination and we're being chastised. Someone definitely got out of bed the wrong side this morning...

Chastised? I'd say you're being overly sensitive this morning, someone get out of bed the wrong side?

hmmm perhaps i should have been more careful with the title.

Think of a fish you have caught in the net, its yours (player has signed). Swimming around in that net for a few hours (playing matches for the club) then it slips through the net, and goes on to live a better life than what it would have had it stayed in the net, presumably clubbed to death and consumed. (moves on to a better club)

Thats my interpretation lol. Does anyone follow ?

So in short, the topic is about players who have signed for the club, left, and go on to have a better career elsewhere.

hmmm perhaps i should have been more careful with the title.

Think of a fish you have caught in the net, its yours (player has signed). Swimming around in that net for a few hours (playing matches for the club) then it slips through the net, and goes on to live a better life than what it would have had it stayed in the net, presumably clubbed to death and consumed. (moves on to a better club)

Thats my interpretation lol. Does anyone follow ?

So in short, the topic is about players who have signed for the club, left, and go on to have a better career elsewhere.

Sorry for the confusion :)

My list of players who went on to better or equivalent teams. I've not included Huddlestone as we had no choice in the matter.

Lee Grant - Released on a free by the poison dwarf, Grant went on to prove himself as one of the best 'keepers in the championship, whilst we suffered Tunky Wunky, Roy Carroll and Brad Jones.

Chris Powell - As Carl Sagan mentioned, this is undoubtedly the worst in recent memory. A paltry 1 million received for a player who would spend a further 6 seasons competing in the premiership and go on to represent England.

Lee Carsley - Whilst we received a decent transfer fee of 3 million for Carsley, I don't feel that it was adequate compensation for what we lost and we had no reason to sell.

Ian Evatt - Released on a free, Evatt hasn't had a spectacular career. He did prove himself to be a capable championship level centre back and has spent as much time in the premiership as Derby in the last decade.

Marcus Tudgay - Not a fantastic player, but the circumstances of his sale still irk me. Booted out by the orange one in the same season we had to suffer Dean Holdsworth and Stern John.

Jordan Mutch - Granted, there's not an awful lot we could've done to prevent him leaving our academy, but it's still annoying that such a good local talent never turned out for the Rams.

Rob Kozluk - Perhaps understandably sold as we tried to increase the quality of our squad in the premiership. The problem being that the supposed increase in quality was named Vas Borbokis.

Lee Grant - Released on a free by the poison dwarf, Grant went on to prove himself as one of the best 'keepers in the championship, whilst we suffered Tunky Wunky, Roy Carroll and Brad Jones.

Controversy alert! Wait 'til Ramnut sees this. This'll be good.

We had Yakubu on trial before he was famous

That was a work permit issue wasn't it! Then he married a European lady (swedish I think) and Portsmouth snapped him up!

Esteban Fuertes (another work permit one) 

My list of players who went on to better or equivalent teams. I've not included Huddlestone as we had no choice in the matter.

Chris Powell - As Carl Sagan mentioned, this is undoubtedly the worst in recent memory. A paltry 1 million received for a player who would spend a further 6 seasons competing in the premiership and go on to represent England.

Lee Carsley - Whilst we received a decent transfer fee of 3 million for Carsley, I don't feel that it was adequate compensation for what we lost and we had no reason to sell.

Ian Evatt - Released on a free, Evatt hasn't had a spectacular career. He did prove himself to be a capable championship level centre back and has spent as much time in the premiership as Derby in the last decade.

Marcus Tudgay - Not a fantastic player, but the circumstances of his sale still irk me. Booted out by the orange one in the same season we had to suffer Dean Holdsworth and Stern John.

Jordan Mutch - Granted, there's not an awful lot we could've done to prevent him leaving our academy, but it's still annoying that such a good local talent never turned out for the Rams.

Rob Kozluk - Perhaps understandably sold as we tried to increase the quality of our squad in the premiership. The problem being that the supposed increase in quality was named Vas Borbokis.

Just been reading up about Jordan Mutch and i cant believe that he is only 23!! Feels like hes been round for ageeeees. Been playing top flight football since 2012... Presumed he was closer to 30!

Pointless stating loan players, as we never had any real hope of signing them permanently due to their ties elsewhere. So I feel no loss with the likes of Osman, El Hamdhoui, Tomkins, etc.

Also academy players don't count, as we never bought them. So rules out the likes of Huddlestone, Riggott

But players we bought, and then later sold who went on to have better careers elsewhere:

Rory Delap, Chris Powell, Christian Dailly, Lee Carsley, Kris Commons are standouts

I recall Lee Carsley wanted to go, something to do with his poorly kid and needing to ensure that he cashed in whilst he could? Big loss for us at the time

Archived