Players who have signed for the club, left, and go on to have a better career

Sam_DCFC_1994

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Topic title is kind of confusing, makes me think of players that we almost/could have signed, slipped through the net. But the question is then which players have played for Derby on loan or permanent and moved on to better things. 

Kris Commons to Celtic

Huddlestone and Rasiek to Spurs

Wanchope and Stimac to West Ham

Topic title is kind of confusing, makes me think of players that we almost/could have signed, slipped through the net. But the question is then which players have played for Derby on loan or permanent and moved on to better things. 

Kris Commons to Celtic

Huddlestone and Rasiek to Spurs

Wanchope and Stimac to West Ham

Top wummimg

Giles Barnes?:ph34r:

Leon Osman

Andre Wisdom? :ph34r:

Arturo Lupoli?

Lupoli has come to nothing, playing is the poorer Serie A teams

Duncan mckenzie - it was rumoured that dave mackay was about to sign him - so brian clough signed him for Leeds just to stop us getting him.

i used to wonder what mckenzie and george would have been like together.

Duncan mckenzie - it was rumoured that dave mackay was about to sign him - so brian clough signed him for Leeds just to stop us getting him.

Wasn't his claim to fame that he could jump over the top of a Mini (car not skirt). Clearly discovered after a few cherry B shandies too many.

Wasn't there a story that Jim Smith was trying to get Paulo Di Canio here but couldn't get in touch with him due to some dodgy phone line? He ended up at West Ham & the rest is history. Or was it nonsense! 

Commons to Celtic 

That might only wind you up because of your personal opinion on Celtic.

Celtic are a huge club, he's gone on to win 4 titles, 3 cups, 2 player of the season awards played in the Champions League beating Barca, Europa League. If you don't think that's gone on to better things than playing the likes of Blackpool, Rotherham and finishing mid table in the 2nd tier of English football season after season then you're bonkers. 

That might only wind you up because of your personal opinion on Celtic.

Celtic are a huge club, he's gone on to win 4 titles, 3 cups, 2 player of the season awards played in the Champions League beating Barca, Europa League. If you don't think that's gone on to better things than playing the likes of Blackpool, Rotherham and finishing mid table in the 2nd tier of English football season after season then you're bonkers. 

Rangerless Scottish silverware isn't much of an achievement. Granted, I didn't realise his 2013-14 season was so good but I'd argue that he still spent half of the best season of his career at us. Hardly going on to bigger and better things. That's about my opinion of the league, not the club.

Rangerless Scottish silverware isn't much of an achievement. Granted, I didn't realise his 2013-14 season was so good but I'd argue that he still spent half of the best season of his career at us. Hardly going on to bigger and better things. That's about my opinion of the league, not the club.

Playing in the Champions League is one of the ultimate goals for a player, that and representing your country in a major tournament. You don't get any bigger than that, midweek European nights at the Nou Camp and San Siro or Bloomfield Road .

Can anybody think of players from any era that have joined Derby either permanently or on loan and gone on to better themselves since leaving? There aren't actually that many that i can think of! I'll start us off...

Alberto Bueno - Joined on loan from Rayo Vallecano, not really rated by Nige, signed for Porto FC this transfer window after a brilliant season in La Liga.

Mounir El Hamdoui - Joined on loan twice from Tottenham i think? Never had time to make much of an impression because of injuries. Could be wrong but im sure he went on to be the record signing in the Eredivise 4/5 years ago. Now playing for Fiorentina.

Robberto Baggio? Although he was too old it would've been a great signing

These 2 didn't play for Derby

Archived