Players who have signed for the club, left, and go on to have a better career

Sam_DCFC_1994

Can anybody think of players from any era that have joined Derby either permanently or on loan and gone on to better themselves since leaving? There aren't actually that many that i can think of! I'll start us off...

Alberto Bueno - Joined on loan from Rayo Vallecano, not really rated by Nige, signed for Porto FC this transfer window after a brilliant season in La Liga.

Mounir El Hamdoui - Joined on loan twice from Tottenham i think? Never had time to make much of an impression because of injuries. Could be wrong but im sure he went on to be the record signing in the Eredivise 4/5 years ago. Now playing for Fiorentina.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two more loan players

Danny graham... Never looked like a striker when he was on loan with us

James Tompkins now established at West Ham. 

Tompkins was one I was trying to think of.

Danny Graham couldn't hit a barn door when we was with us but went on to be prolific - for a while. Tailed off again recently though.

He has already been said but Mounir El Hamdaoui is probably one of the biggest ones of the last 10 years.  Even with his injury problems, I felt he looked so much more at home than Bueno did (who I was also a fan of) and when he got hold of the ball, he was one of those players who got the crowd excited.  I still wish we snapped him up before he moved to Willem II.

We've let a fair few slip through in my time watching Derby (Leon Osman is a bit before me) but I'm very happy that the tide is turning with us being able to keep hold of players like Bent and Ince :-)

Kubik and Knoflicek were the two who instantly sprang to mind, in that they were introduced to the BBG crowd but we couldn't persuade FIFA to greenlight their claim. And another paraded to the fans was of course Ian Storey Moore.

If people want people who actually played for us who we shouldn't have let go, Chrissy Powell was an unfathomable piece of business by the Bald Eagle. Crazy decision that made me bash my head against the wall for a long time.

And then everyone D*******ty sold to destroy the team and bring in his dross.

Archived